2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Interesting. Matthew Spencer is the 1st on the VO2 Max test.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I didn't realize that Auston Matthews missed the cutoff for the 2015 draft by 2 days. It would have been really fun if he was in this draft as well.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Did DW and Burke said anything after the combine ?

Nothing on Sharks' site.

Usually the scouts meet (in SJ or Toronto or TBD) the week after the combine and finalize their draft list.

A week or so before the draft, DW sometimes makes a statement/answers reporters questions that may give some idea of the direction the team is going. (Might indicate "for sure" that Niemi won't be returning to team, for instance.)

Usually there's nothing until the end of each day of the draft with comments from DW and/or Burke on what they liked about each draftee.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Some player interviews

Merkley
[NHL]828008[/NHL]

Zacha
[NHL]827976[/NHL]

Werenski
[NHL]828006[/NHL]

Provorov
[NHL]828003[/NHL]

Konecny
[NHL]828009[/NHL]

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have not listened to all of the interviews yet but these kids are pretty well spoken. It is easy to forget that they are only 17 or 18 years old.

Top of my list right now is Werenski/Zacha. Provorov would be a steal at 9. No way he makes it that far.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Philly is out of the Barzal chase.

I think they are going with Provorov.

(Wildcard Pick : Crouse / Rantanen)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The Oilers coverage of the combine was kind of nuts. They interviewed a ton of guys individually. Here are a few interviews.

Kylington
[NHL]827957[/NHL]

Barzal
[NHL]827954[/NHL]

Colin White
[NHL]827949[/NHL]

Brandon Carlo
[NHL]827950[/NHL]

If you have a ton of free time there are many more that can be seen here: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I have not listened to all of the interviews yet but these kids are pretty well spoken. It is easy to forget that they are only 17 or 18 years old.

Top of my list right now is Werenski/Zacha. Provorov would be a steal at 9. No way he makes it that far.

This is where I'm at as well.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Yeah, after watching his interviews and reading what people are saying about his answers in the team interviews, there's no way that Provorov makes it to the Sharks. Zacha or Werenski work for me as well. I know this has been said a thousand times, but it would be nice if Doug could pick up another early pick.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

"Our staff, led by [director of scouting] Tim Burke told us this would be a strong draft and that's why we acquired all the picks we did the last few years," Wilson said. "We see it as a very good draft. It was forecast as a good draft and it's playing out that way."

9th, 39th..............106th, 130th, 142nd, 160th, 190th, 202nd.

Last edited:

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
It seems to me that Barzal would slide to the Sharks.

I also like Konecny and Zacha.

I don't think the Sharks can lose in all this. If Barzal slips, I would be happy to add him. I read there's talk of Provorov rising up the table which may cement that.

Either way we're getting a quality player in that top 9 slot. I agree with the sentiment that drafting Werenski might be the smartest move for our future (No.1 Dmen very hard to find) but also agree that you take the BPA. If that's Barzal or Zacha then you do it. I wonder if Rantanen may drop...

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
I don't think the Sharks can lose in all this. If Barzal slips, I would be happy to add him. I read there's talk of Provorov rising up the table which may cement that.

Either way we're getting a quality player in that top 9 slot. I agree with the sentiment that drafting Werenski might be the smartest move for our future (No.1 Dmen very hard to find) but also agree that you take the BPA. If that's Barzal or Zacha then you do it. I wonder if Rantanen may drop...
According to some Philly journalists, Flyers are supposedly high on Zacha,Crouse and Provorov.

If Philly take Provorov, it's almost certain that Columbus will take Werenski.

Last edited:

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
1. McDavid
2.Eichel
3-5.Hanifin / Marner/Strome
6.Barzal
7.Provorov
8.Werenski

"Worst" (Not exactly) case scenario : We get Zacha / Rantanen / Crouse at 9. (If DW don't do something special)

If 1 of the top 5 falls,

1.McDavid
2.Eichel
3.Marner
4.Hanifin
5.Provorov
6.Strome
7.Zacha / Crouse
8.Werenski
9. Barzal (Not bad at all)

Besides the usual options, there is a chance that DW may also reach for Konecny(Great combine) /Merkley (WHL Playoffs and Mem Cup performances) or Eriksson Ek(3rd in VO2 max and test duration) .

That being said, I will not be surprise if DW decide to acquire another 1st. (Especially after what he said about this draft.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad