Post-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft: The Boston Ruins Edition

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
[NHL]832424[/NHL]

Behind the scenes video from Columbus. Couple of proposals in the video:

Toronto offered #4 to Columbus for #8, #34, #38, and #58.
New Jersey offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, #129.
Philadelphia ("Ron") may have offered them #7 for #8 and a 3rd.

(to Hextall) "I have to go to talk to Ray too 'cuz I can't hear the frickin' phone." -- Kekalainen

There's a part at the 4:30 mark of the video, which I'm not exactly sure if he's talking about the Devils or the Flyers.

"He was asking me who we were going to take and if he has a chance to move back two spots if given a third. But I said we'll take our chances since we have two guys we like. I asked him if he's taking a D or forward but he wouldn't tell me."

That makes things so interesting.

So Shero tried to pick up another pick and still move back and take Zacha. At first, he tried to use Hanifin to get the second round and fourth round picks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Would have loved to have known what Columbus' counteroffer was (they had #8, #34, #38, #58, #68, and #69 in particular). Columbus seemingly preferred Werenski to Provorov, so they may have been content to stay at #8. A couple times in the video, Jarmo says they have a "77% chance" of getting Werenski which seemed oddly specific.

My armchair GM ego was boosted a bit to see that Shero was considering trading down for the right price.

If Columbus only had mild interest in moving up, maybe they only offered up a third which I could understand Shero turning down.

But hypothetically:

6. Columbus - D Zach Werenski
7. Philadelphia - D Ivan Provorov
8. New Jersey

Although there were rumblings that Philly liked Zacha as well. Also interesting that Carolina said they wouldn't trade down beforehand and that Columbus didn't seem like they'd at least give them another phone call.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Would have loved to have known what Columbus' counteroffer was (they had #8, #34, #38, #58, #68, and #69 in particular). Columbus seemingly preferred Werenski to Provorov, so they may have been content to stay at #8. A couple times in the video, Jarmo says they have a "77% chance" of getting Werenski which seemed oddly specific.

My armchair GM ego was boosted a bit to see that Shero was considering trading down for the right price.

If Columbus only had mild interest in moving up, maybe they only offered up a third which I could understand Shero turning down.

But hypothetically:

6. Columbus - D Zach Werenski
7. Philadelphia - D Ivan Provorov
8. New Jersey

Although there were rumblings that Philly liked Zacha as well. Also interesting that Carolina said they wouldn't trade down beforehand and that Columbus didn't seem like they'd at least give them another phone call.

I was wondering when they were talking about "their guy" if it was Hanafin but it sounds like they had their eye on Werenski all along. Obviously they knew once Carolina turned them down that they had no chance.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was wondering when they were talking about "their guy" if it was Hanafin but it sounds like they had their eye on Werenski all along. Obviously they knew once Carolina turned them down that they had no chance.

Sounded like they would have paid a slight premium for Hanifin, but were more than content with Werenski. It's interesting to me that they weren't interested in Provorov. I'm curious about how much of that comes down to familiarity.

Columbus' head scout Ville Siren and director of amateur scouting Paul Castron (the guys sitting to Jarmo's left) are both based in Ann Arbor. Hanifin and Werenski played in Ann Arbor for the US U-17 team in 2013-14; Werenski went onto play for the Wolverines last year.

It also makes me wonder whether teams would bother trying to listen in on nearby tables. Jarmo audibly mentions Werenski by name a few times in the video. You'd think a team might be a little more careful in case somebody else heard and arranged a trade up. Albeit Jarmo did note that he had a tough time hearing on the phone and the PA guy was blasting music in between picks to deal with the down time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad