Recalled/Assigned: 2015-2016 Injury Updates & Roster Moves (Moen out; Seguin's status still unknown)

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Thanks for the response. That looks pretty good on paper.

Yea, we're basically going to add a 2nd pairing once they both return. Defense has looked fine without them for the time being.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Curtis McKenzie recalled.

Russell and Demers skating, Demers in a no-contact jersey.

Janmark and Eaves not skating.

Not sure about Seguin. Asked Mark, we'll see what he says.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Eaves and getting hit by teammates in the head . Will it ever stop ? :(

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Eaves is a nice player. I think he plays in the top6 too often, but he just can't be counted on. He can't stay healthy.

David Bondra

Apr 5, 2016
Dallas, Texas
Two things. One, I'm glad McKenzie has been recalled. He was great last year and the little sample we saw this year from him was solid. Two, FINALLY we're getting our defensemen back, took long enough. I have loved what both Demers and Russell have done. No doubt they will come back ASAP and no doubt they will help Dallas.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Also Eaves only missed 30 ish games in both seasons for the stars. Hell only 29 this season if he sits out both games . Thats what i call progress ! ^^

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Dickinson recalled. Spezza ill.

Team o' rookies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I am going tonight. I always like seeing a player in their NHL debut. I am sure he is dreaming of scoring the game winning goal that clinches first in the West, but it probably won't happen that way......

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The issue with Eaves, apart from the injuries and cap hit, is where he fits going forward. Ritchie steps into his power play minutes as a more natural net front guy with good hands, and the physical dimension he brings and his relative health advantage makes a good case for him to be on the roster ahead of Eaves. When you look at what works this season, you have
Benn-Seguin
Janmark-Spezza
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
with Sharp, Nichushkin, Eakin, and Ritchie in 4 of the remaining 5 regular spots. Eaves is a player who can move up the lineup if you want to make big changes, but so can the 2 of those 4 who are on the 4th line. That group doesn't include 2 of our regular penalty killers either, which makes Eaves even less likely to be retained. He's going to be an insurance policy at best when we've got Shore and Dickinson who can be called up or trade avenues to explore.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
His cap hit is really minimally over a true rookie, as is Fiddlers if they decide to keep him over one more year to keep some experience in the forward ranks. He is young enough to keep in the experienced vet role, although I suspect Fids is probably gone, even though he is productive.

Some national article questions some of the Stars unconventional methods, like two goalies, offense over defense, etc. What they didn't mention was that all three in season/late season call ups (Faksa, Johns, Ritchie) are getting key roles and being relied on. Young players get better and old ones get older. If Nil has an eye on the future, and I think he considers us a bigger cup contender over the next two years over this one, I think he rolls with the youth so they gain experience for the "real" Cup runs to come.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The issue with Eaves, apart from the injuries and cap hit, is where he fits going forward. Ritchie steps into his power play minutes as a more natural net front guy with good hands, and the physical dimension he brings and his relative health advantage makes a good case for him to be on the roster ahead of Eaves. When you look at what works this season, you have
Benn-Seguin
Janmark-Spezza
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
with Sharp, Nichushkin, Eakin, and Ritchie in 4 of the remaining 5 regular spots. Eaves is a player who can move up the lineup if you want to make big changes, but so can the 2 of those 4 who are on the 4th line. That group doesn't include 2 of our regular penalty killers either, which makes Eaves even less likely to be retained. He's going to be an insurance policy at best when we've got Shore and Dickinson who can be called up or trade avenues to explore.

Eaves probably doesn't come back next season, but I wouldn't be so quick to say Ritchie steals his spot. Ritchie has yet to prove he can stay healthier than Eaves, and Ritchie also has yet to show he has NHL hands.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think there's a chance Eaves comes back. Albeit it's likely only one of Eaves and Sceviour comes back and Sceviour is just a much more reliable option.

I wouldn't be too upset if Eaves does return. He's cheap and when healthy has a very positive impact and he misses enough games that some youngers can get in some NHL experience .

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
His cap hit is really minimally over a true rookie, as is Fiddlers if they decide to keep him over one more year to keep some experience in the forward ranks. He is young enough to keep in the experienced vet role, although I suspect Fids is probably gone, even though he is productive.

Some national article questions some of the Stars unconventional methods, like two goalies, offense over defense, etc. What they didn't mention was that all three in season/late season call ups (Faksa, Johns, Ritchie) are getting key roles and being relied on. Young players get better and old ones get older. If Nil has an eye on the future, and I think he considers us a bigger cup contender over the next two years over this one, I think he rolls with the youth so they gain experience for the "real" Cup runs to come.

Cap hit might be a matter of a few hundred k, but every dollar is going to be important next year, and Eaves gets paid this year to produce like last year, a season in which he got paid to produce like this year. But you hit on opportunity cost, which is important to consider here as well.

If you make a list of what Eaves does, you can get all of it from guys who have a future here/are already under contract and who aren't injury risks. It might be hard to make a case against Eaves, but it is much harder to make a case for him when you consider all our constraints.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Fiddler's gone, and I'd suspect Sceviour will be too.

Eaves stays for another year, IMO.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I would like to keep Scevior as I think he can be Fids 2.0 on the 4th line and doesn't look totally out of place higher up.

Only problem is, I think some team will offer him a bit more than the Stars can or will and I think he is the least likely to stay, even if the best fit.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Had to be done since he was just up on emergency basis for Spezza.

By the way how does the call-up stuff work in the playoffs . Do the Stars still have just the 1 Call-up left outside of emergency ?

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Fully healthy defense , neat . Ruff already said he would prefer to go with 3 lefties and 3 righties when he has the option to. So that mean would mean Jordie at #7 .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad