Speculation: 2015 NJDevils offseason game plan

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
UPDATED DEVILS OFFSEASON GAME PLAN AS OF JUNE 28 MORNING. THE DAY AFTER THE DRAFT.

I do not want to see a full blown rebuild. A 1-2 year transition to get a youth movement in full effect isn't a terrible idea though.

The main reason I do not want to see a rebuild is this: Cory Schneider is too good of a goalie to sit through a rebuild. In my opinion, the top NHL goaltenders in order are: Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, Schneider, Rask, Quick.... You can't have a top 5 goalie on your team, and try to rebuild at the same time because Schneider alone will pull the Devils up 4-6 spots in the standings, therefore weakening our shot at the #1 draft pick.

With the recent moves of the Palmieri acquisition and the drafting of Pavel Zacha, Mackenzie Blackwood, Blake Speers, Colton White, and Brett Seney, here is my opinions on these moves, and how I want to see the Devils go about the rest of their offseason:

I am in full support of the Palmieri trade: basically traded 20 games of Jaromir Jagr for Kyle Palmieri. Great trade.

I am in full support of the Zacha pick: before the draft, I would've preferred Barzal, or trading the 6 and other pieces to get O'Reilly and the 10th. Now after seeing Barzal drop so far, it makes me feel a whole lot better about Zacha. Im excited for this. However, I still wish there was a way we could've acquired O'Reilly. The guy is 24 and is a stud.

I am in full support of the Mackenzie Blackwood pick: Sure we needed forwards, but if Devils believed that Blackwood was the best player available, and they also acquired another 3rd round pick next year in the process, I like it. Devils needed another goalie in the system, and I'm happy we have a top prospect goalie rather than a middle level prospect.

I am a bit disappointed that Gomez won't be back, but I can understand the decision. I have no problem with Bernier, Harrold, Fraser, Havlat, Ryder, and Salvador not coming back.

Here's where to go from here in my opinion:

Resign Larsson (I'm thinking maybe like 6 years in the 3-4.5 million per season range, kinda like the Henrique deal)

Resign Gelinas for one or two years, low cost

On July 1:
Sign one of (Paul Martin, Johnny Oduya, Andrei Sekera, or Francois Beauchemin) to a 1-3 year contract
Sign UFA forward Michael Frolik to a 3-5 year contract.

LINEUP
1. Henrique
2. Palmieri
3. Cammalleri
4. Zacha*
5. Zajac
6. Elias
7. Frolik
8. Boucher
9. Matteau
10. Josefson
11. Gionta
12. Zubrus
Extras: Ruutu, Tootoo, Paul Thompson, Kalinin, Blandisi, Whitney, Sislo

* What does everyone think Shero should do with Zacha? I vote to let him play in our first 9 NHL games. If he's visibly ready for the NHL, and ready to contribute to a top 6 forward position, they should keep him. And if he's clearly not ready, send him back to junior and don't waste an ELC year. If he stays, and then his play happens to decline throughout the season, they can still just send him back to junior, only wasting 1 year of the ELC.

Greene-Larsson
UFA-Severson
Merrill-Gelinas
Extras: Helgeson, Hrabarenka

Schneider
Kinkaid
Extra: Wedgewood

Prospect pool highlighted by: Pavel Zacha, John Quenneville, Steven Santini, Josh Jacobs, and Mackenzie Blackwood

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Larsson will get a bridge deal, somewhere like 2-3 years 2-3 million. He only has played very well in the last half of this season. I doubt they'll give him a 6 year contract for 3.5-4. It also doesn't make sense for Larsson because if he plays very well he could potentially earn a couple more million a year on his next deal.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
His goal totals in the NHL are no joke. That man knows how to score. Devils need that. New Jersey has always been excellent at changing player attitudes and forcing them to 'buy in' or else they will not play. I'm sure Lou will pass that down to Shero. And hey, if it really doesn't work out after 2-3 years, then you trade him again. There will be teams interested. Take a chance on this guy. His stats don't lie.

2009- 70 GP, 36 goals
2010- 70 GP, 30 goals
2011- 82 GP, 32 goals
2012- 82 GP, 37 goals
2013- 48 GP, 20 goals (34 goal pace if not for lockout)
2014- 82 GP 37 goals
2015- 82 GP 25 goals

Any notice how durable he is too??? He hasn't missed a game since 2010!!

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
If we were a contender, sure. But we're not. We don't need him right now and we are in no position to be giving up assets for him

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Larsson will get a bridge deal, somewhere like 2-3 years 2-3 million. He only has played very well in the last half of this season. I doubt they'll give him a 6 year contract for 3.5-4. It also doesn't make sense for Larsson because if he plays very well he could potentially earn a couple more million a year on his next deal.

I think it makes sense for both NJ and Larsson because this:

Larsson taking a risk of losing out some money but ensuring he will be getting around 25 million dollars.(before taxes)

Devils taking a risk because if he doesn't pan out, they paid him that much for no reason, but if he does pan out, then they get him at a bargain! Kind of like how Mcdonagh's contract is a bargain for NYR and look how well that's working out. Same could be the case for Larsson

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Until this team is a perennial playoff team again, I am not comfortable dealing any first round picks until draft day, depending on the deal of course.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Until this team is a perennial playoff team again, I am not comfortable dealing any first round picks until draft day, depending on the deal of course.

Devils could probably even change the 2016 1st rounder to a 2nd and a 4th and Toronto would still accept. They want a change in scenery, and Kessel's contract brings down his value because not many teams can afford him. NJ can afford him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Doesn't Kessel's NTC include eight teams he'd be dealt to, and we aren't on that list anyway? So scratch that.

Yep, here's the link:

http://www.tsn.ca/on-kessel-free-agents-trades-and-more-1.307528

Kessel's limited NTC is believed to include eight teams he can be traded to. Prior to the trade deadline, TSN reported those eight teams were believed to be: Boston; Chicago; Los Angeles; Minnesota; Montreal; New York Rangers; Philadelphia; and Pittsburgh.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No Kessel.

A player like Kessel should be added ~3 years down the line when this team is turning the corner and needs something to put them over the edge.

The off-season plan should just be to give the opportunity to our young players, sign stop gap UFA forwards with the intention of flipping them for picks at the deadline (St. Louis), sign a couple of guys with potential (Stewart, Paajarvi, Kalinin falls under here as well), maybe a young guy under the right contract (Frolik, Soderberg), and possibly a mentor or physical guy for the defense (Ehrhoff, Martin, Oduya, McQuaid). Other than that, we just need to suck it up and let the rebuild run its course.

We should not be trading high picks at all. That's what you do when you're trying to push your way out of the rebuild. Getting Kessel would just gut the team of the few good assets we have.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Trade Merrill for Malkin ...we might have to add our 2nd though.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Devils could probably even change the 2016 1st rounder to a 2nd and a 4th and Toronto would still accept. They want a change in scenery, and Kessel's contract brings down his value because not many teams can afford him. NJ can afford him.

Not only do I want to keep the first, I do not want Kessel.

Guy is a clown. "You never played" to the media, blah blah blah.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, we don't need goals or anything. If Toronto called up and offered Kessel for Zubrus and Ruutu, I'd say no too.:laugh:

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

yeah giving up the 6 overall plus a defensive prospect for kessel would tick me off... lets develop our own guys lets see if we have top 6 forwards in matteau boucher josefson... etc. build within system, add the pieces in free agency if the youngsters prove to be worthy... we still have another year of stockpiling assets at draft etc. if it looks bleak.

i still would consider poaching one of edmontons young forwards on draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad