League News: 2015-16 Around the League V (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I read one GDT of almost every team since the Caps last played, and it helped me appreciate our current position. It's all doom and gloom everywhere (even on the Hawks board). It seems to me like everyone is questioning their chances to make the playoffs/win the Cup. Meanwhile, we have almost no complaints here.

Good time to be a Caps fan.

lol no complaints? theres doom and gloom here after one loss :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Could Guy Boucher finally find a landing spot when Therrien gets canned (i.e., soon)?

Any other francophone coaches available?

They could hire Boucher or Sylvain Lefebvre (IceCaps coach). Therrien won't get canned until the offseason at least, unless Bergevin himself gets the boot. Bergevin said Therrien's job was secure for now.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I read one GDT of almost every team since the Caps last played, and it helped me appreciate our current position. It's all doom and gloom everywhere (even on the Hawks board). It seems to me like everyone is questioning their chances to make the playoffs/win the Cup. Meanwhile, we have almost no complaints here.

Good time to be a Caps fan.

Houston, we got #7 Orpik instead of real D in #2 position. Don't drink kool aid too much.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Not going well for the Habs. Back-to-back losses to the worst team in the NHL, now Pacioretty injured too and Subban is getting booed at the Bell Centre.

Meanwhile, looking at the Point % list now, it's 7 of the top-9 in this draft going to the Canadian teams. Yikes.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
7 games for Ovechkin in hand to catch Kane in goals (2 behind) and Kuznetsov to catch him in assists (10 behind).

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I do not understand the thinking of the NHL brass. Here we are in a time when NFL football goes into hibernation for two weeks before the Super Bowl, and nothing of consequence is happening in either the NBA or NCAA basketball, and it's dead-of-winter hockey weather - and yet, after tonight, there won't be another NHL game for 6 days, and the only hockey we'll see is a silly, meaningless 3 on 3 tournament which some guys will probably play drunk (or near-drunk).

No doubt my confoundment is exacerbated by the lack of a Caps game for a week, but does the CBA really require that the league go 6 days without real hockey in the dead of winter? And if it does, why does the league brass agree to that? If we're going to have an all-star game - itself a dubious proposition - it should be 3 days off at most. Or better yet, rotate 4 or 6 teams out of the all-star game every year, and have them play showcase games the day before, the day after, and maybe the evening of the ASG. In a business that depends on keeping people's attention, it's just mind-boggingly dumb to go dark on your customers for this long.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I do not understand the thinking of the NHL brass. Here we are in a time when NFL football goes into hibernation for two weeks before the Super Bowl, and nothing of consequence is happening in either the NBA or NCAA basketball, and it's dead-of-winter hockey weather - and yet, after tonight, there won't be another NHL game for 6 days, and the only hockey we'll see is a silly, meaningless 3 on 3 tournament which some guys will probably play drunk (or near-drunk).

No doubt my confoundment is exacerbated by the lack of a Caps game for a week, but does the CBA really require that the league go 6 days without real hockey in the dead of winter? And if it does, why does the league brass agree to that? If we're going to have an all-star game - itself a dubious proposition - it should be 3 days off at most. Or better yet, rotate 4 or 6 teams out of the all-star game every year, and have them play showcase games the day before, the day after, and maybe the evening of the ASG. In a business that depends on keeping people's attention, it's just mind-boggingly dumb to go dark on your customers for this long.

They should put the ASG between Christmas and the Winter Classic, or simply get rid of it altogether. The Caps playing 2 games in 2 weeks is ridiculous, it feels like it was an eternity since the last Caps game.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, pretty fantastic contract I think. Slightly cheaper than RNH.

@goldieonice: Perhaps the most incredible stat for the #FlaPanthers , 25-8-2 when Barkov & Ekblad both play. They are just 19 & 20 years old. Wow.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Barkov is a stud. I think he compares very favorably to Backstrom.

Great contract. With him and Ekblad, they'll complete for a long time. This year isn't flash in the pan.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

the players negotiated a break that they can use to recharge. enough time to get out of town with the family. the players think its important

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Great deal for both sides. Propably around the value for the next 2 years (offensive numbers aren't that great but he's clearly their most important players, other players have said that too), and steal for the next 4 years from there if he keeps improving.

Barkov, on the other hand, gets to cash in as 26-year old UFA when that contract is done.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What implications if any does it have on Kuznetsov's next contract in people's opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad