Post-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft: The Boston Ruins Edition

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Corey Pronman gave us a B. Not sure how with his assessment, but I agree with what he said.

"Organizational assessment: The Devils' system got a huge boost with the addition of sixth-overall pick Pavel Zacha. I didn't think the needle moved too much on Saturday for the Devils. I like Mackenzie Blackwood and Blake Speers, but there wasn't a huge surge of talent into the system on Day 2."

I think this means they didn't make the best choices but they didn't screw up either? That sounds more like a C to me?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
A 3rd next year and #42 does not equal a #36 in a very deep draft...not even close.

While I have no problem with the Palmieri trade and actually like it, he is not a prospect and does nothing for the prospect pool...

That was ok though, cause we added help and still had #36, #67 and #97 to crush this draft. But we missed terribly coming away with only Speers as our only forward prospect from that pile of assets in what I think will prove to be one best drafts we've seen in the last 12 years...you can't make up for that in future drafts.

If you want to blame someone for this blame Dallas and Boston. First Dallas takes Guryanov who should have gone between 20 and 30. Then Boston takes DeBrusk who should have gone in the same range and Senyshyn who should have gone between 30 and 40. When they took those players they created a dominoe effect where everybody was trying to grab the next best forward.

Just look at the rankings for these players:

Guryanov: ranked 24th best prospect by ISS, taken 12 overall
DeBrusk: 27th best prospect by ISS, taken 14 overall
Senyshyn: 39th best prospect, taken 15 overall

This leaves a bunch of forward prospects that clearly should have gone higher but fell, leaving teams no choice but to draft them. Then Roslovic, Boeser, Fischer, and Beauvillier all get drafted. My guess is that we were targeting Senyshyn(or another RW) and Blackwood with our second rounders in the first place, thinking that there is no chance Boston goes crazy. When Senyshyn gets drafted Shero trades the second rounder for Palmieri, then trades down and picks up another pick while still getting one of their favorite prospects.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I gave my short term grade (A-) in an earlier post, but long term, I will consider this draft successful if one player besides Zacha and Palmieri becomes a solid, regular, and contributing NHLer for the Devils.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you want to blame someone for this blame Dallas and Boston. First Dallas takes Guryanov who should have gone between 20 and 30. Then Boston takes DeBrusk who should have gone in the same range and Senyshyn who should have gone between 30 and 40. When they took those players they created a dominoe effect where everybody was trying to grab the next best forward.

Just look at the rankings for these players:

Guryanov: ranked 24th best prospect by ISS, taken 12 overall
DeBrusk: 27th best prospect by ISS, taken 14 overall
Senyshyn: 39th best prospect, taken 15 overall

This leaves a bunch of forward prospects that clearly should have gone higher but fell, leaving teams no choice but to draft them. Then Roslovic, Boeser, Fischer, and Beauvillier all get drafted. My guess is that we were targeting Senyshyn(or another RW) and Blackwood with our second rounders in the first place, thinking that there is no chance Boston goes crazy. When Senyshyn gets drafted Shero trades the second rounder for Palmieri, then trades down and picks up another pick while still getting one of their favorite prospects.
I don't know man...I think you are making a better argument for not drafting a goalie... If the Bruins overreached in the middle of the first round that should've pushed talent downward... that is a dream scenario for someone sitting at #36? No?

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
I'd like to note that everyone giving Shero a B+/A- will be calling for Conte's head if the picks don't work out. I don't like our draft at all. I think Zacha will bust, and I really think it would've been wise to trade back a few spots and stockpile assets. Then our only remaining second is wasted on a goalie when we have Cory locked up longterm and a young, promising backup? I would have liked to see a forward there. I think it's unlikely anyone after the third round every cracks our roster, so while I like the Palmieri trade, from this draft, he is the only guy I see ever contributing in any meaningful way to our team which is really lousy considering where we are now.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
do you not think they didn't try to trade back? It might have just been PR for Kekelainen to say Werenski was who next on their BPA. If the Blue Jackets picked Provorov at 6 then there would be a good chance that the Devils surrender Zacha to Philly.

And I think Shero relied on Conte anyway considering he has never seen Speers or White play. So if it's a good draft in a few years it'll probably should be Conte's praise more than anything.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
do you not think they didn't try to trade back? It might have just been PR for Kekelainen to say Werenski was who next on their BPA. If the Blue Jackets picked Provorov at 6 then there would be a good chance that the Devils surrender Zacha to Philly.

Pretty sure TG put out an article that said Shero was looking at it but it didn't work out. I think with Columbus, who didn't want to. Which is something a lot of people forget it seems, like oh yea Shero should definitely trade back it's so easy! As if the other team will just accept no matter what... takes two to tango people.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

And I think Shero relied on Conte anyway considering he has never seen Speers or White play. So if it's a good draft in a few years it'll probably should be Conte's praise more than anything.
Shero admitted he knew very little about these picks. :laugh:

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I don't know man...I think you are making a better argument for not drafting a goalie... If the Bruins overreached in the middle of the first round that should've pushed talent downward... that is a dream scenario for someone sitting at #36? No?

It did push talent downward but not talent that the scouting staff wanted. These are the notable players we could have drafted at 36: D Brandon Carlo, LW Paul Bittner, RW Daniel Sprong, C Jansen Harkins, C Filip Chlapik, LW Roope Hintz, LW Jordan Greenway, D Oliver Kylington, RW Jeremy Bracco. We have enough left wings, centers, and defensemen in the pipeline as it is, so that leaves Sprong and Bracco. Sprong is a known headcase and went to a team desparate for talent on the wings. I guess Bracco's size scared teams away, so he went to the draft-all-the-fallers-on-the-ISS-Final-List Leafs.

My guess is that Shero would not have traded the second rounders if Senyshyn, Boeser, Roslovic, or Fischer were available.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Corey Pronman gave us a B. Not sure how with his assessment, but I agree with what he said.

"Organizational assessment: The Devils' system got a huge boost with the addition of sixth-overall pick Pavel Zacha. I didn't think the needle moved too much on Saturday for the Devils. I like Mackenzie Blackwood and Blake Speers, but there wasn't a huge surge of talent into the system on Day 2."

I think this means they didn't make the best choices but they didn't screw up either? That sounds more like a C to me?

The Devils had 5 picks in this draft, so what Pronman said is correct. If they'd had 9 picks and made good selections with them, the assessment may have changed.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I think Shero stressed what he wanted out of the prospects drafted which seems to be skating ability.

But yeah Shero has to trust his scouting staff.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm sure Shero mostly relied on Conte for the draft picks, but I think most GMs leave drafting to the scouting. Shero is the GM who is ultimately responsible for overseeing what Conte did at the draft, though. As such, he deserves whatever credit or blame results from this draft, as does Conte. The Palmieri trade is also entirely something that Shero brought about, so he can be evaluated on the basis of that. More than one person can be responsible for something. In this case, both Shero and Conte are responsible for whatever (good or ill) emerges from this draft.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zacha was a great pick, adding Palmieri was an excellent move...

I think where we fell short was adding more talent into the pipeline... if we just kept our #36 and picked a skater this draft looks very different from what it actually was.

Zacha,#36 Forward say Sprong as an example who was the next RW taken and Speers is a far better place to be than just Zacha and Speers.

RW organizational depth would've been revamped with Sprong, Speers and Chatham.. another level of talent would've been added to the overall organizational depth chart...that is just an example, it could've been anyone, even a Dman like Dunn would've been better.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm sure Shero mostly relied on Conte for the draft picks, but I think most GMs leave drafting to the scouting. Shero is the GM who is ultimately responsible for overseeing what Conte did at the draft, though. As such, he deserves whatever credit or blame results from this draft, as does Conte. The Palmieri trade is also entirely something that Shero brought about, so he can be evaluated on the basis of that. More than one person can be responsible for something. In this case, both Shero and Conte are responsible for whatever (good or ill) emerges from this draft.
And trading down from #36 to #42
was almost certainly 100% Shero.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha was a great pick, adding Palmieri was an excellent move...

I think where we fell short was adding more talent into the pipeline... if we just kept our #36 and picked a skater this draft looks very different from what it actually was.

Zacha,#36 Forward say Sprong as an example who was the next RW taken and Speers is a far better place to be than just Zacha and Speers.

RW organizational depth would've been revamped with Sprong, Speers and Chatham.. another level of talent would've been added to the overall organizational depth chart...that is just an example, it could've been anyone, even a Dman like Dunn would've been better.

I think you, and for others our final grade totally depends on how you feel about the Blackwood pick.

I think the majority like or are on board for all our other picks. Everyone likes the Kyle trade too.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

i gave us a B+ or so only for not ****ing up too hard.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think you, and for others our final grade totally depends on how you feel about the Blackwood pick.

I think the majority like or are on board for all our other picks. Everyone likes the Kyle trade too.

Actually I don't like the White pick either...

Not because he's a defenseman, I love Dmen and would take them all, but because of the question marks I've seen about his physical ability coupled with lackluster production...I understand his lower production is because of where he is on his team's depth chart and the opportunity he's had...but if you are talking a weak physically offensive defenseman I'd like to see more points to use a top 100 pick...

Couple these question marks of physical ability and low points with fact that we didn't get a skater in the second round I find this selection very questionable.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And trading down from #36 to #42
was almost certainly 100% Shero.

I don't mind the trade down, a 3rd pick for 6 spots seems about right.

I just don't like picking a goalie there.

The rest of the draft looks real good imo. A big fast talented fwd, trading for a fairly proven 24 yr old, speers looks good, the little guy in the 6th rnd looks good.

So when I look at it like that the draft as a whole was excellent. Just didn't like using a 2nd rnd pick on a goalie. Why the heck are we drafting a goalie? But Im coming to grips.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Thursday afternoon all I hoped for was that our prospect pool depth was going to be completely revamped with #36, #41 #67 #97 in the top 100.

Walking away with 1 forward prospects from that is extremely disappointing.

I think you have to look at the big picture here. First, #67 was a result of trading back because the Devils didn't have a third round pick. Second, and I'm going to steal a line from Classic Devil, where he said that if you can get two NHLers out of a draft then you came out in great shape. Well the Devils came out with one for sure in Palmieri although I know that's not exactly what he had in mind, but Palmieri is a surefire top 9 forward with potential to play in the top 6. If you picked at the end of the first or the begining of the second, you'd probably be ecstatic if your pick turns out as good as that. The best part is that he's only 24 and will only be a RFA after next year so he could potentially be a Devil for a long time. I'm kind of hoping that this turns out to be like a Langenbrunner situation where he realizes his potential in a new situation.

Zacha IMO is okay. Has lots of potential but he has a long road to get there. They couldn't do better though since none of the key guys fell so you have to be happy with what you got.

Mackenzie, Speers, White and Seney are interesting long term picks. Speers and Seney seem like home run type of guys so we might not know what we have until they make it to the pro level.

I'm indifferent towards the Mackenzie pick but I do think investing in the position early is smart. Personally, I don't want to be put in the position where I have to trade another first round pick for a goalie and the development time table for Mackenzie lines up right around the end of Schneider's contract so I think it's good investment that could pay off when we need him too. Also take into account that there will be a lot of other good forwards available in the draft between then and the time Schneider is ready to relinquish the net, but top tier goaltenders becoming available is a lot more rare. Middle of the road guys are available every year, but Cory Schneider's don't come around too often. The other top guys like Rask, Quick, Price, Lundqvist are not hitting the market in their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad