Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Was craving some USA hockey today so i rewatched the entire USA Canada gold medal game. Got me really excited for next year. That team that someone posted loos really good. Definately going to be interesting to see how Galchenyuk fits into the mix.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
This has probably already been discussed before but who to start in net?

Quick?

Miller?

Both are top notch goaltenders but have gotten off to slow starts this season. Miller was a beast in the Vancouver games and was the tournament MVP. Quick is coming off a Stanley Cup winning season with the LA Kings and is also a few years younger than Miller.

Whoever is playing better at the time.

How serious is his injury? If he's done for the rest of this season then he'll probably still be rehabbing when Team USA goes to camp.

Sprained ankle I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I wouldn't say his stock has dropped at all. USAH brought him to the WCs in Finland/Sweden in May and to the WJC camp in August for a reason - he's the frontrunner right now and the USAH executives were vetting him.

Well the whole American connection with Torts and the Rags is what he meant I think. I personally think Bylsma is the front runner as well however my concern is that Orpik gets a starting spot which could possibly be a mistake.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well the whole American connection with Torts and the Rags is what he meant I think. I personally think Bylsma is the front runner as well however my concern is that Orpik gets a starting spot which could possibly be a mistake.

Not only Orpik but Martin if he keeps up his current level of play (he's been very good this year and would have made the last Olympic team if not for injury).

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
In my opinion it is still to early to tell, you can argue that there will be six goaltenders fighting for the starting spot in Quick, Miller, Anderson, Schneider, Howard, and Bishop.

But if I had to go with my instinct it would be Quick.

Can't see Bishop being a serious contender for a spot. And as good as Anderson's been this season, I think it's only a matter of time before he comes back down to Earth. I remember this happening a couple years ago in Colorado, when he had an amazing first half and then a pedestrian second half. I don't think he'll be in contention. But if he keeps up this pace then yes, he should be.

I think if Tim Thomas plays in the Worlds this year and plays well, he gets at least an invite to orientation camp. And if he gets off to a hot start next year, maybe he even gets a spot. Although I don't think I would use one on him. He's over 40 and just walked out on his Boston teammates, and political ideology aside, I think it would be awkward having someone who refused to attend the White House celebration because he doesn't like the President representing us at the Olympics.

I think Miller will be the starter. He has been much better this season than his numbers, his team is terrible and his defense is letting him down. When he brings his A-game and has a competent defense in front of him, I think he's the best goalie in the world. I say Miller and Quick will be our #1 and #2 and maybe you can alternate them during round-robin games and then take the hot hand in the first medal round game. Schnieder coming along only for the ride as the #3 but only dresses as the backup against Slovenia.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not only Orpik but Martin if he keeps up his current level of play (he's been very good this year and would have made the last Olympic team if not for injury).

Watching them play this year, Martin >> Orpik right now. Orpik's picked up his play a bit after sucking last year, but he's still trending downward, IMO.

If Martin keeps up his current level of play, I don't see how he doesn't make the team. A Suter-Martin pairing, for instance, could eat huge minutes if needed, as PM is at his best playing on the right side.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Watching them play this year, Martin >> Orpik right now. Orpik's picked up his play a bit after sucking last year, but he's still trending downward, IMO.

If Martin keeps up his current level of play, I don't see how he doesn't make the team. A Suter-Martin pairing, for instance, could eat huge minutes if needed, as PM is at his best playing on the right side.

Suter and Martin are very similar players. I would actually split them up and pair each of them with one of the freelancers (or someone physical). Maybe Suter w/Bogosian? Martin w/Faulk?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Can't see Bishop being a serious contender for a spot. And as good as Anderson's been this season, I think it's only a matter of time before he comes back down to Earth. I remember this happening a couple years ago in Colorado, when he had an amazing first half and then a pedestrian second half. I don't think he'll be in contention. But if he keeps up this pace then yes, he should be.

I think if Tim Thomas plays in the Worlds this year and plays well, he gets at least an invite to orientation camp. And if he gets off to a hot start next year, maybe he even gets a spot. Although I don't think I would use one on him. He's over 40 and just walked out on his Boston teammates, and political ideology aside, I think it would be awkward having someone who refused to attend the White House celebration because he doesn't like the President representing us at the Olympics.

I think Miller will be the starter. He has been much better this season than his numbers, his team is terrible and his defense is letting him down. When he brings his A-game and has a competent defense in front of him, I think he's the best goalie in the world. I say Miller and Quick will be our #1 and #2 and maybe you can alternate them during round-robin games and then take the hot hand in the first medal round game. Schnieder coming along only for the ride as the #3 but only dresses as the backup against Slovenia.

Anderson has been a streaky goalie for a while now. He had an awesome season for the Avs and had pretty much the greatest playoff game I have ever seen. Then he seemed to mope about not getting a contract extension, sucked horribly, and they trade him to Ottawa where he was awesome to finish the year, then sucked last year, or at least was mediocre and now he is back to being awesome again. You just never really know how he is going to play, but man, when he is on, watch out.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Suter and Martin are very similar players. I would actually split them up and pair each of them with one of the freelancers (or someone physical). Maybe Suter w/Bogosian? Martin w/Faulk?

It's a valid point. My pairing them together was more predicated on Martin playing better on his off-side, than he does on the left.

Though if you want that go-to shutdown pairing, as opposed to trying to find three relatively balanced pairings, I still think that's the best looking option, right now at least. And you can still pair somelike like McD with Faulk/Bogo/Shatt, or even JJ (he can play the right side, correct? Hard to gauge his D right now on a pourous CLB team) for a solid second pairing.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I was looking at the relative Corsi ratings for US defenders from last season.

Alex Goligoski 16
Dustin Byfuglien 13.1
Cam Fowler 9.2
Keith Yandle 8.1
Ryan Suter 7.3
Erik Johnson 7
Paul Martin 4.5
Kevin Shattenkirk 4.4
Ryan McDonaugh 3.5
Nick Leddy 1
Justin Faulk -1.7
Zach Bogosian -2.7
John Carlson -3.8
James Wisnewski -7.1
Brooks Orpik -8.9
Jack Johnson -11.8

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't say his stock has dropped at all. USAH brought him to the WCs in Finland/Sweden in May and to the WJC camp in August for a reason - he's the frontrunner right now and the USAH executives were vetting him.

I just remember hearing Pens fans were upset with Bylsma early on in the season and wanted him fired. I know USAH is high on Bylsma, but they're also oddly high on Scott Gordon (I kid). My reasoning for Torts is exactly what Cory Trevor was saying. The Rangers basically have two roster locks at this point. He knows Callahan (possible team captain) and McDonagh well and he was an assistant in 2010 so he knows all of those players - and we need every little advantage can get if we want gold in Sochi.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
I just remember hearing Pens fans were upset with Bylsma early on in the season and wanted him fired. I know USAH is high on Bylsma, but they're also oddly high on Scott Gordon (I kid). My reasoning for Torts is exactly what Cory Trevor was saying. The Rangers basically have two roster locks at this point. He knows Callahan (possible team captain) and McDonagh well and he was an assistant in 2010 so he knows all of those players - and we need every little advantage can get if we want gold in Sochi.

If Team USA plays the style that Torts has implemented in the Rangers, USA won't win a game. His style handcuffs skilled players and forces everyone to win battles in the corners instead of playing a free flowing game and allowing Team USA's skills to take over.

The thought of Phil Kessel or Patrick Kane trying to win battles in the corners makes me want to throw up.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

There are fans of every NHL team that want the coach fired. The fallback complaint for fans is always the coach or goalie. It's easier than understanding the bigger picture or hockey. Not saying Bylsma is the right fit but he's definitely a top choice. I'm not sure that USAH will care about those benefits as Torts will most likely be on the staff regardless and the benefits will exist regardless of his role.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
The real question is, does Seth Jones get an invite to camp and if he plays well next season, will they even consider him?

If Portland get upset early in the WHL playoffs I wouldn't be surprised if Jones found himself on the Team USA roster for the World Championships. Other than a completely godlike start in the NHL next year that'll probably be his best bet at earning an Olympic invite.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There are fans of every NHL team that want the coach fired. The fallback complaint for fans is always the coach or goalie. It's easier than understanding the bigger picture or hockey. Not saying Bylsma is the right fit but he's definitely a top choice. I'm not sure that USAH will care about those benefits as Torts will most likely be on the staff regardless and the benefits will exist regardless of his role.

Agreed. Coaches are convenient fall guys-especially for fans. The reality is (especially in the NHL) they get a longer leash. Bylsma is a good coach and is cleary being groomed by USA Hockey for international events. He's more than likely going to be the Olympic coach-and I'm fine with that.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
My only concern with the coaches is that I don't really know who I want even with Bylsma as the odds on favorite. To be honest, it wouldn't break my heart and i'd feel pretty confident with him behind the bench.

Anyone think Sacco maybe gets a look?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
My only concern with the coaches is that I don't really know who I want even with Bylsma as the odds on favorite. To be honest, it wouldn't break my heart and i'd feel pretty confident with him behind the bench.

Anyone think Sacco maybe gets a look?

As an Avs fan.............

:rant:

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
As an Avs fan.............

:rant:

Hahaha admittedly I don't watch a lot Avs games but I meant would Sacco be considered in any capacity, assistant coach or otherwise. Has he been that bad? Avs playesr aside, I feel like his name always comes up on the list of coaches that other coaches in the league respect. Could be off base here....

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Hahaha admittedly I don't watch a lot Avs games but I meant would Sacco be considered in any capacity, assistant coach or otherwise. Has he been that bad? Avs playesr aside, I feel like his name always comes up on the list of coaches that other coaches in the league respect. Could be off base here....

My comment was more of a joke than anything. Being a fan of the team I am obliged to blame everything wrong with it on Sacco.

In truth, I think he's a pretty average coach. Not spectacular or otherwise terrible.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Any off the radar guys with a shot at making the team? I remember Yandle almost did in 2010, and I didn't know who he was back then.

Interesting. I know there's going to be alot of players looking to slide on a reserve capacity but what about names that no one has said? Something really off the radar. Some names that come to mind are Goligoski, Mueller, Leddy, Kyle Palmieri. Tried to pick guys who have all competed in one capacity or another for USA Hockey.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Interesting. I know there's going to be alot of players looking to slide on a reserve capacity but what about names that no one has said? Something really off the radar. Some names that come to mind are Goligoski, Mueller, Leddy, Kyle Palmieri. Tried to pick guys who have all competed in one capacity or another for USA Hockey.

Any off the radar guys with a shot at making the team? I remember Yandle almost did in 2010, and I didn't know who he was back then.

I'm a big fan of Goligoski, and if I am going to pick two super off the radar prospects I'd throw out Brandon Saad (mentioned before by somebody here) and the uber dark horses...... Jason Zucker or Nick Bjugstad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad