Post-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft: The Boston Ruins Edition

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Back at the hotel now. Not as many post-draft run ins with folks like in past years. Seems like most of the NHL folks and media are camped out in Fort Lauderdale (25 minutes east of arena). I had breakfast in Fort Lauderdale yesterday and a table of Nashville scouts were nearby. A couple Blues and Hawks guys were nearby too. As I was leaving, a table full of non-hockey looking guys were seated. As I'm making my way out, I overhear them talking about Provorov.

Got a picture with Blackwood and wished him luck with the WJC. I did get a laugh when Tyler Moy was drafted. At first, I thought it was a typo of Tyler Soy. Then I remembered Tyler Moy is a guy from San Diego who is a friend of a friend. Snapped a photo of the draft board and passed it along. Just putting two and two together as Nashville wanted to sign Moy's teammate Jimmy Vesey who decided to come back for his senior year.

I'll post pics when I get home next week.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'll give Shero a solid B+ for this draft.

Zacha is a slam dunk, Speers is a legitimate sleeper pick, Seney and Ehite are nice project picks to put on the shelf for a while, and while I don't like picking a goalie I must say Blackwood is a very good prospect.

Not to mention picking up Palmieri and another 3rd for next year. He did a very good job IMO.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
giving Shero a B+. wanted to say A- but brings negative connotations

• Zacha was a good pick at 6. Mutual interest is always a great thing.
  • Blackwood is divisive but I believe its a fine pick. We'll see how things play out in a few years
  • Trade for Palmieri very solid. Young, stuck in a deep system, fills a need. Shero making the correct plays we've been waiting for.
  • Speers is a solid 3rd Rounder. Didnt know much about him but everything I've heard since is good
  • Like Colton White with 4th. Adds to the LD depth that gets surprisingly weak after the first few.
  • Seney a fine 6th. Better than wasted on a goon
  • Shero much more open with media and fans. Much prefer this approach honestly
  • Hitting the ground running addressing needs. Any worry I had about Shero is subsided a fair bit
  • Misses out on an A as nothing really STANDS OUT. Reserving A grades for Isles, Flames, Flyers etc

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I give Shero a Solid B.

Reasons being what has already been said really. Blackwood pick (as it stands now) is the reason he doesnt have a B+

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I'll give it an A-. The player selection would be a B, an B+ if he drafted a forward with #41, but the Palmieri trade was something out of nowhere. Nobody speculated he was on the outs, and I've seen nobody suggest Palmieri as an acquisition. He's got speed and he's the right age :sarcasm:

My only issue with this draft is that I wish Shero found a way to get 16 overall.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
For Shero's first draft as Devils GM, I award him an A- as of now. My breakdown as to why follows:

1) Pavel Zacha: Zacha was one of a few forwards I would have been happy to see Shero take. Zacha's got great size, skating, and shot. He also seems to have a big heart and want to be here as well. I just have a good feeling about Zacha being the right choice for the Devils, the center that we can build around for awhile. Now the task is to develop him properly, but the pick itself was good in my opinion, no matter what Bleacher Report and main boards sneer on the contrary.

2) Palmieri trade: I like this trade a lot. It helps address our pitiful RW situation with a young forward entering his prime who hopefully will be able to slot into this team's top six as soon as next season. He'll be an RFA, not a UFA, when his current cheap contract expires, so the Devils will hopefully be able to lock up some of his UFA years. Palmieri makes us better now but also can contribute in the future so long as he can be signed long-term. A New Jersey boy also comes home, and he has been coached by Hynes, so those are added benefits.

3) MacKenzie Blackwood: Honestly, I would have liked to draft a forward here, but Blackwood was a top-rated goalie prospect and the Devils seem to be really high on him. I'm going to wait and see what becomes of Blackwood before I judge this pick as bad, because there's every chance Blackwood will end up showing why the scouting staff was so impressed with him.

4) Blake Speers: Love this pick. The Canadian junior numbers stack up well against even some of the top forwards in this draft, and he seems to have considerable playmaking abilities. From his interview, it's also clear that he intends to work on his size and shooting. I think this kid has the potential to make other teams regret overlooking him because of his short stature.

5) Colton White: I like drafting a left defenseman who can skate well and make smart passes. It also intrigues me that quite a few scouts predict a breakout season from him and some untapped offensive potential. The Devils might have drafted another good defenseman here.

6) Brett Seney: Like his speed and his hands. He's really about as promising a pick as a sixth rounder can be.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I thought we had a really solid draft. I'm not going to give it a grade but we took all players with speed and lots of potential. No tough guys who have no offensive upside for once.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Thursday afternoon all I hoped for was that our prospect pool depth was going to be completely revamped with #36, #41 #67 #97 in the top 100.

Walking away with 1 forward prospects from that is extremely disappointing.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Thursday afternoon all I hoped for was that our prospect pool depth was going to be completely revamped with #36, #41 #67 #97 in the top 100.

Walking away with 1 forward prospects from that is extremely disappointing.

we get 1 back next year in the 3rd round, and we got palmieri for that 41 (who's already proven he's an NHLer), so is it really that bad? its as if everyone is now wanting the prospects now. we're still a ways away, so it'll be a slow rebuild. it'll be nice to have that extra 3rd next year from ott

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
we get 1 back next year in the 3rd round, and we got palmieri for that 41 (who's already proven he's an NHLer), so is it really that bad? its as if everyone is now wanting the prospects now. we're still a ways away, so it'll be a slow rebuild. it'll be nice to have that extra 3rd next year from ott

A 3rd next year and #42 does not equal a #36 in a very deep draft...not even close.

While I have no problem with the Palmieri trade and actually like it, he is not a prospect and does nothing for the prospect pool...

That was ok though, cause we added help and still had #36, #67 and #97 to crush this draft. But we missed terribly coming away with only Speers as our only forward prospect from that pile of assets in what I think will prove to be one best drafts we've seen in the last 12 years...you can't make up for that in future drafts.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Any great steals by any team in rounds 2+?

No need for "steals" in the 2nd round of this draft there were plenty of excellent players to be had according to just about everyone...I don't think a top line forward or a top pairing dman is much of a steal in the 2nd round of this draft...

Hopefully we got a steal in Speers?

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
B+

We get the potential impact forward we've all been craving. We got one of the best players in his position in the 2nd round. We took two solid players in the later rounds who can't really be projected at this point, but could be something of note. The 6th rounder is the wildcard, but I find no fault in the pick at this point bust or boom, its a 6th round pick.

The kicker to the day was Palmieri. A local kid who is at an age where he can be even better. He's going to get an opportunity here that he didn't have in Anaheim. He's tasted some success and has playoff experience that will be vital to have when we make it back there, as its likely not many on the team will have that experience by the time we do. Palmieri is the type of guy who can quickly become a fan favorite and be a Devil for a long time.

Adding another pick in 2016 was a nice capstone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad