2015 NHL Draft Cont. (UPD: Sharks stay @ 9th, Edmonton wins the lottery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
In the past, occasionally, I'd hear hype on a special (avoiding "generational") talent... and this would be outside of paying particular attention at all.

I remember hearing mad hype about Kovalchuck and substantially less about Rick Nash, but still a fair amount. Then there was crazy hype about Ovechkin and at the same time we were already bombarded by hype of the "next one". I also remember Malkin being hyped up as well. Then there is Tavares whom I'd heard hype about since he was 13. Again, all this hype I heard unintentionally.

Surprisingly, I heard very little about McDavid until I started poking around. Going straight off of the amount of hype comparatively, it would seem he's just an average 1st overall pick.

Where would McDavid stand among the utra-hyped of recent passed? (since kovalchuck)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Hard to say until he actually plays in the league.

That said, the league owes sj for screwing them out of Lindros and the subsequent trade that would have occured (he wouldn't have played in sj.) Though I doubt the league remembers or even cares.

Damnit Gund, why couldn't you have taken the NorthStars like the nhl wanted? :(

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hard to say until he actually plays in the league.

That said, the league owes sj for screwing them out of Lindros and the subsequent trade that would have occured (he wouldn't have played in sj.) Though I doubt the league remembers or even cares.

Damnit Gund, why couldn't you have taken the NorthStars like the nhl wanted? :(

I don't remember any evidence that Lindros wouldn't have gone to San Jose.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't remember any evidence that Lindros wouldn't have gone to San Jose.

It was never really an option. Everyone knew the league wasn't going to let an expansion team draft the next Gretzky.

While Lindros never verbally denied he would play for the Sharks, I assume he would have refused. He had a huge ego early on.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Connor McDavid is the next Sidney Crosby. I wouldn't be surprised if in McDavid's draft+2 he was the highest scoring player in the NHL.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
It was never really an option. Everyone knew the league wasn't going to let an expansion team draft the next Gretzky.

While Lindros never verbally denied he would play for the Sharks, I assume he would have refused. He had a huge ego early on.

He has a huge ego now, I can't even imagine how bad it must've been at 19.

As for McDavid, I'd say he's the most hyped prospect since Crosby, but a step below Sid and Lindros. Like Tavares, he was drawing comparisons to Sid as early as age 14 or 15, but the Tavares/Hedman debate was a pretty strong one at the time, whereas McDavid is the surefire #1 pick, and that's in a draft year with Jack Eichel.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It was never really an option with the way that the Sharks came to be but I don't think Lindros had any issues going to San Jose if that came to be...certainly not like he did with Quebec City. The Bay Area market would've been more appealing to him than QC.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It was never really an option with the way that the Sharks came to be but I don't think Lindros had any issues going to San Jose if that came to be...certainly not like he did with Quebec City. The Bay Area market would've been more appealing to him than QC.

It's too bad we never found out. :/

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Wasn't his only problem was he didn't want to go to a french speaking team?

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
The next Crosby, Seriously?

So, just concerning pre-draft thoughts/projections....

McDavid > Ovechkin/Malkin/Kovalchuk/Tavares/Stamkos

If this is the case, I wonder why I heard so much more through regular channels especially about Ovechkin, Tavares and kovalchuk ( and duh crosby) than McDavid.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The next Crosby, Seriously?

So, just concerning pre-draft thoughts/projections....

McDavid > Ovechkin/Malkin/Kovalchuk/Tavares/Stamkos

If this is the case, I wonder why I heard so much more through regular channels especially about Ovechkin, Tavares and kovalchuk ( and duh crosby) than McDavid.

Possibly because Eichel has been thrown into this mix as well in many circles when it comes to hyping prospects. There has been a lot of hype behind McDavid. He is seen as a generational talent. And Eichel is seen as probably one step down from that.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
Possibly because Eichel has been thrown into this mix as well in many circles when it comes to hyping prospects. There has been a lot of hype behind McDavid. He is seen as a generational talent. And Eichel is seen as probably one step down from that.

OK that makes sense, but there is still the parallel of Ovechkin/Malkin to McDavid/Eichel. Why did Malkin not hurt Ovechkins hype as much? Have we been generationalized to death?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
OK that makes sense, but there is still the parallel of Ovechkin/Malkin to McDavid/Eichel. Why did Malkin not hurt Ovechkins hype as much? Have we been generationalized to death?

I've heard it more than any of those since Crosby. I'm a casual national observer, but the hype behind McDavid has broken through to me in the same way Crosby did.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
I've heard it more than any of those since Crosby. I'm a casual national observer, but the hype behind McDavid has broken through to me in the same way Crosby did.

OK, it's that I've been living under a rock then.

Its just so weird to me. I remember ridiculous hype for Kovalchuk... hearing best prospect since Mario and the like, months before the draft. And then I just recently read that McDavid was the next Crosby. Hearing that for the 1st time so late in the game, it struck me as the epitome of hyperbole.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
OK, it's that I've been living under a rock then.

Its just so weird to me. I remember ridiculous hype for Kovalchuk... hearing best prospect since Mario and the like, months before the draft. And then I just recently read that McDavid was the next Crosby. Hearing that for the 1st time so late in the game, it struck me as the epitome of hyperbole.

He's been the next Crosby since right before the yakupov draft.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
The McDavid hype trade has been out of control for years. Dunno what rock you were living under. :laugh:

LOL, I started typing just that, had to step away from my computer for a moment then finished my post to then read yours.

I wish I hadn't realized this at all though. Now I'll be that much more bummed if we don't get lucky.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
LOL, I started typing just that, had to step away from my computer for a moment then finished my post to then read yours.

I wish I hadn't realized this at all though. Now I'll be that much more bummed if we don't get lucky.

No sweat. I think you're better off for not having dealt with the McDavid crap for the past couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00