Post-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft: The Boston Ruins Edition

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Everyone at the Bruins table must've been thinking that this will be the draft that gets them sacked in a few years time. Yikes what a train wreck this draft was for them.

Before the draft started, I was chatting with another fan and we were talking about the Hamilton trade. I exclaimed "I have no idea what they're doing" and former Boston GM Peter Chiarelli happened to be walking right by us. He probably didn't hear us, but still funny that it was plausibly audible to him.

We'll see how it turns out for Boston. Senyshyn was a guy I was liking for the Devils at #36/41.

Maybe because you'd rather become a Rags fan than carry a Penguins Jersey perhaps? :sarcasm:

(did you tell them this? lol )

I did have my Devils jacket on, so I think they figured that's why I was a Guerin fan. But I did have to explain that I was actually trying to chase down Guerin at the Awards show in Vegas. I wanted to make a joke about how I would have thought the Penguins would have chartered a private plane for their staff rather than make them fly Southwest.

Another part of the story was that the first Sharpie I gave Guerin didn't work, so I went back to my seat to get another one. When I walked back up front, Guerin was holding out the jersey almost like he was admiring it.

At baggage claim, he told me that all of his Salt Lake jerseys had been stolen. Then I remembered on the plane, he had asked me when I got the jersey. I told him I had it customized last summer (shout out to Dorholt for that), but now I think he was wondering if I might have been the guy who had stolen his.

It's too bad, I should have shown them this video in case they ever need to shame Guerin in the future.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Just remembered that Philly got both provorov and konecny.

Well, they did move assets at the deadline (Coburn to get Tampa's 1st and Timonen to Chi for a 2nd I think) so they had 2 1st rounders and 10 picks overall. They had the ammunition to move up from 29 to 23 to pick him. We simply didn't have those assets and only had 6 total picks to start with....

I think Shero wasn't going to do anything rash and make a deal of one of our young dmen for a pick and no one was giving up a pick for one of our older scrubs....

I think Philly did a good job..Provorov fell into their laps and they were aggressive to move up to get Konecny. With those two great picks they then went on and picked 3 goalies.....image the meltdown on this board if NJ were to pick 3 goalies....:sarcasm:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Well, they did move assets at the deadline (Coburn to get Tampa's 1st and Timonen to Chi for a 2nd I think) so they had 2 1st rounders and 10 picks overall. They had the ammunition to move up from 29 to 23 to pick him. We simply didn't have those assets and only had 6 total picks to start with....

I think Shero wasn't going to do anything rash and make a deal of one of our young dmen for a pick and no one was giving up a pick for one of our older scrubs....

I think Philly did a good job..Provorov fell into their laps and they were aggressive to move up to get Konecny. With those two great picks they then went on and picked 3 goalies.....image the meltdown on this board if NJ were to pick 3 goalies....:sarcasm:

Provorov was the BPA when we drafted, but, we had to take a forward.

I think Konecny is this draft's Giroux and he will end up being one of the best players picked in the first round in a few seasons.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
If the devils stepped up and took provorov at 6, how would everyone have felt about that?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If the devils stepped up and took provorov at 6, how would everyone have felt about that?

I would have been okay with it, but I'm sure others would have been upset. If we had gone Provorov, I wonder if we would have stayed at #36 and taken a forward instead of trading down to get Blackwood at #42.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would have been okay with it, but I'm sure others would have been upset. If we had gone Provorov, I wonder if we would have stayed at #36 and taken a forward instead of trading down to get Blackwood at #42.

Taking a goalie would actually have been irresponsible if we didn't address forward with Zacha at 6 and had Speers as our highest rated forward prospect out of this draft.

GhostofKenKlee

I'm starting to think Tom Fitzgerald takes over in Pittsburgh or Billy Guerin is here as Sheros number two.

GhostofKenKlee

Guerin dropped 500K to build a rink at his home in Pennsylvania, so I'm not sure how likely he'd be to move: http://nesn.com/2014/02/bill-guerin-builds-backyard-rink-reportedly-costing-500000-photos/

He use to live by my local CC and had dreams of settling in S.Jersey (His wife is from there) but alas it all changed. he has had nice digs in the past, whether it was LI, St. Louis or SJ and now Pittsburgh.

He made some smart moves post playing days and if the right opportunity presented itself I'm sure he would go. Perhaps he gets the gig post Rutherford.

GhostofKenKlee

With the pending sale of the Penguins, the whole game changes.

We may see more Penguins brass in Jersey sooner than later...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
IMG_1023.JPG

This is Shero and Jarmo Kekalainen discussing a possible trade at #6. They talked for about a minute before Shero decided to keep it.

[NHL]832424[/NHL]

Behind the scenes video from Columbus. Couple of proposals in the video:

Toronto offered #4 to Columbus for #8, #34, #38, and #58.
New Jersey offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, #129.
Philadelphia ("Ron") may have offered them #7 for #8 and a 3rd.

(to Hextall) "I have to go to talk to Ray too 'cuz I can't hear the frickin' phone." -- Kekalainen

There's a part at the 4:30 mark of the video, which I'm not exactly sure if he's talking about the Devils or the Flyers.

"He was asking me who we were going to take and if he has a chance to move back two spots if given a third. But I said we'll take our chances since we have two guys we like. I asked him if he's taking a D or forward but he wouldn't tell me."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad