2015 NHL Draft Thread III (6/26-7PM, 6/27-10AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckNerd

Mar 25, 2010
Ohio
There is probably only one goalie (Samsonov) I would draft in the first 3 rounds this year if I were Columbus.
samsonite-i-was-way-off-o.gif

Seriously though, I wouldn't pass on him at 34. However depending on how the cards fall for #8 might need to grab another D if they think there is better potential there and then maybe hope he would fall even further to 38.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Yeah, I would probably take him if he was still there with one of our seconds.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Some little tidbits from a Hockey Writers writer.

Mark ‏@THWMark 55m55 minutes ago

Crouse confirmed he spoke to #CBJ this week.

Mark ‏@THWMark 1h1 hour ago

Mackenzie Blackwood did confirm to me he spoke to #CBJ this week.

Mark ‏@THWMark 3h3 hours ago

Provorov and Werenski both spoke to #CBJ this week.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So im having a little debate with someone in the mock draft+season im in about Provorov stepping up and playing in the NHL next year. In my mock I moved up from 8 to 6th (8+38 for 6th) mainly to guarantee I woud get Provorov and to have a better chance to move up to 4 if Hanifin fell (he didnt).

Anyway after the pick i posted my update lines which looked like

Murray-Ellis (traded for Wennberg)
Provorov-Savard
Tyutin-Goloubef
(JJ traded for Oshie)

So do you guys agree that Provorov could play on the Jackets next season. My reasoning is this, Provorov is arguably just as good (and according to some people better than) Hanifin. Hanifin is supposedly a whole tier better than Ekblad. If Provorov is just as good(and a more complete player) as Hanifin doesnt that make him NHL and possibly top 4 (sheltered top 4, but top 4) ready?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So im having a little debate with someone in the mock draft+season im in about Provorov stepping up and playing in the NHL next year. In my mock I moved up from 8 to 6th (8+38 for 6th) mainly to guarantee I woud get Provorov and to have a better chance to move up to 4 if Hanifin fell (he didnt).

Provorov-Savard
Tyutin-Goloubef
(JJ traded for Oshie)

So do you guys agree that Provorov could play on the Jackets next season. My reasoning is this, Provorov is arguably just as good (and according to some people better than) Hanifin. Hanifin is supposedly a whole tier better than Ekblad. If Provorov is just as good(and a more complete player) as Hanifin doesnt that make him NHL and possibly top 4 (sheltered top 4, but top 4) ready?

I am probably in the minority but I'm not big on moving Wennberg for Ellis. I'd like Ellis but not at the cost of Wennberg. I'm also a big JJ fan and think if his minutes are reduced to a small degree... I don't see him like many others. He isn't perfect but he's easily a top 4 guy on a very good contract and his play in the playoffs makes me thinks we would regret moving him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I am probably in the minority but I'm not big on moving Wennberg for Ellis. I'd like Ellis but not at the cost of Wennberg. I'm also a big JJ fan and think if his minutes are reduced to a small degree... I don't see him like many others. He isn't perfect but he's easily a top 4 guy on a very good contract and his play in the playoffs makes me thinks we would regret moving him.

100% agreed

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
To me our center depth makes it worth it to move out Wennberg. Dont get me wrong i love me some Wennberg, but successful teams are built from the net out and we really need some help solidfying the blue line. And Ellis allowed for that.

And while IRL it probably woudnt be wise to ship out JJ before Provorov plays a game, I think he, in time between himself and Murray could eat whatever minutes JJ would. Also adding Oshie adds a strong two way, 50+pt RW, who is for his career +17, which is the polar opposite of JJ.

But I didnt post so much as to discuss the moves as i did to get everyones input on the question about Provorov.

If we draft Provorov, do you think he plays in the NHL next season? And if so, does he have the ability to play in a top 4 role?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
To AZ: 8th+34+Anisimov
To CBJ: 3rd OA

I think Anisimov should be moved over the offseason (not because he isn't good or doesn't fit in with our team - he very much does), this just allows for more roster flexibility in our group of forwards in the future, and would allow us to bring back Letestu. Jackets can then package Rychel for a roster defensemen and they will be set.

Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Letestu-Clarkson
Bourque/Boll

Murray-Hanifin
Johnson-Savard
Tyutin-xxx (Rychel Trade)

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Provorov-Savard
Tyutin-Goloubef
(JJ traded for Oshie)

Interesting moves. I like the look of that defense - it has a considerable amount of upside to it that our current group doesn't have. Some of those guys could turn into great defensemen, which you need to be a great team (see McDonagh, Keith, Hedman, etc...)

Two points: 1) I don't think we have that much need for Oshie, so I'd rather see if we can find a taker for Tyutin, and keep JJ for a more limited role. 2) Who plays the tough matchups of that d-group? Provo-Savard or Murray-Ellis? Perhaps Murray-Savard could do that and Provo-Ellis could be the offensive oriented pair. Perhaps we need to look at getting a Girardi type back there.

Those projections are intransitive.:laugh: The scouts who think Provorov >> Hanifin are not the same ones who think Hanifin >> Ekblad. But to answer your question, yes, Provorov is NHL ready, though he might have to be sheltered a bit, just like any young D-man (including Ekblad and Murray).

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Some little tidbits from a Hockey Writers writer.

Mark ‏@THWMark 55m55 minutes ago

Crouse confirmed he spoke to #CBJ this week.

Mark ‏@THWMark 1h1 hour ago

Mackenzie Blackwood did confirm to me he spoke to #CBJ this week.

Mark ‏@THWMark 3h3 hours ago

Provorov and Werenski both spoke to #CBJ this week.

Cruise sounds pretty awesome for the cbj. Assuming we can sign reily and trade rychel plus plus for a top defenseman.

The intrigue continues...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Interesting moves. I like the look of that defense - it has a considerable amount of upside to it that our current group doesn't have. Some of those guys could turn into great defensemen, which you need to be a great team (see McDonagh, Keith, Hedman, etc...)

Two points: 1) I don't think we have that much need for Oshie, so I'd rather see if we can find a taker for Tyutin, and keep JJ for a more limited role. 2) Who plays the tough matchups of that d-group? Provo-Savard or Murray-Ellis? Perhaps Murray-Savard could do that and Provo-Ellis could be the offensive oriented pair. Perhaps we need to look at getting a Girardi type back there.

Those projections are intransitive.:laugh: The scouts who think Provorov >> Hanifin are not the same ones who think Hanifin >> Ekblad.
But to answer your question, yes, Provorov is NHL ready, though he might have to be sheltered a bit, just like any young D-man (including Ekblad and Murray).
Thats true, i didn't think about it like that

Seriously though im already tired of all of the debating about whose gonna be better than who. I just want it to be June 26th damnit!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I think Anisimov should be moved over the offseason (not because he isn't good or doesn't fit in with our team - he very much does), this just allows for more roster flexibility in our group of forwards in the future, and would allow us to bring back Letestu. Jackets can then package Rychel for a roster defensemen and they will be set.

Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Letestu-Clarkson
Bourque/Boll

Murray-Hanifin
Johnson-Savard

I would in a heartbeat, however ARZ would never.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If we draft Provorov, do you think he plays in the NHL next season? And if so, does he have the ability to play in a top 4 role?

I think of the hope/expectation is for Provorov to play in the top 4 our defense will not take a step forward. I think it is very rare, very rare, for an 18yo to play in a top 4 role. I think bottom pair would be good and an ideal situation, if not juniors.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Letestu-Clarkson
Bourque/Boll

Murray-Hanifin
Johnson-Savard

The bolded just seems like too much to me. If the gap between the top 3 D isn't really that large, why move two assets when a player like Anisimov could probably net you a low end 1st or picks next year if he isn't going to be signed (and I don't see how he would be signed). This draft is deep and the top end is high end talent. I'd consider a move down depending on the deal but the 8th will be tough to move from. I also think the two high 2nds are going to be very valuable pieces with the depth of this draft.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

I agree with you. I wouldn't make that trade. I also wouldn't play Provorov in the NHL next year.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Cruise sounds pretty awesome for the cbj. Assuming we can sign reily and trade rychel plus plus for a top defenseman.

How does the intrigue continue? We are probably going to interview pretty much every player expected to go in the first round (and then some).

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Assuming you meant Crouse, he does seem like a very CBJ pick to me. Plus, it would be fun to see the fanbase flip out if he was picked. :popcorn:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Assuming you meant Crouse, he does seem like a very CBJ pick to me. Plus, it would be fun to see the fanbase flip out if he was picked. :popcorn:

Well, I'm sure if he was picked, the reaction would be very lemming like-as most jump off a cliff. :laugh:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Letestu-Clarkson
Bourque/Boll

Murray-Hanifin
Johnson-Savard

Arizona wouldnt consider that. they want to get young so picks and prospects. They are already thinking Matthews so it would be Rychel not Anisimov

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Welp i didnt read through all the posts to see if its here but Werenski is kind of considering going to London next year. There are tweets on the prospects page but i dont know how to embed them. That would calm some peoples nerves if he were selected

EDIT:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Thats pretty big news. If Philly picks Provorov, I really think they'll take Werenski. Jarmo already convinced Milano to go to the OHL after he was already committed to BC

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ia this guy at all credible?

http://www.draftutopia.com/2015nhlmockdraft.html

The Blue Jackets have Noah Hanifin at 1, Jack Eichel at 2, Dylan Strome at 3, Mikko Rantanen at 4, and Lawson Crouse at 5 on their draft board.

UGH! I can see having Hanifin highly rated (but not over McDavid or Eichel) and Crouse at 5 is confusing to me. A big guy who may or not be able to score at the NHL level. Just what we need. At least he has Rantanen ahead of Crouse. Hopefully this guy is full of baloney. I tried to find a 2014 mock from him but couldn't.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Ia this guy at all credible?

http://www.draftutopia.com/2015nhlmockdraft.html

The Blue Jackets have Noah Hanifin at 1, Jack Eichel at 2, Dylan Strome at 3, Mikko Rantanen at 4, and Lawson Crouse at 5 on their draft board.

UGH! I can see having Hanifin highly rated (but not over McDavid or Eichel) and Crouse at 5 is confusing to me. A big guy who may or not be able to score at the NHL level. Just what we need. At least he has Rantanen ahead of Crouse. Hopefully this guy is full of baloney. I tried to find a 2014 mock from him but couldn't.
I would hope that draft board isn't true, if only for the fact that it's lacking McDavid and has Hanifin above Eichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad