2015-2016 Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Reilly Spurgeon would make a nice #2 PP unit, and give Scandella some rest so we can lean on him for PK and tight game duties, which are more tiring. As good as Reilly might be on the PP, I'm still not sure that Scandella wouldn't be just as good, if not better, especially playing with Spurge. He has got a hard shot, and isn't averse to moving up if needed.

Hell, I haven't given on Brodin as a PP option. I think it would force him into being more aggressive offensively.

Unfortunately, both Scandella and Brodin are the victim of both their defensive competence and Dumba/ Reilly's combination of defensive mediocrity and offensive brilliance.

I can see a time in the not so distant future when Suter doesn't play of the PP and we save him for more defensive duties.

Imagine a Reilly/Brodin THIRD pairing? Yeoww. Two of, if not the two best skaters on the team and they play third pairing D?

You're not going to have them doing the same things. Reilly has the agility and puck control that Scandella doesn't, to play the top of the umbrella; and you're not going to put Reilly in the one-timer position, which you would for Scandella, because of the differences in their shots.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
2015-2016: After Yeo - 4-0 with 21 goals for and 8 goals against

2014-2015: After Dubynk - 2-1-1 with 15 goals for and 9 goals against (also in that same time frame between (Feb 15 -21) 3-1-0 with 15 goals for and and 9 goals against)

2013-2014: Post-Olympics (Feb 27th) 3-1-0 with 11 goals and 7 goals against

I mean yes we're scoring more goals - but really? We've always had a bit of a bounce in February.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Standings after tonight....

Nash +6
Minn +5
Col +4

Never mind the points. These are Wins - Losses, which accounts for games in hand. Back to a playoff position

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Kick us in the crotch why don't you?

Here's a better one:

Minnesota barely misses the playoffs by 2 points, getting the 14th pick in the draft. They pick another two-way forward, which won't help the team next season. In the off-season they trade for RNH, who promptly gets injured (he hasn't played a full season yet and has missed significant time) while Jonas Brodin now with his old buddy Klefbom breaks out offensively and scores 40 points next season. Meanwhile, Minnesota has another major slump next season.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Here's a better one:

Minnesota barely misses the playoffs by 2 points, getting the 14th pick in the draft. They pick another two-way forward, which won't help the team next season. In the off-season they trade for RNH, who promptly gets injured (he hasn't played a full season yet and has missed significant time) while Jonas Brodin now with his old buddy Klefbom breaks out offensively and scores 40 points next season. Meanwhile, Minnesota has another major slump next season.

Make it stopppppppp!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Here's a better one:

lol fair point. Minnesota has seen many players leave their pro sports and flourish and/or win championships. Even Punto has a World Series ring!

I still find Brodin to be the odd man out though, which really makes me sad. Reilly is playing fantastic and the fact that players like him and Folin are actually getting quality minutes instead of defensive only minutes has seem to bolster their confidence. It will be really hard for them to not keep those 2 up here with Prosser as the 7th D in the pressbox in the event someone got hurt (which I am okay with). Oloffson is first callup from Iowa.

It just sadly (and yes I do mean sadly in my homer rube eyes) that Brodin be the one who gets sent packing. Not to mention it does free up another $4M in capspace in order to get a player like RNH. I still wish the RyJo one went through...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
lol fair point. Minnesota has seen many players leave their pro sports and flourish and/or win championships. Even Punto has a World Series ring!

I still find Brodin to be the odd man out though, which really makes me sad. Reilly is playing fantastic and the fact that players like him and Folin are actually getting quality minutes instead of defensive only minutes has seem to bolster their confidence. It will be really hard for them to not keep those 2 up here with Prosser as the 7th D in the pressbox in the event someone got hurt (which I am okay with). Oloffson is first callup from Iowa.

It just sadly (and yes I do mean sadly in my homer rube eyes) that Brodin be the one who gets sent packing. Not to mention it does free up another $4M in capspace in order to get a player like RNH. I still wish the RyJo one went through...

I will be really bummed if Brodin goes. Reilly has had a VERY small sample size up here, and while he has looked decent defensively( much better than expected), it remains to be seen how steady he can be, though I admit his offense is a bonus, and not something you find often in a third pairing Dman. Folin has been OK at times, crap at others, but I still think he is an improvement over Prosser, who's time as a Wild player has come and gone, IMO. If we can move him at the TDL then we should. I think an Olofsson (Strachan might be a better choice for this year) is just fine as a 7D callup.

I just don't see Brodin getting chances on this team to improve his offensive play. He has the tools to be a decent or better offensive player, but our D is overwhelmed with offensive talent. I don't see where he fits in. On another team he could get chances to play #2 PP at least...even here, a couple years ago. Right now, with Dumba, Reilly...not a chance. Even Scandella is getting squeezed out.

A team like OTT, BOS, ARI, TOR, VAN,( purposely didn't mention EDM, apparently Brodin isn't good enough for them :help:) many teams, really, would love to get Brodin, but the trick is getting the right return. I would be prepared to add if we get a young legit top line talent. Don't want an average second liner. We've got those. If we are getting a smaller player, he better be fast and a legit scoring threat. We are small enough up front as is.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Wild now have 6th best goal differential and 8th best win percentage in the West.

8th best win %age. That runs parallel to my earlier post that we have passed Colorado and are now in 8th place. Nashville is one point ahead.

I predict that we end up 7th, again (3rd year in a row). But this time, we will go west, and play either LA or Anaheim.

I actually like that matchup better.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Cb1oZarVAAE0Yfh.jpg

This is nice...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Caps will be the acid test. Will really let us know where we are at. They are a borderline great team... D could be stronger, though they have a great goalie.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think you can take "borderline" out of the sentence. 10 regulation losses through 2/22 is legit great.

I'm talking in a historical context. For instance, I think the current CHI team is a historically great team, but on the bottom end. So was Detroit a few years ago. PITT? ?..should've been, but concussions messed with their best player. Not so much LA, and certainly not the Carolina SC team. WAS has to win a Cup, then win another one within about three years, for me to think about calling them great in a historical context.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
15 points from #3 in the Division. I still think Dallas comes back down to reality but I still don't want to play them in the playoffs. Too much offense there to worry every time they make an entry.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
15 points from #3 in the Division. I still think Dallas comes back down to reality but I still don't want to play them in the playoffs. Too much offense there to worry every time they make an entry.

4 options:

Chicago = Nope
Dallas = Noooope
Blues = Maybe
Kings = Why not?

Pacifist is a dumpster. Next bracket is either SJ or ANA.

Very happy if we end the season in Wildcard 1.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

I'd hate to play Dallas. Would only take one of Seguin or Benn getting hot to sink any team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd hate to play Dallas. Would only take one of Seguin or Benn getting hot to sink any team.

Seguin, Benn, Kane and Tarasenko could beat a team pretty much by themselves.

I don't see anybody over in the Pacific that could do the same. Perry/Getzlaf/Carter/Thornton/Couture aren't on that level anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad