Speculation: 2015 NJDevils offseason game plan

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Those deals would make this team sucks long term and short term. Rebuilding is the only way to do things. Elite goaltenders can wins Cups well past an average goalie's prime, and Cory is elite in my opinion.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Those deals would make this team sucks long term and short term. Rebuilding is the only way to do things. Elite goaltenders can wins Cups well past an average goalie's prime, and Cory is elite in my opinion.

Here is the main reason I want Kessel: I believe that this team should not go into rebuilding mode. I believe this team is two pure goal scorers away from being a very good hockey team. If we went into a 3-5 year rebuild, how do we know that Cory Schneider will still be the same Cory Schneider as he is now ? In my opinion, Schneider is the fourth best goaltender in the world. The only goaltenders I think are better than him right now are Price, Lundqvist, and Rinne. If we go into rebuild mode, we have to trade Schneider too because he is gonna drag us 3-6 spots up in the standings, therefore giving us worse draft picks. I don't see a reason to rebuild when you have a top goalie on ur team who is already almost in his 30s

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Here is the main reason I want Kessel: I believe that this team should not go into rebuilding mode. I believe this team is two pure goal scorers away from being a very good hockey team. If we went into a 3-5 year rebuild, how do we know that Cory Schneider will still be the same Cory Schneider as he is now ? In my opinion, Schneider is the fourth best goaltender in the world. The only goaltenders I think are better than him right now are Price, Lundqvist, and Rinne. If we go into rebuild mode, we have to trade Schneider too because he is gonna drag us 3-6 spots up in the standings, therefore giving us worse draft picks. I don't see a reason to rebuild when you have a top goalie on ur team who is already almost in his 30s

Lundqvist is still among the best and he's no spring chicken. Look how old Belfour and Hasek were when they win Cups. Look at Osgood or Vernon. Great goaltenders have a very long shelf-life.

Besides, getting two elite goal scorers is extremely difficult and guaranteed to open up holes elsewhere in the organization. We would become a team with two great goal scorers, one great goalie and no depth to speak of. How would they help in the long or short term?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To me it all depends on what you're giving up for Kessel. If Toronto is desperate to get rid of him and is selling him cheap, I'd be okay with it. But I highly doubt that will be the case.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Giving up valuable assets such as core players or futures for one player isn't the way to go. Phil Kessel won't fix our problems in the long term. He probably woudn't fix our problems in the short term either. He is a highly valued asset (protip for the OP: would you trade Kessel for 13 points and a couple of meh-tier prospects if he played for your team?) and I don't think he would fit on this team.

I would like us to deal for Chiasson and R. Smith. Chiasson is worth a flyer and Smith would be a top-6 player on this team easily. Neither would cost too much and they would immediately make this team younger and faster.

Oshie to NJD would also make way too much sense, although is seems like people don't like the idea of trading for him. I would personally love to snag one of Ottawas youngsters, preferably Zibanejad or Hoffman, but I know their value is pretty high so I don't see it happening. Jakob Silfverberg is another RW I would like on this team.

Other players/prospects worthy of a look: Kerby Rychel, Boone Jenner, Teemu Pulkkinen, Matt Puempel

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Kessel may be a complimentary piece but should not be THE primary piece. Problem is his salary pays him like the primary. Kessel can pot goals, sure, but I don't think he has the ability to carry a team on his back (Kovy did that) like many other star players earning that kind of money. Look at guys like OV8, Crosby, Malkin, Perry, Kane/Toews, etc....they all do this.

I agree that a long rebuild is not necessary since in my mind, we've already been in a rebuild mode for the past few years, Lou just wasn't 100% committed to it and still tried to keep us competitive enough by plugging in holes with UFA's. We've been building fro the goal on out and the defense looks to be taking shape. An added vet presence would really help. Now it's time to focus on the forwards. Going after someone like Kessel in a trade will cost the team in prospects and futures and I don't think we can afford that. A frugal trade for a younger guy with potential to grow is more apt to cost muchg less in salary and assets given up. This shoud lbe augmented with looking at overseas players, undrafted guys coming out of college that are older and could step in within the next year or two, and solid drafting.

This year, the team should just look to implement their new philosophies and begin to show signs of improvement. Perhaps targeting around 87-90 points. It may not get you into the playoffs but is a step forward. By the second year, our young guys should be maturing, this years pick should step in and we should be contending for a playoff spot.

Who is going to score goals is the big question right now - I just don't think Kessel with his salary, attitude, personality, and performance history, is the right fit for this team.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
To me it all depends on what you're giving up for Kessel. If Toronto is desperate to get rid of him and is selling him cheap, I'd be okay with it. But I highly doubt that will be the case.

Most I'd pay for Kessel is 2015 2nd+2016 2nd, and even then I would be hesitant.

That contract is just so big, and Kessel is such a ****ing loser. But he does score.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Giving up valuable assets such as core players or futures for one player isn't the way to go. Phil Kessel won't fix our problems in the long term. He probably woudn't fix our problems in the short term either. He is a highly valued asset (protip for the OP: would you trade Kessel for 13 points and a couple of meh-tier prospects if he played for your team?) and I don't think he would fit on this team.

I would like us to deal for Chiasson and R. Smith. Chiasson is worth a flyer and Smith would be a top-6 player on this team easily. Neither would cost too much and they would immediately make this team younger and faster.

Oshie to NJD would also make way too much sense, although is seems like people don't like the idea of trading for him. I would personally love to snag one of Ottawas youngsters, preferably Zibanejad or Hoffman, but I know their value is pretty high so I don't see it happening. Jakob Silfverberg is another RW I would like on this team.

Other players/prospects worthy of a look: Kerby Rychel, Boone Jenner, Teemu Pulkkinen, Matt Puempel

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd put money on Boston moving Reilly Smith this offseason. He's decently expensive ($3.5M+), and Boston can easily just roll with Eriksson-Pastrnak-Connolly as their top-9 RW. If I'm Sweeney (that's their guy now, right?), that's a no brainer for me.

I was discussing Scarlett for Namestnikov with a few Lightning fans. They're looking for a bottom-pairing RHD, so I brought up Scarlett and Hrabarenka. That, IMO, is exactly the type of trade we need to be making this offseason. One that doesn't touch any of our NHL D, but still returns us a young forward that can play on our team next year.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Pure speculation on my part, but I'd put money on Boston moving Reilly Smith this offseason. He's decently expensive ($3.5M+), and Boston can easily just roll with Eriksson-Pastrnak-Connolly as their top-9 RW. If I'm Sweeney (that's their guy now, right?), that's a no brainer for me.

I was discussing Scarlett for Namestnikov with a few Lightning fans. They're looking for a bottom-pairing RHD, so I brought up Scarlett and Hrabarenka. That, IMO, is exactly the type of trade we need to be making this offseason. One that doesn't touch any of our NHL D, but still returns us a young forward that can play on our team next year.
This would be a good move if they could pull it off. Just what we need to do: maximize the assets we have and use them wisely. I wouldn't be against trading one of our NHL d-men for a NHL forward straight up if the value right.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This would be a good move if they could pull it off. Just what we need to do: maximize the assets we have and use them wisely. I wouldn't be against trading one of our NHL d-men for a NHL forward straight up if the value right.

Me neither, but I vote up any trade that allows us to bring in a forward that can help in 15-16, and doesn't cost any of our NHL D.

That, to me, is gravy. And that's what Shero should be investigating this summer.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Scarlett for Namestnikov? No way TB makes that deal.

Edit: Merrill for Namestnikov maybe. Even there we prob need to add.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm wondering that too. The 22 yr old former first round pick who scored 9 goals in 43 games this season? That guy?

Draft position MEANS. NOTHING. after Draft Day. I will never understand this flawed logic.

Namestnikov is behind a large logjam at center for TB, and there isn't even room on the wings for him. He'll be moved for D help, at least based off TB fan speculation.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Draft position MEANS. NOTHING. after Draft Day. I will never understand this flawed logic.

Namestnikov is behind a large logjam at center for TB, and there isn't even room on the wings for him. He'll be moved for D help, at least based off TB fan speculation.

Why is it flawed logic? It's not like Namestnikov has not been good. The lineage of his draft position has not been broken.

Scarlett and Hrabarenka were discussed, FWIW.

By whom?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Why is it flawed logic? It's not like Namestnikov has not been good. The lineage of his draft position has not been broken.

It absolutely is flawed logic, and shouldn't be brought up when discussing a player's trade value.

Steve Bernier was taken 16th his draft year. You think Edmonton would dish us 16 OA this year for him?

After the selection is made, draft position means absolutely nothing. From then on, it's all about the player.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It absolutely is flawed logic, and shouldn't be brought up when discussing a player's trade value.

Steve Bernier was taken 16th his draft year. You think Edmonton would dish us 16 OA this year for him?

After the selection is made, draft position means absolutely nothing. From then on, it's all about the player.

The bigger question is what other teams will offer for Namestnikov. My guess is it would be more than Scarlett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad