2015 Draft picks updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
he's ok, I guess.

All I need now is the great Mark Divver to tweet out Tanev agrees to a contract with Boston and the equally great Kirk to tweet out Jimmy Vesey is going to wait till August 15th before deciding and he has ruled out Toronto;)

what a performance by DeBrusk in enemy territory in the playoffs

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
All I need now is the great Mark Divver to tweet out Tanev agrees to a contract with Boston and the equally great Kirk to tweet out Jimmy Vesey is going to wait till August 15th before deciding and he has ruled out Toronto;)

what a performance by DeBrusk in enemy territory in the playoffs

Didn't see the goals, but that pass on the game winner was a thing of beauty. Too bad the interwebs has already decided he's a lost cause, a bust and will never amount to anything...:naughty:

indy

Oct 18, 2015
Didn't see the goals, but that pass on the game winner was a thing of beauty. Too bad the interwebs has already decided he's a lost cause, a bust and will never amount to anything...:naughty:

Its humorous. Everyone was groaning about Senyshyn and then through the year DeBrusk became the reach.

I am still thrilled about all the picks and with the College guys too.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
But people do get why the pro-Connor people like him over Debrusk, right? And Debrusk was a reach. (as an extreme example) If you had a guy as a sneaky 3rd rounder and you decide to pick him in the first, you're not pulling of a coup. You're reaching. You can still like Debrusk and feel he was a reach at #14.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
But people do get why the pro-Connor people like him over Debrusk, right? And Debrusk was a reach. (as an extreme example) If you had a guy as a sneaky 3rd rounder and you decide to pick him in the first, you're not pulling of a coup. You're reaching. You can still like Debrusk and feel he was a reach at #14.

Totally understand what you are saying. My point was that after last years draft, Senyshyn was the "reach" talk and less so DeBrusk. But yeah I get what you mean.

I believe the Bruins had specific targets in mind and the stat year Jake had last year warranted a top 15 pick I think.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You must have a crystal ball then, because the last time I checked none of us have any idea how these players will pan out at the NHL level. There are always, always surprises. For all we know Carlo is the next Suter and Lauzon is the next Klingberg. They probably won't be, but right know - who knows.

Right now I can't see, which is my point, and fear.
Right now I have my hopes Carlo and Lauzon have top3 talent, which I think would be great considering where they were picked, of course they are allowed to end up being better, but right now I'd make a guess/hope for that range.

So I just see it being way, way too risky to expect right now Lauzon to turn into #1D, Lauzon to be the Chara replacement, I'd want something a bit more safer as there's thanks to Chia no time Chara being 39y.

I look at what other teams in the division have and it's scary.

No. I am saying you use scenarios to fit your agenda.

Florida could have easily selected Connor/Barzal but didn't because Crouse fits their type of player better. And you defend that scenario.

Bruins could have selected either and didn't because others fit their type of player/need better and you use it against them.

You can't have it both ways. If you use the argument for one, then it must apply to the other.

There's just no having a legitimate debate with you on any topic.

No,
it's different if you have 3 prospects ranked in the same range, considered to be in the same tier,, same talents, just who you prefer over who's better like watching Laine and Pulju this year and considered to be droppers at 11, over reaching for someone at late 1st to fit your team needs potentially and leaving prospects that were considered to be a lot better on the table, by everyone, considered to be damm great picks at that range and the ones that were lefted on the table have been showing this year why they were ranked so high.

Last edited:

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Nail Yakpov for Edmonton tells me to not get to high or too low on them Bruins picks yet.Lots of games will be played before we find out where Bruins got it right and wrong on them picks.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Right now I can't see, which is my point, and fear.
Right now I have my hopes Carlo and Lauzon have top3 talent, which I think would be great considering where they were picked, of course they are allowed to end up being better, but right now I'd make a guess/hope for that range.

So I just see it being way, way too risky to expect right now Lauzon to turn into #1D, Lauzon to be the Chara replacement, I'd want something a bit more safer as there's thanks to Chia no time Chara being 39y.

I look at what other teams in the division have and it's scary.

No,
it's different if you have 3 prospects ranked in the same range, considered to be in the same tier,, same talents, just who you prefer over who's better like watching Laine and Pulju this year and considered to be droppers at 11, over reaching for someone at late 1st to fit your team needs potentially and leaving prospects that were considered to be a lot better on the table, by everyone, considered to be damm great picks at that range and the ones that were lefted on the table have been showing this year why they were ranked so high.

Leaving grammar aside, there is no such thing as "more safer," which is what a crowd of people is trying to tell you.

When you're talking about 18-year-old kids, with very rare exceptions, there is no such thing as a 100% sure thing. When Pavel Datsyuk was 18, he was a shrimp who played a grand total of 18 games for Spartak Yekaterinburg. Zdeno Chara at 18 played even fewer games for Å HK 37 PieÅ¡ťany, and of course was told by more than one coach that he would never make it in hockey.

It's a crapshoot, and that goes for every team in the NHL, not just the Bruins. Constantly denigrating Boston's draft picks and gazing longingly at other teams' is an exercise in frustration, but if that's what you enjoy doing, knock yourself out, I guess. Just don't expect many people to join you.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Leaving grammar aside, there is no such thing as "more safer," which is what a crowd of people is trying to tell you.

When you're talking about 18-year-old kids, with very rare exceptions, there is no such thing as a 100% sure thing. When Pavel Datsyuk was 18, he was a shrimp who played a grand total of 18 games for Spartak Yekaterinburg. Zdeno Chara at 18 played even fewer games for ŠHK 37 Piešťany, and of course was told by more than one coach that he would never make it in hockey.

It's a crapshoot, and that goes for every team in the NHL, not just the Bruins. Constantly denigrating Boston's draft picks and gazing longingly at other teams' is an exercise in frustration, but if that's what you enjoy doing, knock yourself out, I guess. Just don't expect many people to join you.

Ofcourse no one has 100% quarantees but I definitely believe there are differences in prospects, that there are safer prospects, a la Ekblad, Hanifin(examples) from the last 2 years for example, prospects with elite IQ, skating, size, talent, prospects with little question marks around their game.
Chara is 39y, I don't feel comfortable with these prospects being the Chara answer right now, to me there isn't time to find out if these can end up being the new Chara, it's going to take years to find out, years Sweeney doesn't have.

I also don't know why you wouldn't look at around you and see what you are going against?
Learn to know the enemy.

I like to point out that I like lot of the prospects Bruins have, I feel there is quality and quality depth but the franchise talent is missing and it's not their fault.

Last edited:

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Ofcourse no one has 100% quarantees but I definitely believe there are differences in prospects, that there are safer prospects, a la Ekblad, Hanifin(examples) from the last 2 years for example, prospects with elite IQ, skating, size, talent, prospects with little question marks around their game.
Chara is 39y, I don't feel comfortable with these prospects being the Chara answer right now, to me there isn't time to find out if these can end up being the new Chara, it's going to take years to find out, years Sweeney doesn't have.

I also don't know why you wouldn't look at around you and see what you are going against?
Learn to know the enemy.

Yandle with sign in Boston as a UFA and Bruins will trade for Shattenkirk .Instantly better.lol

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Chara is 39y, they don't have years left to wait for something to happen.

Learn to know the enemy.

As Dom and others keep trying to tell you, the Bruins (and other teams) have their own standards. They scout these kids intensively, talk to them, their families, their coaches, see and learn things about them that you and I have no clue about. What you may deem a "safe" pick could very well set off alarm bells for a particular team. And how do you come by those declarations? Have you seen all of these kids play, in game after game, under varying conditions? If you're doing the work of a scout, I hope you're getting paid for it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Nail Yakpov for Edmonton tells me to not get to high or too low on them Bruins picks yet.Lots of games will be played before we find out where Bruins got it right and wrong on them picks.

I'm not trying to be flip, but as the Rock would say,

What in the Blue Blazes does Yakupov (the 1st overall pick, not a mid-round pick), an offense-first player that is very dissimilar to the guys the B's took, have to do with any of them?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Learn to know the enemy.

I like to point out that I like lot of the prospects Bruins have, I feel there is quality and quality depth but the franchise talent is missing and it's not their fault.

If only 50% of first rounders play 500 NHL games and most of those at a lesser role than projected,how can a fan pick better than a scout? If you completely align yourself with pre draft rankings then you have about a 20-30% chance of picking a player that will fulfill lofty projections,and less chance the lower the pick. Maybe insider team rankings have higher success rates or historically poor pre draft public ranking success rates force teams to dig deeper. If a player isn't top 2 or 3,it's a hope and a prayer. This big argument about mid first round picks maybe will end up about 5 third liners,based on history. It's fun,to *****,but it's probably not gonna go the way that anybody thinks.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
Was just thinking of how strange and exciting it will be to see the P Bruins Defence next year and the year after that...

For next year on D....

Carlo
Grzelcyk
O'Gara

in 2 years

Carlo
Grzelcyk
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon
Sherman

we will no longer see the names of Cross, Youds, Castro, Breen, Irwin...

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Was just thinking of how strange and exciting it will be to see the P Bruins Defence next year and the year after that...

For next year on D....

Carlo
Grzelcyk
O'Gara

in 2 years

Carlo
Grzelcyk
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon
Sherman

In two years I hope at least one of those guys is wearing a spoked B. The most likely is Carlo. There will be at least two D vacancies at that point.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
As Dom and others keep trying to tell you, the Bruins (and other teams) have their own standards. They scout these kids intensively, talk to them, their families, their coaches, see and learn things about them that you and I have no clue about. What you may deem a "safe" pick could very well set off alarm bells for a particular team. And how do you come by those declarations? Have you seen all of these kids play, in game after game, under varying conditions? If you're doing the work of a scout, I hope you're getting paid for it.

Yes, the standards that think that Hayes and Rinaldo are Bruins material :laugh:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In two years I hope at least one of those guys is wearing a spoked B. The most likely is Carlo. There will be at least two D vacancies at that point.

I would also expect O'Gara to find his way to Boston rather quickly. Big, physical, outstanding skater, exceptional leadership skills, and will be 23 when camp opens in the fall

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Wait, people are arguing that Connor wasn't an obvious pick back then? That's crazy, everyone and their moms had Barzal and Connor basically going right before where we picked or right where we picked. Heck half our board was screaming for Connor in that spot. The Jets had absolutely no business getting him at #17 because he should never have gotten past Dallas and us.

If you trade the #13 pick for say #16-#25, there's a good chance you're getting Debrusk later anyway! That's what was so infuriating on draft day. If you've got it in you to reach, at least trade down.

Nobody said that.

What I said is you (people) are going by public lists. You don't know what team lists are and until you do, the debate about who is a reach or not isn't even worthy of discussion.

For example: How do we know whether the Islanders or Jets didn't have DeBrusk ahead of Barzal/Connor and selected them because DeBrusk was off the board?

We don't. We just assume that was their order because that's what some public lists said. Newsflash. At least three teams had Senyshyn in the first round. Could be more. We'll never know. Not one of the public lists had Senyshyn in the first round. (I was close though ;))

Zboril was basically a no-brainer for them. He was the consensus best d-man available, both public and team related. And a desperate need for this team.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

For next year on D....

Carlo
Grzelcyk
O'Gara

in 2 years

Carlo
Grzelcyk
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon
Sherman

I just hope we don't overcrowd the bottom pairing with vet D men with no upside (in Boston). The Trotmans of the world are fine when they're expected to be #7 d men who can pop into the lineup and play a safe game, but I'd prefer to leave a slot of two open for players like O'Gara and Gryzelcyk.

I'm curious to see if Carlo makes any noise in camp. He could use a full year or two in Providence but I like what he brings.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm not trying to be flip, but as the Rock would say,

What in the Blue Blazes does Yakupov (the 1st overall pick, not a mid-round pick), an offense-first player that is very dissimilar to the guys the B's took, have to do with any of them?

I believe he's talking in general terms, in that Yakupov was the consensus No. 1 pick and has disappointed, disproving the "sure thing" scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad