2014 Winter Olympics Sucked. WOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
The substance found in NB's test is a LEGAL one. NB's level of it was just a tad too high!

He's been taking the same medicine for 7 years, gotten tested ~4 times/yr in the NHL and never been warned about it. It's a really common allergy-medicine sold by most pharmacies in the US.

The Medicine was cleared as OK by the IOC as long as the level didn't pass 150, NB's level was 190. The substance at that level isn't more performance enhancing then a cup of coffee. It's a ridiculous move by the IOC, because the same thing happened in Vancouver to Visnovsky (IIRC) pre-bronze game but has was just given a warning.

The test was also performed after the QF (wed) and should've at the most have been reported back at the most 48 hrs later, but NB was given notice two and a half hour before the final, which is two days later then promised.

A travesty for NB as a person, being painted out as a cheater because of a meaningless error.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What is he supposed to do? He wanted something for his allergies and it was cleared by the medical staff.

Hopefully review the list of banned substances for the stuff he knows he IS taking? Obviously you hope that Team Sweden's medical staff knows what guys are taking (as long as the players have disclosed it). It's the Olympics. Everyone knows there's absurdly high standards and minimal substances allowed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The substance found in NB's test is a LEGAL one. NB's level of it was just a tad too high!

He's been taking the same medicine for 7 years, gotten tested ~4 times/yr in the NHL and never been warned about it. It's a really common allergy-medicine sold by most pharmacies in the US.

The Medicine was cleared as OK by the IOC as long as the level didn't pass 150, NB's level was 190. The substance at that level isn't more performance enhancing then a cup of coffee. It's a ridiculous move by the IOC, because the same thing happened in Vancouver to Visnovsky (IIRC) pre-bronze game but has was just given a warning.

The test was also performed after the QF (wed) and should've at the most have been reported back at the most 48 hrs later, but NB was given notice two and a half hour before the final, which is two days later then promised.

A travesty for NB as a person, being painted out as a cheater because of a meaningless error.

By who? It certainly wasn't a meaningless error but to say he's trying to cheat is dumb IMO. I'm guessing you're referring to the main boards thread. It was a huge blunder to piss away (to date the biggest game of his career).

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
By who? It certainly wasn't a meaningless error but to say he's trying to cheat is dumb IMO. It was a huge blunder to piss away (to date the biggest game of his career).

Alright Neil.

The issue to me is minor A. Its happened before and he got a slap on the wrist, but massively B. You tell the dude when he's probably in the middle of warming up/suiting up for the game. They waited till the last possible second to rip something out of his hands, and you don't think he'd be salty?

If it was a day or 2 before hand that's one thing, within hours of the game? Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
BhKQjbtCYAA2u26.png

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Alright Neil.

The issue to me is minor A. Its happened before and he got a slap on the wrist, but massively B. You tell the dude when he's probably in the middle of warming up/suiting up for the game. They waited till the last possible second to rip something out of his hands, and you don't think he'd be salty?

If it was a day or 2 before hand that's one thing, within hours of the game? Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Certainly sucks to have it go down that way....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Hmm....just saw this post on the main boards thread. If accurate, how would you respond? Did he really just decide, "meh, let me take 3 times the amount (to get better quicker)"?

"According to the head of the Finnish Antidoping Agency that was quoted earlier in the thread, you'd have to take 3-4 times the recommended dosage to get that kind of test results. He also said that because the drug also contain antihistamine, you'd get drowsy after taking that many pills, which would negatively affect the athlete."

Liberati0n*

Wait, people are actually criticizing Backstrom for taking too much of a legal allergy medicine? :help:

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Hmm....just saw this post on the main boards thread. If accurate, how would you respond? Did he really just decide, "meh, let me take 3 times the amount (to get better quicker)"?

"According to the head of the Finnish Antidoping Agency that was quoted earlier in the thread, you'd have to take 3-4 times the recommended dosage to get that kind of test results. He also said that because the drug also contain antihistamine, you'd get drowsy after taking that many pills, which would negatively affect the athlete."

I'm not a doctor I'm just passing along what's been said in the Swedish media by officials from the Swedish team.
There's no exact science of how a dehydrated body would adjust those levels either. According to NB himself he's been taking one pill daily for seven years.
The error I was referring to is the grey zone that medicine is in. If it's deemed to be performance enhancing, why allow it at all? Force the athlete to change his/her medicine instead. And the way the IOC handled it is a disgrace!

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Wait, people are actually criticizing Backstrom for taking too much of a legal allergy medicine? :help:

They're criticizing him for taking an amount of a substance that would put him over the limit allowed by the IOC (which is a fact that he and the Swedish doctors should know), and then complaining about the IOC not allowing him to play.

IMO, sucks for him, but he should have known (or maybe did know).

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
They're criticizing him for taking an amount of a substance that would put him over the limit allowed by the IOC (which is a fact that he and the Swedish doctors should know), and then complaining about the IOC not allowing him to play.

IMO, sucks for him, but he should have known (or maybe did know).

Majority of professional leagues in the world don't even ban it.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Majority of professional leagues in the world don't even ban it.
I personally take that **** as well. We have drug tests at work but they don't ban me because of it. This is a mess and a rather sad story. The Swedish medical staff obviously screw up big time and Bäckström is taking the hit.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Well I guess you can't say the Caps' Olympians were not topics of conversation.

Nick taking Green leaves.

Ovie's alleged only under performer for Russia.

Marcus can't get out the country.

Erat scored a goal.

Carlson scored a goal.

Strange Olympics. Expected more from the US. Great efforts by Finland and Slovenia.

Congrats to the Canadians and Swedes.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
WTF is this in Finnish media there saying he could be a 2 year suspension max and that would cover over to NHL too? How the hell can that be possible if the substance isn't even banned in the NHL?

mirasane

Apr 5, 2006
What is he supposed to do? He wanted something for his allergies and it was cleared by the medical staff.

The medical director of Finnish anti-doping commitee was interviewed about Backstrom case. Here are the main points of this case known so far:
- The substance found from Backstrom was pseudoefedrine. It is commonly used in antihistamines that are used to treat allergies but it also works as a stimulant.
- In Backstrom's sample there was 190mg of pseudoefedrine when the highest allowed amount is 150mg
- The medical director said that the allowed limit (150mg) is set very high so that athletes with allergies can use their medication normally without exceeding the limit.
- To get you pseudoefedrin levels to 190mg you would have to overdose allergy medication 3-4 times more than what doctors tell you to take.
- Medical director said that if you take that much of that allergy medicine you would also get 3-4 times more of antihistamine which would have negative side effects. Because of that he believes that Backstrom hasn't taken allergy medication but instead just pseudoefedrin for the positive effects only. And that is why he thinks Backstrom should receive standard 2 year ban.

That ban however doesn't probably have effect in NHL. If I am correct pseudoefedrine isn't banned in the NHL. At least it hasn't been earlier as this article suggests: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1998/weekly/980202/nhlstory.html

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Daly has said nothing will happen.

Anyways 300mg of pseudoephedrine was given to NCAA division 1 runners. They ran 800m with a placebo and the pseudoephedrine, and the average of the group actually was 2:39.4 for both the pseudoephedrine and placebo.

There was also a study that showed that the pseudoephedrine negates the effects of caffeine. So its not even a good stimulant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad