Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I am totally fine cashing in the Zack Smith lotto ticket at the trade deadline.

There is nothing, NOTHING about what he is doing lately that is in any way even remotely sustainable. You look at his shooting percentage, it's over 2x the league average during this hot streak. You look at the actual goals he's scoring, and a lot of them do not pass the eye test as being sustainable either.

Smith has always been a "work hard" guy, none of what he's done this season, as far as his approach to the game is concerned, is much differnet than what he's done in the past... but his puck luck is absolutely unreal right now.

If some team wants to send us 2nd line value for him (as in, the equivalent value that a "known commodity 2nd line player" would return in a trade), you take that deal without looking back, and worry about filling the hole on your 3rd/4th line in the offseason, before he regressed back to the mean.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Polak and Spaling can return two 2nds and Mike freaking Weber can return a 3rd, we could probably get:

2nd+ for Smith
3rd for Neil
3rd/4th for Chiasson
3rd/4th for Wiercioch

I'm almost hoping the Sens lose the next couple so Murray doesn't get any stupid ideas in his head. We are long shots to make the playoffs, we should be selling at the deadline and taking advantage of some teams desperate for NHL talent.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I would definitely sell high on Smith- grab a 2nd from a team looking for depth to replace the 3rd we lost trading up for Gagne last year.

I think Wiercioch could also get us a 3rd from someone.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Don't trade Smith.

Did Wideman fill in for Gryba, Hammomd for Lehner, Chiaason for Condra? All Depth players but none of them have done the job. There's a huge difference between an NHL player who can fight, score, be a pest and play against top completion like Smith and an AHLer with potential.

This team has to many AHL tweeners and not enough NHL players

SIGN SMITH TO AN EXTENTION

Last edited by a moderator:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
SIGN SMITH TO AN EXTENTION

I'm worried how much this recent stretch of unsustainable play that Smith has been enjoying will push up his contract demands on his next contract.

If Smith comes back and asks for a $3.5mil/year contract over 5 years (which would make him a Sen until he is 34 years old), are you so quick to re-sign him?

He's a UFA after his contract expires next season. He is going to be 29 years old after next season, he isn't a kid anymore. I don't think people realize how long Smith has been in the NHL, and how old he actually is. I'm not at all trying to say that 29 years old is too old or anything, far from it, but I bring it up because he is going to be looking to cash in as hard as he can after next season. It is the only time in his career where he will have a chance to maximize his career as far as earnings is concerned - 29 year old UFA in the prime of his career open to bids from 29 other teams for his services - and will definitely be looking for a raise over the $2.35mil salary (actual dollars) he is going to earn next year in the final year of his current contract.

Signing Smith to an extension is, IMO, a poor use of our limited budget, especially when we have guys over half a decade his junior (and with plenty of cost controlled years remaining) who can fill his job very easily for a fraction of what his UFA price tag is going to be.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He should get no more than $2.5, he's not worth anything more.

That's unfortunately not how UFA works out in many cases.

Every year, we go into July 1st with these reasonable expectations of what we think guys are worth, and then we see some of the contracts handed out and we proceed to pick our jaws up off the floor as soon as noon rolls around. Every year.

I can't see how Smith, being a center (a position that is high in demand every offseason), with his reputation for being a tough player to play against (which a lot of GM's value in July) and with him already sitting at 15 goals this year with a quarter of the season left to play, doesn't ask for at LEAST $3 or $3.25 mil per year with a big chunk of term attached.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Smiths production is still low though. I think you guys are worried about nothing. He'll take less term or less money longer term or walk like Condra, but I don't see him getting term and money.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I like Smith. He's a fantastic #4C that can play up in the lineup as injuries happen. No, you don't want him on the second line for long, but in a pinch he's better than most options. That's value to a team. He's also got nice size and is really effective when he's playing like a dick. Ideally, he's our #4 C.

But if this season has increased his value to the point where you'd get something significant for him it would be hard not to take that deal. Especially with Paul, Lazar & Pageau there to C the bottom 6.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Yeah im on the side of cashing in on his recent success. Trade him for a pick, we have guys in the system who are proving they can replace him (Puempel, McCormick, Paul, Dzyngel)

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The Sens should be able to move Smith for a draft pick or two will replacing him internally for cheaper money.

Under no circumstance should this team be giving out multi year deals to bottom six forwards unless it's to cheap to pass up

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Best case senario is that it could tie into another move that would be the end for BOTH Wier AND Boro? :nod:

I mean, just calling up Claesson does the trick. It doesn't have to be complicated.

That would be the best outcome

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
PW has been good lately. He's better than Wideman but plays the wrong side. He's been better than Boro as well lately. Not sure I'd just want to give him away.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Happy for Wideman. I think Wideman-Claesson is going to be the bottom pairing next year.

As for Smith - I agree. Cash in now.

Nick Paul looks like an NHL player already and a combo of Prince, Puempel and Paul will fill his spot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If our pick ends up being 10-15, would anyone here try to include it in a package for Drouin?

The guy is a top 5 talent and will most likely be better than any player taken in those spots.

Now of course the question is whether he will live up to his potential. I would be worried of his attitude, but i would still trade for him. Guys like him don't become available often.

No. If we're giving up a first, it has to be lotto protected.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
No. If we're giving up a first, it has to be lotto protected.

I'd do it. I'm not too thrilled with this draft class outside the top 10. Even if we miss PO's we'll be between 10-15.

Why not get a guy that has just as much potential, but has actually shown what he can do at the NHL level.

Drouin also has a skillset we need (speed).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am totally fine cashing in the Zack Smith lotto ticket at the trade deadline.

There is nothing, NOTHING about what he is doing lately that is in any way even remotely sustainable. You look at his shooting percentage, it's over 2x the league average during this hot streak. You look at the actual goals he's scoring, and a lot of them do not pass the eye test as being sustainable either.

Smith has always been a "work hard" guy, none of what he's done this season, as far as his approach to the game is concerned, is much differnet than what he's done in the past... but his puck luck is absolutely unreal right now.

If some team wants to send us 2nd line value for him (as in, the equivalent value that a "known commodity 2nd line player" would return in a trade), you take that deal without looking back, and worry about filling the hole on your 3rd/4th line in the offseason, before he regressed back to the mean.

I totally disagree with this especially the bolded portion. He is clearly in better shape than he has ever been, he is lean quick and powerful. He is drawing penalties with his speed and pushing defensemen back while creating space for his linemates, something he has rarely done before. I think like many of the bingo players once they got paid they stopped putting in the work. He was one of the few that has some natural talent, he was a 2nd rounder for a reason. I see a player that saw his career going to waste and turned his life around. He is clearly much faster than he has ever been and he is now over his wrist injury which was not just a small thing to get over. Reconstructive wrist surgery takes time to get recover from.

Before this breakout Smith was only ever used in a grinding role as a center iceman. Perhaps he is a better winger?.... Development isnt linear and he is clearly physically at a higher level than he has ever been. No one expects him to keep up this pace of play but Ottawa is seriously lacking in players that can play both ways hard up and down the lineup and you want to trade him? This team is soft, and Smith isnt. Plus he is on an affordable deal for this team.

I am reading you guys dont like Boro too either, all the guys that are hard to play against and good in the room. I think many of you need to take a step back from this team and maybe read a few books on how/what its like to be a hockey player. This isnt a video game, or played on charts with advanced stats (sure they should be taken into consideration but they arent the be all and end all when building a team). Team dynamic and being hard to play against is very important in this sport. The Ottawa Senators are soft and easy to play against, look at the impact Phaneuf has had in the D zone Ottawa needs more guys that win battles and box out not less. The leadership group needs to grow and mature, to bring more of consistent effort. I really think Phaneuf is helping in this regard, removing the players you guys dont like because you dont value physical play isnt the answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad