2015 NHL Draft Cont. (UPD: Sharks stay @ 9th, Edmonton wins the lottery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There are more than a few scouts who don't see Hanifin as top 5 pick, or even the top d-man in the draft, it's not just Button. I don't think his offensive upside is on par with some of the other d-men in the draft but he does project to be a possibly high end two way d-man. There are also a couple of other prospects in the draft that could project that well too though Hanifin is definitely the safest pick.

Also, you know I hate comparisons but aside from shot suppression Pietrangelo has been elite (including production) over the past couple of years so I'm not sure why that one would bother you.

It bothers me in that it's a little misleading, not that Pietrangelo isn't elite.

I would buy arguments that Kylington and Werenski have a little better offensive upside than Hanifin, but Hanifin is just so much better defensively than either that I don't see an argument for having either ahead of him.

I assume it's Provorov or Werenski that some scouts have over Hanifin, which is fine, but I just seriously disagree. Both of the first two are excellent prospects whom I would be ecstatic to have, but I haven't seen any good arguments for having them over Hanifin. I've seen people try to justify Provorov over Hanifin because of, and this is hilarious, superior skating, gap control, and hockey IQ. Literally the three things at which Hanifin is unquestionably elite.

Again, Hanifin may not have elite offensive upside, but the things he does do are so projectable to the NHL. He has the ability to dangle and drive the net. He is a great passer and has creativity. What he lacks is the confidence and authority to impose his will aggressively on the ice. That is something I think will come in time. And I'm not saying it's not important, but I think it's not a good reason to have Provorov or Werenski over him.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
It bothers me in that it's a little misleading, not that Pietrangelo isn't elite.

I would buy arguments that Kylington and Werenski have a little better offensive upside than Hanifin, but Hanifin is just so much better defensively than either that I don't see an argument for having either ahead of him.

I assume it's Provorov or Werenski that some scouts have over Hanifin, which is fine, but I just seriously disagree. Both of the first two are excellent prospects whom I would be ecstatic to have, but I haven't seen any good arguments for having them over Hanifin. I've seen people try to justify Provorov over Hanifin because of, and this is hilarious, superior skating, gap control, and hockey IQ. Literally the three things at which Hanifin is unquestionably elite.

Again, Hanifin may not have elite offensive upside, but the things he does do are so projectable to the NHL. He has the ability to dangle and drive the net. He is a great passer and has creativity. What he lacks is the confidence and authority to impose his will aggressively on the ice. That is something I think will come in time. And I'm not saying it's not important, but I think it's not a good reason to have Provorov or Werenski over him.

Most comparisons are misleading.

I've watched plenty of Hanifin and agree he is the top d-man in this draft but not all scouts value the same things and if someone places a lot of value on offensive upside I can see why Werenski might be the d-man they have first.

Provorov is more or less great at everything but aside from him possibly having a bit more offensive upside than Hanifin I have a hard time with that one too.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm really hoping we get Zacha... I'm drooling over a
Zacha-Hertl-Goldy line!!!

If the Sharks draft Zacha I really hope they give him the time he needs to develop as a center rather than rush him and use him on the wing.

He needs to improve some parts of his game if he's going to play C at the next level but if he "hits" he has high end top line center upside.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Most comparisons are misleading.

I've watched plenty of Hanifin and agree he is the top d-man in this draft but not all scouts value the same things and if someone places a lot of value on offensive upside I can see why Werenski might be the d-man they have first.

Provorov is more or less great at everything but aside from him possibly having a bit more offensive upside than Hanifin I have a hard time with that one too.

Agreed in both cases. I don't know how someone can say Hanifin doesn't have offensive upside and then turn around and say Provorov will score 50+ points in the NHL. I've seen this multiple times. And I've seen people claim that Provorov's skating is better than Hanifin's. IMO the only think Provorov has on Hanifin is physicality and assertiveness.

If the Sharks draft Zacha I really hope they give him the time he needs to develop as a center rather than rush him and use him on the wing.

He needs to improve some parts of his game if he's going to play C at the next level but if he "hits" he has high end top line center upside.

Also agree. I know people see Zacha as a big risk, which is fair, but honestly I think even if he doesn't hit his upside, he could be a useful middle-6 winger.

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose

Which is everything in a alpha dog sport. And its not something you really learn, you either have it or you don't.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Which is everything in a alpha dog sport. And its not something you really learn, you either have it or you don't.

I agree with the aggressiveness thing but not necessarily the confidence thing. Some people are naturally inclined towards aggressive actions, I don't know if Hanifin is or not. The confidence to make more aggressive/riskier plays comes with him learning if he can make those moves worthwhile and with high frequency or if he can fix the mistakes when it isn't worthwhile.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Victor Hedman doesn't "have it". Seems to be doing okay. Also, it wasn't all that long ago that we constantly complained about Vlasic being the softest player in the league, but now he's got helluva meanstreak.

I also disagree that you can't learn it. The difference between Hanifin at BC before the WJC, when the coaches ordered him to play a risk-free game and he was 17 and still adjusting to the NCAA, and after the WJC, when Hanifin was allowed to do his thing and subsequently lead the Eagles in scoring from then on, was night and day. It's all about feeling confident in your abilities. Hanifin can control play when he's on the ice. He can step up his intensity when he needs to. He just needs to get comfortable with the level of play.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I want one of Zacha, Barzal, Werenski, or Provorov. In the second I want Vande Sompel if we draft Zacha/Barzal or dergachev or Bracco if we draft a defender

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Out of the 3 defenseman, which one is the most NHL-ready ?

Can someone rank them ?

Hanifin and Provorov are probably both ready but I think it would be moronic to start them in the NHL. Werenski will need at least two years. This shouldn't have any impact on who you want to draft.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Hanifin and Provorov are probably both ready but I think it would be moronic to start them in the NHL. Werenski will need at least two years. This shouldn't have any impact on who you want to draft.
Personally, I think it is still possible for the Sharks to contend in the 2016/2017 season.
So how NHL-ready they are will affect how the Sharks see 'em.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Personally, I think it is still possible for the Sharks to contend in the 2016/2017 season.
So how NHL-ready they are will affect how the Sharks see 'em.
There is a very low chance either of them step in and immediately become top-pairing defenseman, so it doesn't really matter how NHL-ready they are. It will take a few seasons of learning and developing further until they hit their 'ceiling', and it's not even guaranteed that they will.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There is a very low chance either of them step in and immediately become top-pairing defenseman, so it doesn't really matter how NHL-ready they are. It will take a few seasons of learning and developing further until they hit their 'ceiling', and it's not even guaranteed that they will.

Exactly. Adding a bottom-4 (likely bottom pairing, or even *gasp* healthy scratch) defenseman who's learning on the job will not make or break this team if it wants to compete. If DW is so incompetent that he cannot acquire a "now" bottom pairing defenseman and then decides to fill that hole with an 18 year old, then I quit.

Besides, in all likelihood, Hanifin and Provorov are gone at #9. So I don't think it's even worth thinking about.

Although now that I think about it, I bet DW would draft Crouse and then slot him into our bottom-6 this fall. :facepalm:

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Exactly. Adding a bottom-4 (likely bottom pairing, or even *gasp* healthy scratch) defenseman who's learning on the job will not make or break this team if it wants to compete. If DW is so incompetent that he cannot acquire a "now" bottom pairing defenseman and then decides to fill that hole with an 18 year old, then I quit.

Besides, in all likelihood, Hanifin and Provorov are gone at #9. So I don't think it's even worth thinking about.

Although now that I think about it, I bet DW would draft Crouse and then slot him into our bottom-6 this fall. :facepalm:
I agree Hanifin will be off the board before 9th.

As for Provorov, it's hard to tell. (60-70% off the boards before the 9th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad