Recalled/Assigned: 2015-2016 Injury Updates & Roster Moves (Moen out; Seguin's status still unknown)

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
can someone give me cliff note versions of preseason?

will we look good, or will we struggle to mesh?
the preseason standings look bad.

The preseason doesn't matter

Basically this.

Its been a mish-mash. We haven't played Benn or Hemsky yet, Seguin's looked good in his two games, Janmark's been good, no one else seems to have stood out (I haven't been able to watch so this is just stats and what I've read).

Goaltending has not looked good though. Hopefully its just rust.

No idea about the defense.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I Know it means nothing.....but also have a hard time convincing myself of certain things, like Kari still struggling a bit while I was hoping for a bounceback season, and letting in 6 against the Blues.

I understand the lineup differences, etc. But still I worry they aren't looking as sharp as I thought they might. Well, we have two games left to change my mind and build up hope!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
No less worried after listening on the radio last night....still early but we have to wonder in real time if a team that has problems on D really improved itself any by swapping Daley for Oduya and keeping the same other guys? How much better can they get? Certainly JJ has had an impressive preseason.

On the bright side, I liked the new guy as announcer. A little more talky than Ralph, which is good for radio broadcasts. Sometimes, Ralph forgot half his audience had not images and didn't fully describe the play.

Last edited:

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
The preseason has definitely been less than stellar for the Stars. I haven't seen the highlights from last night's game but it sounded like it was pretty rough. Hopefully this can be credited to some rust and the different personnel groupings.

Here is a quick glance at the stats:

GP|W|L|OTL|G|GA|DIFF|S|SA|DIFF|SV%
5|1|4|0|11|20 |-9 |132|120|-12|.848%

Special Teams:
PPO|PPG|PP%|PKO|GA|PK%|Hits/PG|FO%|
20|1|5%|21|4|81%|29.6|53.6%

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I've got a ton of confidence in Dallas' skaters, they got the Stars to 41 wins and 92 points despite our goalies putting up a putrid .895 sv%. I'm definitely worried about our goalies but I refuse to believe that they will be as bad as last year. And even bouncing half way back to the mean should be good enough for a wildcard birth.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Understood on the goalies. I do have to believe that Niemi (or Kari) as backup would get us more than the 1 win out of a dozen or so tries that we got from various back ups last year. 5 or 6 more wins, with the starter about the same as last year would have got us to the PO, so we should be good.

Still, Niemi looked sharp last night according to Razor, but was still hung out to dry for four goals he couldn't do much to stop, meaning our D still needs some big time work, too.

beeker16

Jun 19, 2003
has campbell had any time in net?
anything promising or shaping up to be a permanent AHL fixture?

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
For Dallas, Campbell has started one game this preseason. He is 0-1-0 and stopped 31 of 34 shots for a 91.4% and a 3.05 GAA. He is set to be the starter in the AHL and hopefully he can keep that job all year. He has shown flashes of being a promising netminder, he was great in 2012-13, but last season he appeared to take a step back in terms of progression. This will be a make or break year for Jack, so I will be watching to see how he performs very closely. It was reported that he will miss a couple weeks due to a hand injury, so probably not the way he wanted to start this season.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Maybe pick up Scrivens on waivers or for like a 5th? The guy has actually had great numbers every season except last yr in edmonton, and he still outplayed the backup statistically...the oilers are just a goalie graveyard...he isnt actually as bad as last yrs numbers indicated.

I wouldnt be surprised if he came here and threw up a .915 sv percentage.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Maybe pick up Scrivens on waivers or for like a 5th? The guy has actually had great numbers every season except last yr in edmonton, and he still outplayed the backup statistically...the oilers are just a goalie graveyard...he isnt actually as bad as last yrs numbers indicated.

I wouldnt be surprised if he came here and threw up a .915 sv percentage.

And carry three goalies? Its funny you bring up Edmonton as a goalie grave yard because I kinda see Dallas in the same way. We seem to blame the goalie much more than the D or the forwards not helping when those guys have more to do with the puck getting to the goal than the goalie. The goalie can not control the type of chances he faces. Yes, Kari let in a lot of soft goals but he also allow a lot of legitimate ones that other teams don't even allow to develop. If we fix the defense and the forwards commit to back checking our goalies will be just fine, IMO. Does that mean they can lead us to a cup? Probably not, but they should be good enough to get us into the playoffs and win a division, IMO.

beeker16

Jun 19, 2003
Another average goalie isn't going to help. Then the Stars are just Flyers-West.
Agree with fixing the D otherwise you need an elite goalie to keep on stealing games and covering for them.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Ruff doing some good ol' fashioned line juggling before the season starts, potentially looking at specific matchups.

“There’s a couple things I am looking at, some of it is matchups for Thursday night (against Pittsburgh),†coach Lindy Ruff said. “Some of it is where players played and how they played at the end of last year. Some of it is distributing some of our grit amongst the lines. I want to see that because it might be important. A couple days in practice to see how that looks will be a good thing for us.â€

Here are how the lines looked today:

Benn-Eakin-Seguin
Nuke-Spezza-Sharp
Moen-Fiddler-Eaves
Roussel-Janmark-Hemsky/Sceviour

Goligoski-Klingberg
Oduya-Demers
Jokipakka-Benn
Nemeth-Oleksiak

Niemi
Lehtonen

Source: http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781931&navid=DL|DAL|home

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Ruff doing some good ol' fashioned line juggling before the season starts, potentially looking at specific matchups.

Here are how the lines looked today:

Benn-Eakin-Seguin
Nuke-Spezza-Sharp
Moen-Fiddler-Eaves
Roussel-Janmark-Hemsky/Sceviour

Goligoski-Klingberg
Oduya-Demers
Jokipakka-Benn
Nemeth-Oleksiak

Niemi
Lehtonen

Source: http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781931&navid=DL|DAL|home

I feel like the third and fourth lines should be swapped. I wonder how much of a priority Janmark playing center is to the organization, and if they view him as a potential top 9 center (seems likely).

If he can play defense, perhaps he even replaces Eakin and he gets moved along with a defender for an upgrade later this season. Could give us some assets to play around with.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Ruff mentioned that he wants to start Janmark out as a Center, it's his natural position and is apparently more comfortable playing it, but also said that he was a versatile player and could potentially move up and down the lineup. I'm pulling for this kid and hope he can take the job and run with it. It never hurts to have too many assets at your disposal.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I feel like the third and fourth lines should be swapped. I wonder how much of a priority Janmark playing center is to the organization, and if they view him as a potential top 9 center (seems likely).

If he can play defense, perhaps he even replaces Eakin and he gets moved along with a defender for an upgrade later this season. Could give us some assets to play around with.

Yes. Eakin + Oleksiak/Jokipakka/JBenn/Nemeth could net us a nice return and free up some cap space for a trade deadline add.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Is eakin going to stay on the top line all season? During the preseason I thought it was sharp seguin benn all the time but now eakin seems to have taken over?

LT

Jul 23, 2010
As I said in the GDT, it probably depends on how Janmark plays. So as of now, I think its safe to say that he will stay there.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Any reason Cole Ully isn't playing for Texas?

He can't play defense because he's never had to before?

Most likely, they want to force feed Dickinson and Elie big minutes in the top 6 and roll with checkers on the 3rd and 4th line. Ully is not exactly suited for that kind of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad