League News: 2015-16 Around the League V (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
What implications if any does it have on Kuznetsov's next contract in people's opinion?

I figured that's what you were driving at.

Kuznetsov is gonna get paid. Unless he doesn't want to. Which would be outstanding.

Would anyone be opposed to going 8 years on Kuznetsov? He's gotta be the post Ovechkin building block.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it's a lock that Kuznetsov winds up making $6M+. Barkov's final season is $7.75M and the two UFA years combined average $6.25M so maybe there's some hope there. You'd think at the very least Backstrom's contract would be used as the ceiling. Something around $6.5M seems like it could be fair depending on the amount of term involved.

To me it's the Carlson and Alzner contracts that are much tougher given UFA status and general craziness surrounding defensemen. Getting them signed to discounts will be important. Not that Alzner should command high dollars but if they let it play out I'm sure the market would be willing to do something wildly inflated. Extensions need to start becoming a top priority to get done early, probably beginning with Johansson.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think it's a lock that Kuznetsov winds up making $6M+. Barkov's final season is $7.75M and the two UFA years combined average $6.25M so maybe there's some hope there. You'd think at the very least Backstrom's contract would be used as the ceiling. Something around $6.5M seems like it could be fair depending on the amount of term involved.

I don't know. My immediate thoughts when I saw Barkov's deal was if he is worth a cap hit of $5.9 mil over 6 years then what will Kuznetsov get? And it is a heck of a lot more than a cap hit of $6.5mil IMO...

I'm good with the idea of an 8 year deal as BCF suggested but my guess is that is at something around a $7.5 mil cap hit.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kuznetsov is going to get $7.5M+ easily and he deserves it, anything less and it's a steal. He's 4th in the league in points per game and will still be in his prime at the end of his current deal. He is an elite talent.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't know. My immediate thoughts when I saw Barkov's deal was if he is worth a cap hit of $5.9 mil over 6 years then what will Kuznetsov get? And it is a heck of a lot more than a cap hit of $6.5mil IMO...

I'm good with the idea of an 8 year deal as BCF suggested but my guess is that is at something around a $7.5 mil cap hit.
Sure but there's a lot more to playing center than points alone. Points get players paid mind you but Barkov's a horse.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kuznetsov is going to get $7.5M+ easily and he deserves it, anything less and it's a steal. He's 4th in the league in points per game and will still be in his prime at the end of his current deal. He is an elite talent.

This. I'd give Kuzy the same contract Tarasenko got last year.

Jun 15, 2007

Backstrom's contract was signed too long ago to be of any relevance.

If we can get Kuz signed for under 7.5m it will be a coup. Consider Voracek's contract.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Blackhawks fans get so mad when someone suggests the Caps are the better team this year. It's actually pretty funny.

PB12 why would you create that thread on the main boards? :laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Blackhawks fans get so mad when someone suggests the Caps are the better team this year. It's actually pretty funny.

PB12 why would you create that thread on the main boards? :laugh:

Yeah it wasn't a good idea to go fish for compliments. I agree with you, some Hawks fans have an inflated ego, they can't accept the fact that we're contending for the Cup just like they are.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Kuznetsov won't get Tarasenko contract-like.

Tarasenko is 40-40 type of player, those are more valuable than either goalscorers or playmakers.

Plus Kuz is 3rd option on Caps in terms of attention from opposition (and that won't change for some time) while Tarasenko is 1st and that counts heavily in negotiating contract too.

Kuznetsov won't get more money than Backstrom. Let me rephrase that, as long as Kuznetsov isn't clearly better than Backstrom (he isn't even arguably yet) he shouldn't get more money that Backstrom and probably won't.

McPhee really did huge favour for this franchise with setting great Backstrom contract as benchmark for all future star forwards on Caps.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kuznetsov won't get Tarasenko contract-like.

Tarasenko is 40-40 type of player, those are more valuable than either goalscorers or playmakers.

Plus Kuz is 3rd option on Caps in terms of attention from opposition (and that won't change for some time) while Tarasenko is 1st and that counts heavily in negotiating contract too.

Kuznetsov won't get more money than Backstrom. Let me rephrase that, as long as Kuznetsov isn't clearly better than Backstrom (he isn't even arguably yet) he shouldn't get more money that Backstrom and probably won't.

McPhee really did huge favour for this franchise with setting great Backstrom contract as benchmark for all future star forwards on Caps.

With all other things equal, I'd rather have a 50-30 player than a 40-40. Goals are more significant to me than assists. Also, Backstrom's contract was signed a long time ago under the old CBA when the cap was lower.

Kuzy is going to get $7M, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm holding out hope that somehow GMBM can convince Alzner into a Vlasic-like contract, rather than him getting paid in the same bracket as Orpik.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm holding out hope that somehow GMBM can convince Alzner into a Vlasic-like contract, rather than him getting paid in the same bracket as Orpik.

I can't see Alzner's agent asking for that kind of contract. There are many more comparables towards ~4m as opposed to ~5.5m. Vlasic, Tanev and McDonagh are each similar type of players and they are all around that ~4.5m range. That seems reasonable. Hopefully atleast 5 years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I can't see Alzner's agent asking for that kind of contract. There are many more comparables towards ~4m as opposed to ~5.5m. Vlasic, Tanev and McDonagh are each similar type of players and they are all around that ~4.5m range. That seems reasonable. Hopefully atleast 5 years.

Alzner is 27, 28 before next season. This is his career deal coming up after next year. I see them asking for A LOT. Anything less than 4.75 per will be a nice surprise IMO. Dude is an iron man and is showing a little late bloomer offensive skill.

I'd offer him 5/6 years, $24/29 mil at the first opportunity I got to extend him.

Front load the first two years salary to get him his money in his pocket a little sooner, and he's only 34/35 at the end of his deal, could still get a nice 2-4 year deal to close out his career.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
With all other things equal, I'd rather have a 50-30 player than a 40-40. Goals are more significant to me than assists. Also, Backstrom's contract was signed a long time ago under the old CBA when the cap was lower.

money is money. how many Caps players make as much or more than 19? lots of contracts have been signed since Backstrom signed his.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
money is money. how many Caps players make as much or more than 19? lots of contracts have been signed since Backstrom signed his.

To be fair they haven't had a top young talent come across since then, who warranted a big career like deal. Kuzy is the best young forward to come out since Backstrom.

You're suggesting the Caps have an artificial "no higher than 19" rule except for 8?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
To be fair they haven't had a top young talent come across since then, who warranted a big career like deal. Kuzy is the best young forward to come out since Backstrom.

You're suggesting the Caps have an artificial "no higher than 19" rule except for 8?

Artificial? Define that? Backstrom is no worse than the 2nd best skater on the team. Unless and until someone is better, I doubt they pay someone more.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Just going off of memory so I could certainly be wrong but I believe GMGM referenced such a rule during the Green extension.

edit: but as trick9 notes below, a lot has changed since 2012

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Artificial? Define that? Backstrom is no worse than the 2nd best skater on the team. Unless and until someone is better, I doubt they pay someone more.

Cap has changed.

'hawks pay Toews and Kane twice as much money as they pay to Duncan Keith. After this year even Seabrook makes about 20% more than him. Kings pay 30% more to Kopitar even though Doughty is their best player. I can keep going with these examples if you'd like. Agents ask for more money because they have comparable contracts to do so now.

Jun 15, 2007
Seriously there's no way any agent worth his salt will be swayed by Backstrom as a comparable. That contract was signed when the cap was 57 million.

Not only that but Backstrom is underpaid. No one wants to be underpaid.

I just hope they don't rush the contract. We have his RFA rights so we can wait until the end of next year. Philly rushed the Voracek contract and overpaid. If they started negotiating with him now he'd have been signed for a more reasonable amount.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Kopitar - UFA, Forward
Doughty - RFA, Defencemen

Keith - 13 year, cap circumventing contract, outlier (probably best contract in NHL)

40-40 is better than 50-30 or 30-50. (in vacuum)

Ov is better because of greater on-ice impact and physicality\durability aspect

Kuznetsov will get contract 0.5 north of Holtby cap hit. As long as he doesn't separate himself from Backstrom.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

That contract was signed in 2010, which is a long time ago now. It was under the previous CBA (you can't sign 10 year contracts now, the limit is 8). The cap has gone way up since 2010 and you have to take inflation into account.

Ovechkin signed a 13 year, $124M ($9.5M AAV) contract back in 2008. Suppose we could use a time machine and replace our current 30 year old Ovi with a 23 year old Ovi. What contract would he get in 2016?

Answer: 8 years, $112M ($14M AAV).

Why? First, he'd be far and away the best player in the world for at least a decade and $14M is close to the max player contract. If guys like Toews make $10.5M, a peak Ovechkin makes $14M easily.

Now, back to Kuznetsov. If we sent him in that same time machine back to 2010, then I agree, he would get less than Backstrom. See my point ?

Kopitar - UFA, Forward
Doughty - RFA, Defencemen

Keith - 13 year, cap circumventing contract, outlier (probably best contract in NHL)

40-40 is better than 50-30 or 30-50. (in vacuum)

Ov is better because of greater on-ice impact and physicality\durability aspect

Kuznetsov will get contract 0.5 north of Holtby cap hit. As long as he doesn't separate himself from Backstrom.

How is 40-40 better than 50-30? Goals are more desirable than assists. A few players get 50 assists every year, only one player gets 50 goals. The whole argument for Ovechkin being the best forward in the world (at least last year) is that he brought more to the table than any other forward because of what you mentioned and the 50 goals.

Tarasenko is a little bit better than Kuzy and managed to get $7.5M. Granted, he is the Blues' franchise player whereas Kuzy is only one of the most important players on the team. It's not unreasonable to sign Kuzy to a 8 year $56M contract. We will have him at an affordable price for most of his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad