2015 NHL Draft Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I agree. At 19 I'm not sure hes quite worth that pick. If the wings moved back to the tail end of the first, take him and I would be very happy with the pick

I won't cry if we take him at 19 but agree that he looks all the more attractive in a trade down situation. I think he is going to become a very good NHL player who plays a ton of minutes.

At this point I would love to talk Buffalo into trading us 21 and 51 for 19. I am not sure they will bite, but think that is the best possible trade-down scenario.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
trade 19th for 2 of CBJs 2nds

edit-1st+3rd for 34 + 38? CBJ also has 58

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I remember 100% expecting Larkin, if available, based on the articles before the draft. It was no surprise. The big question was if the kid had any offense in him, thus was he deserving of the selection.

As others said the media was profiling him the days going into the draft, talking up his character and Michigan roots.

I don't doubt for a second that you subjectively expected the Wings to draft Larkin. I just don't remember (and cannot find now) all of these media reports pumping up Dylan as a target of the Wings. As a pre-draft supporter of Larkin I was well aware of the banter around here prior to draft day and the questions about his offensive upside.

It obviously doesn't matter now. We took him and that was that. I agree that there appears to be a lack of consensus about who they will take this year. If you believe the Detroit media, perhaps Ek is their guy? I don't know why, however, the Wings would reveal this to the local press prior to the draft.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There's almost always guys who fall. At least a couple. There's a top 7 or so in every draft and after that, teams are rarely in the same ballpark. You could put the next 13 in hat and pick them out. Teams so ridiculously get caught here drafting for need. It's just to hard to determine what's going to happen with a 17-18 year old. That's why we have Corey Perry's and Getzlaf's falling... There's going to be guys available at 19 that most would've thought to have been gone at 13, and they still might trade down.

I say if a Konecny or Connor fall, they'd be the pick. If not, it has to be a D. Unless they're in love with a guy like Guryanov or the kid from Cape Breton. Kylington is their type player, so you'd think he'd be the pick. If he falls and they think he will, they'll trade down at that point.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Corey Pronman's final mock draft has the Wings taking left winger, Yevgeni Svechnikov.

"As there are with most cases this late in the first round, there are a number of players I can see going here. Svechnikov, Oliver Kylington or Merkley, if he falls to 19, are potential options. It's hard for me to see Svechnikov getting further than 20." - Corey Pronman

Would like the pick, but have a hard time seeing it.

We keep seeing Svechnikov as the conclusory pick for the wings at #19, but I just don't see it either. He's a winger, he's Russian...IMO, the only way the Wings take Svechnikov is if they have him ranked as one of the top 10-12 players they alluded to - a clear "faller." If he's available, you take him because he's the clear BPA on your board - and clear-cut BPA players are a rarity IMO - but if he isn't the BPA as far as the Wings are concerned, that makes the situation all the more ripe for trading down. By the way the experts are talking, someone, if not multiple teams, covet Svechnikov.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
**** it, trade back for 3 2nd rounders! Snag Kylington, Larsson, and Juulsen!

I was actually thinking this earlier today. Not sure how feasible it is or how often it happens (although I feel like its happened at the draft at least once since I started watching the draft), but I think its possible if you get a team that loves a guy who lands where we're picking. Just two years ago, we dropped two spots and picked up 38th overall for that short move. Clearly, San Jose really wanted that 18th overall (and Mirco Mueller).

These are past scenarios, in lesser drafts:

24 for 35 and 48. (drop 9 spots, pick up a 2nd)
29 for 32 and 75 (drop 3 spots, pick up a 3rd)
29 (and 152) for 41 and 47.

Maybe 19 for 21 and 51, then 21 for 25 and 47? Draft 25th, 47th and 51st?

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I say if a Konecny or Connor fall, they'd be the pick. If not, it has to be a D. Unless they're in love with a guy like Guryanov or the kid from Cape Breton. Kylington is their type player, so you'd think he'd be the pick. If he falls and they think he will, they'll trade down at that point.

Agreed. Unless one of those two falls, I'd trade back and gamble with an extra pick. Heck, they'd probably be able to trade back twice without much difference. Or maybe just maybe Holland finally shocks us all and trades up for Werenski.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's officially draft day! Super excited. Can't wait to see everything go down. I'm hoping for a trade up and Werenski or trade down and get Kylington+ a 2nd. We'll wait abd see though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm going to bet that we trade back, unless Svechnikov is available or someone who was rated in the top 15 drops.

I just don't see Svechnikov. How many Russians have we drafted in the last ten years? How many have we taken in early rounds? Good player though.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Ek or Kylington would be fine with me. I'd like to trade down and try to get both Kylington and Harkins though.

But what I really want is to trade up and draft Werenski.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I just don't see Svechnikov. How many Russians have we drafted in the last ten years? How many have we taken in early rounds? Good player though.

He has top 10 talent. He's one of those guys we talk about next year and saying he would be top 10 in a redraft like Mantha and Larkin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trading back, I would like any of these guys:

Meloche
Juulsen
Dunn
Larsson
Pilon

Chlapik
Dergachev
Beavullier
Roslovic
Forsbacka-Karlsson

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He has top 10 talent. He's one of those guys we talk about next year and saying he would be top 10 in a redraft like Mantha and Larkin.

Yeah, I could agree with that. Kind of felt that way about Scherbak too, and then he fell all the way to 26. It's really hard to guess with Russian players, but I would be admittedly shocked if we took one in the first or second round.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I don't really disagree with that. For better or worse, however, the Wings haven't shown much interest in drafting Russians in recent years.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
There goes our trade for Buffalo's 21st and 51st picks. Ottawa now has #18, #21, #42 and #48 but it sounds like they're looking to trade up in the 1st.

Will be interesting to see what kind of D's they go after (assuming somewhat of a focus on D). Four D's picked in the last three drafts: McKee, De Haas, McNulty and Wheaton. Only one has done a decent job, two were not even signed and the last one hasn't shown much of anything. I'm guessing they're done with the physical guys for now and will focus more on skill.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There goes our trade for Buffalo's 21st and 51st picks. Ottawa now has #18, #21, #42 and #48 but it sounds like they're looking to trade up in the 1st.

Will be interesting to see what kind of D's they go after (assuming somewhat of a focus on D). Four D's picked in the last three drafts: McKee, De Haas, McNulty and Wheaton. Only one has done a decent job, two were not even signed and the last one hasn't shown much of anything. I'm guessing they're done with the physical guys for now and will focus more on skill.

I think McNulty had some decent skill (shot?), and De Haas has some decent skill too? I mean at least for late round guys?

Wheaton and Mckee, definitely really lacking there.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Am I the only one who feels a little underwhelmed by this draft? At least the players outside of the top 10 anyways, and even a couple of those I really don't see much in.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I think McNulty had some decent skill (shot?), and De Haas has some decent skill too? I mean at least for late round guys?

Wheaton and Mckee, definitely really lacking there.
Yeah they have skill and I'm actually surprised McNulty wasn't signed. What's funny is that McKee and Wheaton were actually drafted before McNulty & De Haas in both their respective drafts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The Wings rarely discuss "needs" at the draft table because it's as difficult to project needs four or five years down the line as it is to project what kind of player a teenager will be when he's in his early 20s.

"Always, it's the best player available," Holland said when asked his draft philosophy. "We're looking at 18-year-old players and trying to determine which of them, five years from now when they're 23, will have the most impact."

http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/st...-062615?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad