2015-16 Line-up discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
My biggest fear with RC is going back to being unable to develop lower level forward talent. He wasn't very good with a peg that didn't precisely for one of his holes. BB wasn't typically as good at getting the best from Getzlaf and Perry, but he did a much better job finding ways for the bottom 6 players to actually produce. Cogliano is probably the guy who comes to mind the most, and has as much as said he credits BB for helping his game mature.

Agreed. Bruce's best attribute imo was that he found the role that was best suited for players. Cogs is a great example.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm always happy with how Murray reacts during the season. I'm usually never happy with what he does during the summer (RFA contracts notwithstanding - he's a savant). So far though, he's batting 1.000.

That's more or less exactly how I feel too. The problem I have is that his moves during the season are often fixing problems he creates during the off-season. It's tough to make progress that way. Not to mention the cost in assets, to get the team back to where it should be. Bleh.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't really expect RC to be different. What I'm hoping for is that he has mellowed a bit, and has learned a bit from his experience to the point where he's a bit smarter as a coach. That's my hope. He'll still be Carlyle, for better and for worse.

To me, we were never going to upgrade outright from Boudreau. Carlyle will be better in some areas, but he'll be worse in others. Personally, I'm expecting him to be worse in more areas than better, based on what we've seen from him before. But Boudreau is gone, and the team needed a change. Carlyle is that.

I'm curious to see what he does. His first season here, he had a Scott Niedermayer playing damn near Hart level hockey, not to mention oodles of depth and talent up front. And a clutch goalie in Giguere. By the time the playoffs rolled around, that team was pretty damn good. He needs to show that he can put together a good system that gets the most out of this team. And not just in the regular season.

I also think the "RC love goon" thought/joke is completely overstated. You look at some of the lower line guys he favored here over the years, and while not soft, weren't really these paragons of toughness. Pahlsson, Niedermayer, Marchant, Drew Miller, all guys who are more hard working than anything else.

He also loved giving chances to undersized guys who weren't really tough at all. McDonald, Shannon, Ebbett, Christensen, Sexton. That's something that really gets overlooked when it comes to him IMO.

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
A sleeper to make the roster is Kase, watching him in SD he is fun to watch

I felt bad for the dude watching him get destroyed every other game. He is not great at avoiding contact lol.

Great stick handler though and a pretty solid shot for a guy his size.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
My biggest fear with RC is going back to being unable to develop lower level forward talent. He wasn't very good with a peg that didn't precisely fit one of his holes. BB wasn't typically as good at getting the best from Getzlaf and Perry, but he did a much better job finding ways for the bottom 6 players to actually produce. Cogliano is probably the guy who comes to mind the most, and has as much as said he credits BB for helping his game mature.

This is my worry as well.

I'm always happy with how Murray reacts during the season. I'm usually never happy with what he does during the summer (RFA contracts notwithstanding - he's a savant). So far though, he's batting 1.000.

Feel pretty much the same.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
3 Round Mock Redux starts drafting today and still missing an owner for your team...if anyone's interested comment on it or pm me please!!!

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Kase isn't even undersized anymore, he's grown a lot since we drafted him. Maybe he's slightly below average, but still not a huge concern if you ask me. Definitely needs to keep his head up, though.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Kase isn't even undersized anymore, he's grown a lot since we drafted him. Maybe he's slightly below average, but still not a huge concern if you ask me. Definitely needs to keep his head up, though.

Yea According to http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=169670 Ondrej Kase is Height 6.00 -- Weight 180

That is fine when it comes to size.

I would still be surprised if he makes the team this coming season regardless of size.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
180 pounds is small for someone 6 feet tall. I'm 5 foot 8 160 and would get creamed in the NHL (on size alone). I think he needs another 10 pounds

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
180 pounds is small for someone 6 feet tall. I'm 5 foot 8 160 and would get creamed in the NHL (on size alone). I think he needs another 10 pounds

His size doesn't concern me that much, what is concerning though is his lack of "awareness" on ice. He needs to stay in the AHL and learn how to take hits properly. He had his bell rung a couple of times last season, his head can't take that many bumps during one season.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I wonder if Caryle will use Kesler in a more offensive role, or defensive role like BB did.

X -Getzlaf-Silfverberg
Rakell-Kesler-Perry
Cogliano- X -
Garbutt-Wagner-Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad