Prospect Info: 2015-2016 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part I* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Eichel is Grachev to our Duchene. God it'd be nice if we could say that, in terms of career development, in a few years...christ that'd be monumentally horrific for buffalo though

Im completely confused what you are trying to say with this post. I've read it over 50x and still can't figure it out.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Eichel is Grachev to our Duchene. God it'd be nice if we could say that, in terms of career development, in a few years...christ that'd be monumentally horrific for buffalo though

6IAPwW5.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oksanen is a big strong guy. Some aren't too crazy about his skating. The guy has a bullet of a shot though and he he has no problem one timing it. He also has a knack for finding seams in defenses to get his shot off. He started at BU as a defenseman and he goes back to it off and on.

Anyway think Ryan Malone--not last year's Ryan Malone--but a Ryan Malone 5 or 10 years ago. That's what the team that eventually signs him will be hoping to get---minus the occasional fight. Oksanen probably won't be doing much of that.

Anyway whether he'd sign with the Rangers is another thing. Last I knew his plan was to go back to BU for his senior year.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
CHL import draft:

105 London London Daniel Bernhardt Right Wing
108 North Bay North Bay Robin Kovacs Right Wing

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I know it was posted above, but London selected Bernhardt and North Bay selected Kovacs in this years CHL Import Draft.

I doubt that Kovacs will come over, but what about Bernhardt? I think London would be a great opportunity if he doesn't make the SHL's Djurgarden.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I know it was posted above, but London selected Bernhardt and North Bay selected Kovacs in this years CHL Import Draft.

I doubt that Kovacs will come over, but what about Bernhardt? I think London would be a great opportunity if he doesn't make the SHL's Djurgarden.

I thought so too at first but its best to keep him in a mens league. He'll make it. The stats project him making it and he does look the part.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i posted this as a reply in the WolfPack topic,
but it may be more appropriate to ask here

the word on Walcott was that he'd told NYR wasn't gonna sign, maybe because of all the strong young D's ahead of him

which indirectly raises the Nejezchleb question - like Walcott, he's already 21.
He attended Prospect Dev Camp,
but do NYR even still have exclusive rights to him?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Nej is obviously a bust. He put up as an overager the kind of numbers that most NHLers put up as 17 year olds. And he's not a defensive guy either, so numbers do tell the story with him.... Had the Rangers offered him a two-way deal, he'd have accepted the QO. I highly doubt he's holding out for more money considering he's a crap prospect. He should go back to the Czech Republic, he'll make more money there and will live at home.

yeah Nej is a marginal prospect at this point.

But can anyone shed light on the draft-rights question?

In '14 NYR, drafted 2 players (Nej and Walcott) who
(a) had already turned 20 and
(b) were playing in CHL Major Junior.

For how long, or under what conditions, will NYR retain (or lose) exclusive NHL rights to such older players?
IF they do retain rights affecting NHL/AHL/ECHL into next season, what happens if player signs with an independent minor pro team? in Europe?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible, and if they are not eligible, will become unrestricted an free agent. A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible, and if they are not eligible, will become unrestricted an free agent. A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college.

AK -
thanks for trying to help, i appreciate it,
but the Nejezchleb case is different.
at 21 he is no longer eligible for draft and no longer eligible to play junior hockey

I found a page with that text you quoted above

here is more from that page

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/rules/
Eligibility: Any North American player who turns 18 by September 15 and does not turn 20 by Decemeber 31 is eligible for the draft. Any non-North American player can be drafted at any age if they are at least 18 by September 15. If a player is 18, they must declare themselves eligible, but if a player turns 19 by September 15th, they are automatically eligible for selection in the draft.

"A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible"

so actually, the only players who an re-enter draft, are ones who were drafted at 18, but not signed within 2 years

NYR selected a re-entered player a few years back, and also had an unsigned pick re-enter and be picked

Eric Hunter
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69039
Drafted by Chicago Blackhawks - round 8 #229 overall 2004 NHL Entry Draft
Drafted by New York Rangers - round 6 #174 overall 2006 NHL Entry Draft

Garett Bembridge
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=31010
Drafted by New York Rangers - round 5 #137 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft
Drafted by Calgary Flames - round 7 #207 overall 2001 NHL Entry Draft

a list if twice-drafteds from '99-'10 is in this article
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/6/3/1498138/getting-drafted-for-a-second-time

anyway its a curious question.
the NYR used 2 '14 draft picks on 20-year olds
i presume they knew their rights regarding Nejezchleb

but it seems unclear to me
I truly expect that their rights to Nejezchleb must expire sooner than June'16
i will continue to ask around and dig around the 'net

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
AK -
thanks for trying to help, i appreciate it,
but the Nejezchleb case is different.
at 21 he is no longer eligible for draft and no longer eligible to play junior hockey

I found a page with that text you quoted above

here is more from that page

Eligibility: Any North American player who turns 18 by September 15 and does not turn 20 by Decemeber 31 is eligible for the draft. Any non-North American player can be drafted at any age if they are at least 18 by September 15. If a player is 18, they must declare themselves eligible, but if a player turns 19 by September 15th, they are automatically eligible for selection in the draft.

"A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible"

so actually, the only players who an re-enter draft, are ones who were drafted at 18, but not signed within 2 years

NYR selected a re-entered player a few years back, and also had an unsigned pick re-enter and be picked

Eric Hunter
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69039
Drafted by Chicago Blackhawks - round 8 #229 overall 2004 NHL Entry Draft
Drafted by New York Rangers - round 6 #174 overall 2006 NHL Entry Draft

Garett Bembridge
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=31010
Drafted by New York Rangers - round 5 #137 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft
Drafted by Calgary Flames - round 7 #207 overall 2001 NHL Entry Draft

a list if twice-drafteds from '99-'10 is in this article
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/6/3/1498138/getting-drafted-for-a-second-time

anyway its a curious question.
the NYR used 2 '14 draft picks on 20-year olds
i presume they knew their rights regarding Nejezchleb

but it seems unclear to me
I truly expect that their rights to Nejezchleb must expire sooner than June'16
i will continue to ask around and dig around the 'net

As I posted before the answer is still Yes. Rangers have Nejezchleb's rights exclusively still and he is still listed as Rangers property on their website.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
As I posted before the answer is still Yes. Rangers have Nejezchleb's rights exclusively still and he is still listed as Rangers property on their website.

yeah he's listed there,
but Walcott is not listed at Bolts prospet site (Walcott did attend TB Dev Camp)

NYR Prospect list has often had some inconsistencies and outdated listings

One of these days i will find a complete answer.

I know some probably find this ongoing question annoying, treat it like the endless Tanner Glass complaints and unending taking for granted of Dan Girardi...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I see no point at all to the Rangers signing Nejezchleb to a 3 year ELC. It's debatable whether he'd even stick as an AHL player--much more likely if we signed him he'd be an ECHL player. Currently we have a bunch of wasted ELC players playing in the ECHL--St. Croix, Nicholls, Noreau, McCarthy, Kantor and for all intents and purposes they're all done as prospects even if they all have one year left to go on their respective ELC's. If you can't fight your way out of the ECHL into the AHL after two years--like St.Croix, Nicholls, Noreau, Kantor--you're ****ing nowhere. We don't need to add another one. A lot more interested in stocking Hartford with a legit prospect than Greenville with someone you're not at all sure about.

Rangers are at 47 contracts. They usually carry 48/49 during a season. We have one or two slots. No sense wasting them on someone who has no shot of helping the team. Nejezchleb is nowhere near ready to challenge for an NHL job.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm okay giving Nejezchleb a contract. He's big and strong and very skilled. He doesn't want to play defense and he sometimes goes crazy trying to be a one-man show, but he has real talent. The WHL coaches picked him as the league's best overage player; that's not a super-important award or anything, but it does show that other coaches recognize his ability. I know, age and points per game, yadda yadda, it's whatever. I think he's an okay gamble to take. I won't be at all surprised if we let him walk, but I won't be upset if he does in fact receive a deal.

Guys on NHL deals in the ECHL aren't really "wasted" ELC's. Literally every organization has similar numbers of similar quality players. You sign guys to NHL contracts with the hope that they pan out. A lot of times, they don't. It's not really a waste, though, it's just the nature of signing young players with question marks. It's true that if you can't make it out of the ECHL after two years you're pretty much done in terms of NHL projectability, but how do you know a guy can't make it out of the ECHL without giving him an opportunity to do so? If the team signs a guy to an ELC it's because the scouts see something they like and think the player can develop within the organization. We have 50 contract spots for a reason, and it's not as if there's an abundance of NHL-ready prospects on the market at the moment.

Fortunately for Nejezchleb, I believe he can play on an AHL deal this year while we retain his rights. That's better for us in that we can evaluate his play and determine next year whether he warrants an ELC. That's probably what happens, I'd guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad