2015 NHL Draft Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A swede in the first round? 15 years ago since last time(?)

HÃ¥kans input is in the latter rounds

But there hasn't been this many good Swedes available around the time we pick in the first in quite a long time.

And the man has been respobsible for half our top 4 defenseman, and our last really good one. So I'm thinking there's a chance we go with one this year.

Like I said, just a feeling.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Hard to quote on my phone, but he states they think the draft is 10-12 players deep and after that "there's a group of guys that could go into the 2nd round and be successful players."

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't trade down then. Sounds like they think the next 20 players are comparable. Might as well grab an extra one.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hard to quote on my phone, but he states they think the draft is 10-12 players deep and after that "there's a group of guys that could go into the 2nd round and be successful players."

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't trade down then. Sounds like they think the next 20 players are comparable. Might as well grab an extra one.

Yeah if true, that makes a ton of sense. I do see a ton of scenarios where you could get 2 nice players.

I kind of got the vibe from that article that Wright was just saying anything is a possibility, and not giving away anything. But we will see tomorrow!

That just shows how not obvious the selection is this year. I dont think theyll take a swede first round at all

Why not? There are some great options there. Including a guy who was considered a top 10 pick for a long time, and a big RH defenseman playing on our best scout's organization.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Well, last year it seemed fairly obvious the Wings would take Larkin leading up to draft day. Who is the obvious choice this year, if still on the board?

Huh? What made him so obvious? I get that he is a center and is from the area, but beyond that I don't know what would have tipped Detroit's hand.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

McKenzie also said that 20-55 are all pretty comparable.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Huh? What made him so obvious? I get that he is a center and is from the area, but beyond that I don't know what would have tipped Detroit's hand.

The media. You don't remember how much talk there was that the Wings were high on Larkin? You could probably find a few pre-draft articles on it if you care to look.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site

I guess it just depends on who the Red Wings think those 10-12 guys are. They might be higher on a couple guys that other teams/scouts aren't, and they could get one of them at #19. I remember them trading up to get Turgeon last season in the 3rd because they said they had him pegged as a 1st round guy, and many thought they reached to get Bertuzzi when the took him in the 2nd two years ago.

But if they can trade back and get a couple extra picks, and a couple players they like, that would be fine too. They took that gamble when they moved back a couple spots to pick up an extra pick and still got Mantha, who they seemed to want in their original position anyway.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The media. You don't remember how much talk there was that the Wings were high on Larkin? You could probably find a few pre-draft articles on it if you care to look.

Nah, I will let you substantiate your own comments. I remember a ton of post-draft ink about the kid, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of pre-draft coverage from reliable sources.

I have no idea who the Wings will take this year. I can see the case for a couple of different guys.

Brandel*

Nah, I will let you substantiate your own comments. I remember a ton of post-draft ink about the kid, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of pre-draft coverage from reliable sources.

I have no idea who the Wings will take this year. I can see the case for a couple of different guys.

During the draft HSJ and others were basically tweeting that the Wings were very high on Larkin and stuff which made it rather obvious. Pre-draft there was nothing that outright stated we'd take Larkin or anything like that but he was always a top consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I think Larkin was definitely expected last year. If I remember correctly there were two camps the Fabbri camp and Larkin. We knew it would almost certainly be a center, and the management never said anything to indicate Larkin, but I'd say 70% of mocks had us taking Larkin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, plus it just seemed like a pretty natural connection. They absolutely love talking about homegrown guys like Abby and Dekeyser.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Corey Pronman's final mock draft has the Wings taking left winger, Yevgeni Svechnikov.

"As there are with most cases this late in the first round, there are a number of players I can see going here. Svechnikov, Oliver Kylington or Merkley, if he falls to 19, are potential options. It's hard for me to see Svechnikov getting further than 20." - Corey Pronman

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, plus it just seemed like a pretty natural connection. They absolutely love talking about homegrown guys like Abby and Dekeyser.

I remember 100% expecting Larkin, if available, based on the articles before the draft. It was no surprise. The big question was if the kid had any offense in him, thus was he deserving of the selection.

As others said the media was profiling him the days going into the draft, talking up his character and Michigan roots.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Corey Pronman's final mock draft has the Wings taking left winger, Yevgeni Svechnikov.

"As there are with most cases this late in the first round, there are a number of players I can see going here. Svechnikov, Oliver Kylington or Merkley, if he falls to 19, are potential options. It's hard for me to see Svechnikov getting further than 20." - Corey Pronman

Would like the pick, but have a hard time seeing it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He sounds like one of those guys that would be awesome to have if we traded back and grabbed an extra pick.

I agree. At 19 I'm not sure hes quite worth that pick. If the wings moved back to the tail end of the first, take him and I would be very happy with the pick

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
One thing is for sure, if they are going up on stage on friday using that 19th overall there must be a player they REALLY like and are very high on, if not, they WILL trade down... but if they do trade down I hope it's only a few spots and that the extra pick they get in return is no worse than mid 2nd, round, 40-50 ish.

If they do make that 19th overall pick they will have to wait all the way to 73, lots of good players will be gone, there will be tons of goodies in the 2nd round..

Still mad about that 2nd round pick to Dallas for Cole.... gah

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad