Prospect Info: 2015-2016 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part I* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
A guy who gets an NHL contract and winds up in the ECHL is, in fact, a disappointment and a wasted contract. You can afford a few mistakes, but there's no reason to pile on. St. Croix was at least a two time 100-point scorer in the juniors. Noreau is a big defenseman and they take longer to develop. Nej is a defensively-irresponsible player who scored less than half what St. Croix scored...despite being 2 years older in the relevant years.

I would be very surprised if Nej is good enough to keep up in the AHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You need some AHL veterans on your--some who don't really have a NHL future. I can understand that--they help to develop and provide a stable environment for your real prospects. There will be some guys who won't pan out. At the moment I think we have too many and we can start with the guys who spent most of the past couple years in the ECHL. The last couple years we've had a bunch of players on AHL contracts playing in Hartford and this other group of NHL contracts playing in Charlotte and Greenville. A few years back we had one or two of them--now we have five.

We have limited roster space for adding players. What I expect at the moment--if there are no trades--is that the Rangers will invite a few free agents to training camp with the idea of actually competing for an NHL roster spot. That they have in mind to keep some roster spots open pending all that. I don't really think Nejezchleb at the moment is a primary concern to the organization. If he were he'd be signed and by the way he was listed as an invite to the development camp but when I watched the Blue-White scrimmage for that he's the only player I didn't catch (I wrote down names and numbers) which makes me wonder 1. was he at the camp? 2. was he injured?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Does anyone know if Kantor is coming back this season? I never did find out what his injury was.

The Pack should sign a couple of guys like Vaive who don't are content playing in the AHL and aren't going to sulk because they are there the way guys like Mueller do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A guy who gets an NHL contract and winds up in the ECHL is, in fact, a disappointment and a wasted contract. You can afford a few mistakes, but there's no reason to pile on. St. Croix was at least a two time 100-point scorer in the juniors. Noreau is a big defenseman and they take longer to develop. Nej is a defensively-irresponsible player who scored less than half what St. Croix scored...despite being 2 years older in the relevant years.

I would be very surprised if Nej is good enough to keep up in the AHL.

They're wastes and disappointments in retrospect, is my point. They're not signed to contracts with the idea that they're ECHL-caliber players and nothing more; they're signed because the organization thinks it can develop the player into something NHL-caliber. If the organization thinks they can develop Nejezchleb into an NHL player, then they ought to sign him. The fact that other fringe prospects were signed and didn't pan out has no bearing on whether or not Nejezchleb will pan out. You don't refuse to sign a guy you like just because other guys you liked at one point didn't work out. That's silly.

So, my point basically boils down to this: if the Rangers think he has an NHL future, then they'll sign him, and that's fine by me. You gotta trust your scouts and your ability to develop players. If we didn't take gambles on guys with question marks we'd have like 35 guys under contract and we'd put ourselves at a competitive disadvantage.

A true "wasted" contract spot is one that's not assigned to a player. You obviously need to maintain some flexibility--have a spot or two open during the year in case something interesting presents itself--but otherwise I'd expect the team to have no fewer than 48 guys under contract. And the reality is that guys like Nejezchleb (or Noreau, St. Croix, Kantor, etc.) will make up some of those contracts, as there aren't enough "good" prospects to go around.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You need some AHL veterans on your--some who don't really have a NHL future. I can understand that--they help to develop and provide a stable environment for your real prospects. There will be some guys who won't pan out. At the moment I think we have too many and we can start with the guys who spent most of the past couple years in the ECHL. The last couple years we've had a bunch of players on AHL contracts playing in Hartford and this other group of NHL contracts playing in Charlotte and Greenville. A few years back we had one or two of them--now we have five.

We have limited roster space for adding players. What I expect at the moment--if there are no trades--is that the Rangers will invite a few free agents to training camp with the idea of actually competing for an NHL roster spot. That they have in mind to keep some roster spots open pending all that. I don't really think Nejezchleb at the moment is a primary concern to the organization. If he were he'd be signed and by the way he was listed as an invite to the development camp but when I watched the Blue-White scrimmage for that he's the only player I didn't catch (I wrote down names and numbers) which makes me wonder 1. was he at the camp? 2. was he injured?

I think last year, much like this year, we signed a lot more AHL veterans than we did in years past. We went into last season knowing we'd have some guys in the ECHL that in prior years would have been in the AHL. That's a big part of the reason why Hartford was a bit more competitive last year than in the recent past--more veteran guys down there and less room for fringe guys. It's why someone like St. Croix saw 15 games or whatever two years ago but none last season. There was a lot less room for the fringe guys.

It's going to happen again this season. There are going to be lower-tier prospects in the ECHL that probably would have made the AHL team three, four, five years ago.

I agree that Nejezchleb is not a big concern to the organization. He's a fringe prospect at the moment and all indications are that we will retain his rights into next summer, so there's no reason to do anything with him now other than figure out where he'll play next year. I'm not totally sure about the free agent invites; I think the team has a pretty good idea of what the roster will look like going into next season and I don't see any glaring deficiencies that would warrant and additional veteran invites. Maybe they bring in some guys as warm bodies at camp, but I'm not sold that there are any roster spots to win for players not already with the organization. We'll see soon enough though.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
They're wastes and disappointments in retrospect, is my point. They're not signed to contracts with the idea that they're ECHL-caliber players and nothing more; they're signed because the organization thinks it can develop the player into something NHL-caliber.

Obviously true, but at least with guys like St. Croix there was hope as a high-risk, high-return prospect, with a guy like Noreau/Donnay that big blueliners take longer to develop, but with Nej, there really is no hope that he'll be an NHLer unless he turns out to be a very late bloomer and that almost never happens. That's why he should sign an AHL contract and see what he can do.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
We don't know if part of the deal between Sather and Gorton was for Salts to lay off the 2015 draft (scouting and selections) even before the formal resignation. Analyzing their 2015 draft makes me think this was all Gorton and staff looking for puck-possession types to not only improve in that regard, but minimize risk of wasting picks on boom-or-bust types (Zborovskiy notwithstanding).

Every pick beside Huska (and Z) can be considered puck hounds/puck magnets but none outside of Saarela have elite game-breaking skill (Morrison is close). I think had Sather had his hand in this draft, they would have drafted the PMD/PPQB they so desperately need and gone for home run swings on guys like Yan, Bracco, Korostelev, Sprong, Kylington, Kaprizoff, Malgin etc.

Good draft considering the volume and likely NHL players but I just dont know if any of the forward prospects current or recently drafted will become a 30/70 type. Buchnevich remains the closest but we all know his deal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I watched a bunch of Erie Otters games today and I love Donnay. Granted, he's an overager so he should look great in Juniors games, but he looked great.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I watched a bunch of Erie Otters games today and I love Donnay. Granted, he's an overager so he should look great in Juniors games, but he looked great.

he got rekd by some smaller guy in the game thats on now. junior hockey can be such ****** quality at times with the terrible defensive structure and focus from these kids lol. ive only just got nhl network and the 2 games ive seen have had a combined 27+ goals in them.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He's from Kamloops, I think everyone's favorite Ranger, Rudy Poesheck was from there. There's nothing wrong with the article it's typical fluff put out by a JR. team.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
They're wastes and disappointments in retrospect, is my point. They're not signed to contracts with the idea that they're ECHL-caliber players and nothing more; they're signed because the organization thinks it can develop the player into something NHL-caliber. If the organization thinks they can develop Nejezchleb into an NHL player, then they ought to sign him. The fact that other fringe prospects were signed and didn't pan out has no bearing on whether or not Nejezchleb will pan out. You don't refuse to sign a guy you like just because other guys you liked at one point didn't work out. That's silly.

So, my point basically boils down to this: if the Rangers think he has an NHL future, then they'll sign him, and that's fine by me. You gotta trust your scouts and your ability to develop players. If we didn't take gambles on guys with question marks we'd have like 35 guys under contract and we'd put ourselves at a competitive disadvantage.

A true "wasted" contract spot is one that's not assigned to a player. You obviously need to maintain some flexibility--have a spot or two open during the year in case something interesting presents itself--but otherwise I'd expect the team to have no fewer than 48 guys under contract. And the reality is that guys like Nejezchleb (or Noreau, St. Croix, Kantor, etc.) will make up some of those contracts, as there aren't enough "good" prospects to go around.

^This.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
We don't know if part of the deal between Sather and Gorton was for Salts to lay off the 2015 draft (scouting and selections) even before the formal resignation. Analyzing their 2015 draft makes me think this was all Gorton and staff looking for puck-possession types to not only improve in that regard, but minimize risk of wasting picks on boom-or-bust types (Zborovskiy notwithstanding).

Every pick beside Huska (and Z) can be considered puck hounds/puck magnets but none outside of Saarela have elite game-breaking skill (Morrison is close). I think had Sather had his hand in this draft, they would have drafted the PMD/PPQB they so desperately need and gone for home run swings on guys like Yan, Bracco, Korostelev, Sprong, Kylington, Kaprizoff, Malgin etc.

Good draft considering the volume and likely NHL players but I just dont know if any of the forward prospects current or recently drafted will become a 30/70 type. Buchnevich remains the closest but we all know his deal.

Still think NYR came out pretty decent in June's draft, but I agree they should've gambled on at least Korostelev in the 7th.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Adam Herman's rankings of the Rangers prospects on SB Nation:

1. Brady Skjei-D
2. Pavel Buchnevich-LW
3. Oscar Lindberg-C
4. MacKenzie Skapski-G
5. Brandon Halverson-G
6. Ryan Graves-D
7. Adam Tambellini-C/LW
8. Igor Shesterkin-G
9. Ryan Gropp-LW
10. Robin Kovacs-LW
11. Dylan McIlrath-D
12. Boo Nieves--C/W
13. Aleksi Saarela-C
14. Brad Morrison-C
15. Daniel Bernhardt-RW
16. Petr Zamorsky-D
17. Mat Bodie-D
18. Keegan Iverson-RW
19. Richard Nejezchleb-RW
20. Calle Andersson-D
21. Ryan Bourque-LW
22. Magnus Hellberg-G
23. Steven Fogarty-C
24. Tyler Nanne-D
25. Marek Hrivik-LW
26. Ryan Mantha-D
27. Adam Huska-G
28. Sergei Zborovskiy-D
29. Carl Klingberg-LW
30. Tommy Hughes-D
31. Michael St. Croix-C
32. Troy Donnay-D
33. Chris McCarthy-W
34. Samuel Noreau-D
35. Josh Nicholls-RW
36. Michael Kantor-RW

So McIlrath is way too low. I don't get why Graves (a guy that Herman figures is going to need two years in Hartford) is 5 spots higher. It's more like McIlrath and Graves should switch positions.

My next major issue is with Nejezchleb at 19 and to a lesser degree Nanne at 25. I'm not the biggest fan of Hrivik but Nejezchleb over him by 6 spots?--he's not even signed and there's a good chance he won't be. Hrivik arguably could make the Rangers this year. Nej is ahead of Bourque as well--another forward who could arguably make the Rangers. Nanne is a very undersized D who had a so so first year after his draft in the USHL and will probably need all 4 of his years at Ohio St. for the Rangers to make a decision on. He's ranked ahead of Hrivik as well.

Klingberg is another who if he stayed would have had a shot at a Rangers forward position. Can only think he's being punished in these rankings for signing with a KHL team.

I will say a lot of Herman's individual synopses of players seems well written and thought out. Some of the new guys like Gropp, Kovacs, Saarela, Morrison, Bernhardt and even Iverson all sound like they could be really good players for us some day. He hates a bit on Zborovskiy. We shall see. The Rangers scouting staff must have seen something they really like from him.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

1. Brady Skjei-D
2. Pavel Buchnevich-LW
3. Oscar Lindberg-C
4. MacKenzie Skapski-G
5. Brandon Halverson-G
6. Ryan Graves-D
7. Adam Tambellini-C/LW
8. Igor Shesterkin-G
9. Ryan Gropp-LW
10. Robin Kovacs-LW
11. Dylan McIlrath-D
12. Boo Nieves--C/W
13. Aleksi Saarela-C
14. Brad Morrison-C
15. Daniel Bernhardt-RW
16. Petr Zamorsky-D
17. Mat Bodie-D
18. Keegan Iverson-RW
20. Calle Andersson-D
21. Ryan Bourque-LW
22. Magnus Hellberg-G
23. Steven Fogarty-C
24. Tyler Nanne-D
25. Marek Hrivik-LW
26. Ryan Mantha-D
27. Adam Huska-G
28. Sergei Zborovskiy-D
29. Carl Klingberg-LW
30. Tommy Hughes-D
31. Michael St. Croix-C
32. Troy Donnay-D
33. Chris McCarthy-W
34. Samuel Noreau-D
35. Josh Nicholls-RW
36. Michael Kantor-RW

I respect Adam's analysis but 9,10,13,14,15 from 2015 draft reflects the 'shiny new toy' syndrome we hear all to often.
The newest guys are over-rated and the guys we've known a while are often taken for granted. That combined with pedigree, ie drafted position or UDFA.

I think Hughes and Hrivik have earned better.
But these are thought-out opinions behind the rankings

I am grateful for the efforts and insights, and for a good mid-summer hockey/NYR read

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Buchnevich and his KHL club Severstal opened pre-season with an away win against Sochi 5:1. Buch had two assists (one on a PP), while his new linemate Scorohodov scored a hat-trick. KHL 2015-2016 season starts earlier this year - at the end of August.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Buchnevich and his KHL club Severstal opened pre-season with an away win against Sochi 5:1. Buch had two assists (one on a PP), while his new linemate Scorohodov scored a hat-trick. KHL 2015-2016 season starts earlier this year - at the end of August.

Does that mean it will end earlier? Meaning Buch could potentially come to NA in March?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Does that mean it will end earlier? Meaning Buch could potentially come to NA in March?

Yes, potentially. Though the last day of the regular season is February 18 but he will have a commitment to Severstal beyond that date if they make the play-offs and or he will be on the Russian National team roster.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

1. Brady Skjei-D
2. Pavel Buchnevich-LW
3. Oscar Lindberg-C
4. MacKenzie Skapski-G
5. Brandon Halverson-G
6. Ryan Graves-D
7. Adam Tambellini-C/LW
8. Igor Shesterkin-G
9. Ryan Gropp-LW
10. Robin Kovacs-LW
11. Dylan McIlrath-D
12. Boo Nieves--C/W
13. Aleksi Saarela-C
14. Brad Morrison-C
15. Daniel Bernhardt-RW
16. Petr Zamorsky-D
17. Mat Bodie-D
18. Keegan Iverson-RW
20. Calle Andersson-D
21. Ryan Bourque-LW
22. Magnus Hellberg-G
23. Steven Fogarty-C
24. Tyler Nanne-D
25. Marek Hrivik-LW
26. Ryan Mantha-D
27. Adam Huska-G
28. Sergei Zborovskiy-D
29. Carl Klingberg-LW
30. Tommy Hughes-D
31. Michael St. Croix-C
32. Troy Donnay-D
33. Chris McCarthy-W
34. Samuel Noreau-D
35. Josh Nicholls-RW
36. Michael Kantor-RW

So McIlrath is way too low. I don't get why Graves (a guy that Herman figures is going to need two years in Hartford) is 5 spots higher. It's more like McIlrath and Graves should switch positions.

My next major issue is with Nejezchleb at 19 and to a lesser degree Nanne at 25. I'm not the biggest fan of Hrivik but Nejezchleb over him by 6 spots?--he's not even signed and there's a good chance he won't be. Hrivik arguably could make the Rangers this year. Nej is ahead of Bourque as well--another forward who could arguably make the Rangers. Nanne is a very undersized D who had a so so first year after his draft in the USHL and will probably need all 4 of his years at Ohio St. for the Rangers to make a decision on. He's ranked ahead of Hrivik as well.

Klingberg is another who if he stayed would have had a shot at a Rangers forward position. Can only think he's being punished in these rankings for signing with a KHL team.

I will say a lot of Herman's individual synopses of players seems well written and thought out. Some of the new guys like Gropp, Kovacs, Saarela, Morrison, Bernhardt and even Iverson all sound like they could be really good players for us some day. He hates a bit on Zborovskiy. We shall see. The Rangers scouting staff must have seen something they really like from him.

Uh-oh:

https://twitter.com/AdamHerman_BSB/status/624690948258328576

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Scorehodov kind of has to score a bunch with that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad