League News: 2015-16 Around the League VII (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Long tenured executive fires coach who turned team around after execfailed to put together a competitive team...feel like I've seen this before

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Not that it's a total surprise...

Anaheim DucksVerified account
‏@AnaheimDucks
#NHLDucks have relieved Head Coach Bruce Boudreau of his duties, Executive Vice President/GM Bob Murray announced.

He's part of the problem but the lack of leadership over the last 4 yrs, failing in game 7's (and some 6's)...some of that falls on players, esp those in your core group and the captain.
And that's something Murray will have to make changes to as well.
I didn't realize the Ducks had an internal cap. I find it hard to blame the coach so much when they're leaving 6.9 million on the table. Preds have 9.3 million on the table, but still have an issue firing a coach for not getting over the hump when there is cash for significant upgrades.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Long tenured executive fires coach who turned team around after execfailed to put together a competitive team...feel like I've seen this before

I dunno if Murray is such a bad GM. He's no McPhee, at least.

But I think their once-vaunted core definitely needs a shake-up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It doesn't help that they're a budget team with a top-heavy forward roster but no elite players on defense or in net. Still, the results Boudreau put up in Anaheim are basically what I come to expect from his teams...they overachieve in the regular season and then when adversity strikes in the playoffs they're cooked. He'd be a great fit to take over the eventual Las Vegas expansion team but there's no management team set up yet unfortunately.

Ottawa seems the most logical landing spot. Colorado could use him but he's better suited for success back in the East.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
It doesn't help that they're a budget team with a top-heavy forward roster but no elite players on defense or in net. Still, the results Boudreau put up in Anaheim are basically what I come to expect from his teams...they overachieve in the regular season and then when adversity strikes in the playoffs they're cooked. He'd be a great fit to take over the eventual Las Vegas expansion team but there's no management team set up yet unfortunately.

Ottawa seems the most logical landing spot. Colorado could use him but he's better suited for success back in the East.
He made it to the conference finals and the 2nd round once correct? Wouldn't say that is bad. He's a puck bounce or two away from 4 years of 2nd round plus.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

With the offensive talent they have, Colorado would be a fun team to watch with BB in charge. :)

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
If the rumored expansion guidelines are in fact used this off-season, gotta think the Caps are losing one of Orlov, Schmidt, or most likely Grubauer.

I'd be stunned if they had an expansion this off-season.

2017 is a better bet.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, it wouldn't be until the year. The way things are going I'm not sure the Caps will keep and pay Orlov arbitration rate this summer anyway. Schmidt is cheap for another year at least but we'll see if he gets it together to be a legit depth piece.

The apparent mandatory protection of NMC players makes it pretty interesting. How does Chicago expose enough salary with all of their NMCs without exposing Anisimov or Teravainen? Or will they approach a NMC core player in order to restructure before then?

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Yeah, it wouldn't be until the year. The way things are going I'm not sure the Caps will keep and pay Orlov arbitration rate this summer anyway. Schmidt is cheap for another year at least but we'll see if he gets it together to be a legit depth piece.

The apparent mandatory protection of NMC players makes it pretty interesting. How does Chicago expose enough salary with all of their NMCs without exposing Anisimov or Teravainen? Or will they approach a NMC core player in order to restructure before then?

I hope Chicago gets screwed by the expansion draft. Nobody is going to feel bad for them.

I do feel bad for Columbus – Dubinsky, Foligno, Clarkson, Hartnell, Tyutin all have NMCs :laugh:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
He made it to the conference finals and the 2nd round once correct? Wouldn't say that is bad. He's a puck bounce or two away from 4 years of 2nd round plus.

You can read more in the main board thread but many people pointed out how Quennville didn't have playoff success until he went to the Hawks and how Babcock didn't have great playoff records either yet they are pointed to as some of the best coaches in hockey.

Bruce took the Hawks to game 7 last season and the Kings to a game 7 the year before and both teams end up winning the cup. He definitely will land on his feet somewhere, I just hope it isn't in Ottawa because of their internal budget and the revolving door of coaches.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think there's any surprise the two most dogged, frenetic teams in the West are likely to battle it out in Dallas and San Jose. It's just one game and all but neither of their opponents can keep up IMO. Those two presented issues for Washington in the regular season and they've impressively maintained a very quality pace.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Ward is money in the playoffs. I wish we would've kept him but we had Laich instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad