League News: 2015-16 Around the League VII (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe fans weren't vocal because they couldn't wrap their brain around the potential brackets, and how easy it is for teams to avoid a tough bracket. Did everyone know but me? I figured - how they can screw up playoff seedings and didn't think twice about it. For as long as the RS is, it must reward the top team more than it did.

I prefer the first round be all divisional matchups. But then I see NY losing to avoid Pitt and the bracket with the 1 seed, and getting Florida and old man Jagr, and clearly consensus by all an easier path to the finals. That right there is what sucks.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
If you're going to go down, go down swinging. He has poor demeanor for a leader. Sure, there's a degree of helplessness to coaching and it's tense but he needs to channel that more positively. He needs to spur guys on from the start rather than being so tied up into knots.

Yeah the whole arrogant French-Canadian chin skyward Petit General model makes a lot more sense than the it's-all-going-to-hell- my-face-is-going-to-burst-I'm-so-tense approach from Gabby

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
the problem with this format is that after a while it gets tired. you play the same teams every year and you get these situations were the blues and hawks are playing in the first round all the time when that could legit be a conference final. at some point it will become too tired and get changed again.

Maybe so. Is this what you said when they first went to it or were you happy with the change then? Again, maybe I'm not remembering things correctly but I believe this change was pretty much universally applauded around here when it came around. But now, not coincidentally when the Caps may be getting the short straw, many have a number of issues with it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think that really matters if the system is found to be bad. Do you think the NHL anticipated the flaws in the system and just let it ride anyway? Or did they also have less than full information about how it would actually work? Being a fan of a team that gets screwed by a system may make you among the first to complain but it doesn't mean you're wrong, or that you could've accurately forseen a future the designers of the system hadn't even considered.

Found to be bad? This was the same system that was used for forever. The 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's were played with this system for the most part. If you are even remotely a long time fan, which I know you are, you knew the flaws in this system when it was announced. Did you you say something then or is it just now that you have an issue?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought it was going to be like the old division matchups. Patrick division battle royal, eventually faced the Adams winner.

That way, teams can construct themselves to get out of their division. Rivalry type games are played all throughout the year.

Now, its a crapshoot of who you may play in round 1, and what style and team makeup is needed to advance. The divisions now are largely for show only, oh and the bizarre bracket building. Fans applauded the move because our last division was a joke and all its games were as boring as could be.

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
The Caps played a total of 30 games against Divisional teams and 24 games against other teams in the Eastern Conference. The League may have acknowledged this minor distinction in games played by providing for two wild cards based on the conference-wide table after the top three in each Division get in.

This hybrid system leads to shenanigans like the Isles flopping so they could switch Divisions. Now that the potential for such behavior has been actualized, it would be nonsensical to continue a system that jeopardizes the integrity of the playoffs. Either move to a completely divisional structure that produces four Division Champions, a conference-wide system with 1-8 seeding, or a league-wide 1-16 seeding. The latter makes a fair amount of sense, because Eastern teams also played 28 matches against the West during the regular season. A league-wide system would negate some of the advantages that Eastern teams have due to generally shorter travel prior to the SCF (Nashville<-->Anaheim vs. Philadelphia<-->DC being an example of possible imbalance).

Depending on the format, a re-seeding after each round should help to ensure that the "better" teams based on regular season results are more likely to meet in later rounds, instead of facing one another and the potential for being eliminated in earlier rounds. The playoff structure should reflect a recognition of the value/importance of regular season results.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's shenanigans and ENG nailed it. ENG with the ENG and final nail in the coffin on the discussion.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Found to be bad? This was the same system that was used for forever. The 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's were played with this system for the most part. If you are even remotely a long time fan, which I know you are, you knew the flaws in this system when it was announced. Did you you say something then or is it just now that you have an issue?

Did you read the post you replied to? It shouldn't matter. The league didn't forsee these issues that fans now recognize following implementation. I'm pretty sure the system has received complaints from fans of many different teams. But like most things, a problem isn't apparent enough to be expressed until one has direct experience with it, so the loudest complaints will come from us. Next year it will be someone else.

Also, the NHL playoff format has changed probably more than any other major sport and has been wildly different from the current system over the years you mentioned:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25433

Where do you see the current top 3 divisional teams qualify plus 2 conference wild cards system we have now in that list? It's not as simple as claiming things used to be this way, then asking why complain now. They weren't.

Jun 15, 2007
Someone on the Ducks board said Getzlaf has more brains than hair. :laugh:

I took sporadic breaks from HF between '11-'15. Did the Ovechkin hate ever go that high? Calling him washed up and untradeable sure, but never outright insults right?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I feel kind of bad for Bruce, but feel like it would really sting if he runned and gunned to a cup, and it wasn't us. I feel like the style he tried is great for the league; ratings and overall entertainment, and wish it was more successful in the loffs. Sorry Bruce, we need a cup more than you do.

PURE SPECULATION: one thing that I suspect may hurt his teams, is that he does not project a confidence in his team. He seems like a heart on his sleeve guy, and think the players inherit traits from their coach. They see him falling apart (read: red face), but may need him to more stoic and strong. Rooted perhaps in him annually yanking his starter G early in a series, once a little diversity hits. The all year uncontested #1 is knowing he will be yanked, fulfills his own destiny.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Honestly were you vocal about this when it was first announced that this was the way it was a few years ago or have you just decided you feel this way now that you feel your team is getting screwed?

Also the regular season is also more division based so do you have issues there also? IMO if you are going to have divisions then the way they do it now makes a decent amount of sense. I might make a tweak or two but that is it. Some years one division will be stronger than the other but so what. Over time it will most likely even out. If you are going to do it based on conference points for fairness then you have to do away with the division's IMO or you are just moving the unfairness part to the regular season in those years when division quality isn't all that even.

I didn't think it was any better than how they had it last time, which was similar to the NFL. I'm not a fan of putting emphasis on divisions for postseason standings.

The NBA has divisions and uses 1-8. Not sure why it can't work in the NHL.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Brutal. 7GP, 0G, 4A, -7 (worst on the team). Imagine if Ovie sported those numbers in the playoffs, he'd be killed in the media. But everyone will blame Bruce for this, I bet Perry doesn't get his.
Perry had an insanely dumb Goalie Interference while the Ducks were on the PP. It was the same game where people were ripping on BB due to his comments about player. Can you really blame BB when your star player runs into the goalie when no one is pressuring him…

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Perry had an insanely dumb Goalie Interference while the Ducks were on the PP. It was the same game where people were ripping on BB due to his comments about player. Can you really blame BB when your star player runs into the goalie when no one is pressuring him…

Yes, I think so, if there's a pattern of under-performance or stupid plays. Pro athletes are still people who make mistakes and need motivation or guidance. That's what a coach is paid to do. Ask any of the top sports psychologists who are getting rich right now if being a professional athlete automatically makes you competent self-motivator who can maximize performance all the time.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I didn't think it was any better than how they had it last time, which was similar to the NFL. I'm not a fan of putting emphasis on divisions for postseason standings.

The NBA has divisions and uses 1-8. Not sure why it can't work in the NHL.

The NBA playoffs blow IMO. The higher seeds pretty much never ever ever ever lose in the early rounds. What is fun about that? And I'm not a huge fan of 10-6 NFL teams missing the playoffs while 8-8 division winners make it and get a home game either but that is the way it is and nobody every really says too much about it.

Anything can 'work' for the most part. What the NHL has now works IMO just fine. I like the divisional emphasis and have no issues with one being stronger than the other. Others disagree apparently because they don't feel it is fair. Well if fairness is the biggest thing then not playing all the teams in your conference, the ones you are fighting for playoff spots/position with, a relatively equal amount of times is not fair IMO. Heck one conference having 14 teams while the other has 16 is not in anyway fair.

I'm good knowing that if the Caps make the playoffs they are most likely facing divisional teams for a couple rounds. And I am thanking the almighty we don't have to deal with playing in the wonderful South Least division any longer.

To each his own I guess though and I get your point. It just doesn't bother me I guess.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Someone on the Ducks board said Getzlaf has more brains than hair. :laugh:

I took sporadic breaks from HF between '11-'15. Did the Ovechkin hate ever go that high? Calling him washed up and untradeable sure, but never outright insults right?

No, not that high. People here on HF Caps were saying that Ovi was done/washed up/has been but they never insulted him personally. At worst, they were just calling him a loser. In general, people felt sorry for Ovi and the Caps as our window of contention appeared to be shut.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Not that it's a total surprise...

Anaheim DucksVerified account
‏@AnaheimDucks
#NHLDucks have relieved Head Coach Bruce Boudreau of his duties, Executive Vice President/GM Bob Murray announced.

He's part of the problem but the lack of leadership over the last 4 yrs, failing in game 7's (and some 6's)...some of that falls on players, esp those in your core group and the captain. Some players , elite included, just don't have that mental wherewithall in the SC playoffs...not something you can coach to teach, you either have it or you don't. Historically , some of their top players fail consistently when the pressure it at the highest level.
And that's something Murray will have to make changes to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad