Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyers28giroux

Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone else think that Galchenyuk could make this team?

I got to believe if he ends this season on a strong note and possibly has a good showing in the playoffs (which it looks like the Canadiens will get in), he should be in consideration for one of the final center spots probably competing against the likes of Stastny and Stepan.

Galchenyuk is one of our many future key players going forward in international play.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I got to believe if he ends this season on a strong note and possibly has a good showing in the playoffs (which it looks like the Canadiens will get in), he should be in consideration for one of the final center spots probably competing against the likes of Stastny and Stepan.

Galchenyuk is one of our many future key players going forward in international play.

It's gaining steam but he's going to really play at a level to even get a mention. It's the same argument that Canada had when they were debating Stamkos making it last go around.

He will have to be playing considerably better than one of the following:

Pavelski, Kesler, Stastny, Stepan, or Backes. I don't see that happening with the exception of maybe Stasty or Stepan. If Kesler's healthy he's a lock. That said, with his talents he's suited well for the international game and his play in the WJC shows that. However he's young, and I'm not exactly sold as together or not he should be involved. An invite, yes.

The real litmus test? The playoffs this year. If he can demonstrate what he's capable of I will not be surprised in the least if USA doesn't give him a serious look.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Cam Fowler is really coming into his own. I think he could make the team

I see a lot of talk about young puck moving dmen, but I havent seen much mention of arguably one of the smoothest skating young dmen in the game...who plays on the best team in the entire NHL, and is now maning the #1 unit on the power play....his name is Nick Leddy.

If Cam Fowler or Justin Faulk are anywhere near mention for this team, then Leddy has to be right there as well (I actually think he is ahead of them with the way he has played this year). This kid is developing into a stud and people arent really noticing it because of all the depth on the Hawks blue line.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yes but he needs to keep getting better.

I dont think he makes this team just yet. he has cooled off a bit over the past few weeks which is going to happen, but he has a bit to go before we really talk about him as a likely option making the team over players like Wheeler, Stepan, Oshie, Pominville, Wilson, etc. all those names are ahead of him imo right now...certainly can change next year, but I just dont see him ahead of his competition just yet.

definitely invite him and see how he looks, but I think there are better options right now...I would even go with Brandon Saad over him who gets almost no love as well. top 5 in rookie scoring, just on a tear and doing it without Hossa of late..kid is a beast, plays the game with all heart and hustle...makes ridiculous passes and always crashes the net. Saad is going to be a star in the next few years.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I see a lot of talk about young puck moving dmen, but I havent seen much mention of arguably one of the smoothest skating young dmen in the game...who plays on the best team in the entire NHL, and is now maning the #1 unit on the power play....his name is Nick Leddy.

If Cam Fowler or Justin Faulk are anywhere near mention for this team, then Leddy has to be right there as well (I actually think he is ahead of them with the way he has played this year). This kid is developing into a stud and people arent really noticing it because of all the depth on the Hawks blue line.

He's shown good progress this year. Certainly in the conversation.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I dont think he makes this team just yet. he has cooled off a bit over the past few weeks which is going to happen, but he has a bit to go before we really talk about him as a likely option making the team over players like Wheeler, Stepan, Oshie, Pominville, Wilson, etc. all those names are ahead of him imo right now...certainly can change next year, but I just dont see him ahead of his competition just yet.

definitely invite him and see how he looks, but I think there are better options right now...I would even go with Brandon Saad over him who gets almost no love as well. top 5 in rookie scoring, just on a tear and doing it without Hossa of late..kid is a beast, plays the game with all heart and hustle...makes ridiculous passes and always crashes the net. Saad is going to be a star in the next few years.

You just never know how a player takes the offseason. Remember a guy like stamkos was miserable his rookie year but then after an offseason of intense training he exploded. I certainly agree, he's not on yet, but that's why I said he has to keep improving.

Saad is certainly in the conversation.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
You just never know how a player takes the offseason. Remember a guy like stamkos was miserable his rookie year but then after an offseason of intense training he exploded. I certainly agree, he's not on yet, but that's why I said he has to keep improving.

This is why I'd like to see Saad play with Kane to see how the would fair together. Americans don't really have the option of seeing situations like the Marleau Thornton Heatley line or Stamkos MSL. Yes there is the possibilty of Oshie and Backes but they rarely if ever play together. If they were to have good chemistry and Saad produced, it would be make things a bit more interesting. Unfortunately Saad's been playing with Toews mainly so I don't know if we will be afforded the opportunity. Personally I'd love to see it.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Martin was an admittedly strange pick, but I think his style of play is suited to international hockey. Smart plays (this year anyway) that are simple, good skating and strong positional defence. Reminds me a bit of Rafalski, and he often enjoyed disproportionate success internationally. I tried to balance RH and LH, but I don't think one off pairing is a big deal when it comes to elite defencemen. Yandle is a guy that I hate watching at even strength, and I suspect would be a bit liability at the Olympic level. USA already has very capable puck movers, but I can see an argument being made for him based on PP work. I considered that but went with J. Johnson for a few intangible reasons.

You may have been right Jack. An exclusive on USA Hockey's website.

http://usahockey.com/TeamUSA/Mens/Features/Martin.aspx

Courtesy of Chris Adamski of USA Hockey.:

“Those [older players] had played 20 years, 15 years on USA teams, and it was always fun to watch them,” Martin said. “You just always assume that they’ll be there forever, but everyone gets a little older and now the last Olympics was kind of a passing of the torch.”

It’s still a ways off, but it’s definitely something that, as far as loving that chance or being able to have an opportunity, I’d be grateful for it,” Martin said. “Being on the taxi squad in Italy and being able to be on the team but be injured for Vancouver, it was tough to take.

“Growing up playing on all the USA teams you realize how special it is and how much fun it is, and then not being able to participate is always tough, but it definitely made me a stronger player and person and I’m looking forward hopefully to the next Olympics, if they let us play, it’s something I would be glad to be a part of.”"

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Saad's an amazing talent and I like watching him...but it would be a big shock if he made the Olympic team...even if he did improve over the next year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some recent info from Bob McKenzie:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

USA Hockey won't name Olympic GM until NHL makes Olympic commitment official. But USA Hockey is likely to want its GM to be active NHL GM.

If so, that would preclude Brian Burke from returning in his role as Team USA GM even tho he came within 1 OTG of winning the gold medal.

NSH GM David Poile, who was Burke's associate on U.S. Olympic team in 2010, would be most likely candidate as U.S. GM.

Interesting tidbit. I don't think it really matters who gets the official title of team GM. Other than being the spokesperson, all the other GMs would seem to have equal input if they follow the 2010 approach.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Some recent info from Bob McKenzie:

Interesting tidbit. I don't think it really matters who gets the official title of team GM. Other than being the spokesperson, all the other GMs would seem to have equal input if they follow the 2010 approach.

I think it really comes down to picking personnel. Whoever has the best eye for assessing talent should get the job. Poille wouldn't be a bad pick if that were the case. He has a good track record of drafting talent.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think it really comes down to picking personnel. Whoever has the best eye for assessing talent should get the job. Poille wouldn't be a bad pick if that were the case. He has a good track record of drafting talent.

All the GMs on the advisory panel pick the team. They all constantly rank the players throughout and the choose the team based on their combined rankings so one guy is picking the team per se. For example, in 2010, the Team GM Burke wanted to bring 12 forwards and 8 defensemen - but the rest of the GMs wanted 13 forwards and 7 defensemen and the latter got their way.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
All the GMs on the advisory panel pick the team. They all constantly rank the players throughout and the choose the team based on their combined rankings so one guy is picking the team per se. For example, in 2010, the Team GM Burke wanted to bring 12 forwards and 8 defensemen - but the rest of the GMs wanted 13 forwards and 7 defensemen and the latter got their way.

I know how the process works I was just stating that I think the final say should come down to two people's opinions: the Coach and the actual GM. I've never delved deep into the decision making process behind how they choose but this time around, if the rosters are expanded, how do you think they will go about it?

The GM ultimately has the final say and I'd like to be in the room when they are making their decisions, in particular the difficult ones. I know the process, only at face value, but as I stated, whoever is chosen has some tough decisions to make. Last time around I know they went by committee. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of groupthink mentality. I guess I'm just worried that the selection process might skew whatever attempt someone as the central manager would have to construct a team instead of just a hodgepodge of players. This is not to negate the overall message or discredit those in the selection process, everyone's input would be valuable.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It would be a shock at this point in time, but he's certainly a reasonable conversation piece.

pretty much just trying to get his name out there as he simply has the style and game that could really turn into something special, especially considering who he plays with.

I think Saad is going to be one of those players that simply has the size and skillset to almost be dominating out there once he matures more and gets more acclimated to the league. I have watched him play in 30 games this season, I can rarely say the kid has had a bad night at all this year. Just a consistent tireless worker, in the mold of Dustin Brown, Callahan or Oshie but with more size and skill imo...

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
pretty much just trying to get his name out there as he simply has the style and game that could really turn into something special, especially considering who he plays with.

I think Saad is going to be one of those players that simply has the size and skillset to almost be dominating out there once he matures more and gets more acclimated to the league. I have watched him play in 30 games this season, I can rarely say the kid has had a bad night at all this year. Just a consistent tireless worker, in the mold of Dustin Brown, Callahan or Oshie but with more size and skill imo...

I hope he gets a look but I think he's going to be a bit too green to get a roster spot. However I'll be excited to see him 2018.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
Stepan should get serious consideration. He is playing much better than Stastny right now. If he keeps it up he will make the team imo.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
my team as of March 26th....

Defense

Jack Johnson
Keith Yandle
Ryan Suter
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ryan McDonagh
Brooks Orpik
Dustin Byfuglien

just missing the cut: Nick Leddy, Alex Goligoski, Erik Johnson, John Carlson, Justin Faulk, Paul Martin and Zach Bogosian.

Forwards

Pat Kane
Bobby Ryan
Zach Parise
Ryan Kesler
Max Pacioretty
Blake Wheeler
Phil Kessel
James van Riemsdyk
Joe Pavelski
Colin Wilson
David Backes
Ryan Callahan
Dustin Brown
Derek Stepan

just missing: Paul Stastny, Jason Pominville, Brandon Saad, Alex Galchenyuk, T.J Oshie, Kyle Okposo, and Brandon Dubinsky

Goalies

Ryan Miller
Jon Quick
Craig Anderson

just missing : Cory Schneider, Jimmy Howard, Tim Thomas (if returns).

I like to have the forward group be a bit bigger as Patches, Wheeler, and JVR will bring that needed skill and size to the wings.. I also like Colin Wilson and Derek Stepan to jump ahead of Paul Stastny as both just simply have better overall skills and Wilson gives us much needed size down the middle. Stastny still has an excellent chance at making this team, but Wilson and Stepan are putting a lot of pressure on USA Hockey to pick both of them for this team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I hope he gets a look but I think he's going to be a bit too green to get a roster spot. However I'll be excited to see him 2018.

agreed. but he isnt that far off the list if you ask me. if this kid continues to improve next year, I am not sure you can make a case to not pick him...he is in the top 20 for all USA scorers, top 4 for all rookie scorers in the entire league, and has been playing on the top line all season with Toews and Hossa, even during all their media craziness with the streak. this kid isnt green anymore imo though I know what you are saying...he has stepped up and played top line minutes on the best overall team in the league...if he stays this way next year, surely there will be a spot for him in the bottom 6 or taxi squad just for the experience.

what makes it even more realistic for me is that Saad I believe had only 1 point in his first 13-14 games....since then he is a ppg player with 15 points now in his last 16-17 games..this kid is starting to put it together after being absolutely robbed 8-9 points in those first 13 games..simply had no luck in the beginning, now it is starting to go in for him...all I am saying is dont be shocked if he is top8-10 in points for the US next year and gets a very long long look to make this team.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
agreed. but he isnt that far off the list if you ask me. if this kid continues to improve next year, I am not sure you can make a case to not pick him...he is in the top 20 for all USA scorers, top 4 for all rookie scorers in the entire league, and has been playing on the top line all season with Toews and Hossa, even during all their media craziness with the streak. this kid isnt green anymore imo though I know what you are saying...he has stepped up and played top line minutes on the best overall team in the league...if he stays this way next year, surely there will be a spot for him in the bottom 6 or taxi squad just for the experience.

what makes it even more realistic for me is that Saad I believe had only 1 point in his first 13-14 games....since then he is a ppg player with 15 points now in his last 16-17 games..this kid is starting to put it together after being absolutely robbed 8-9 points in those first 13 games..simply had no luck in the beginning, now it is starting to go in for him...all I am saying is dont be shocked if he is top8-10 in points for the US next year and gets a very long long look to make this team.

If he takes his play over the last 20 odd games and continues it consistently (an issue for him in the past for various reasons) then he isn't just realistic, he's a lock.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
If he takes his play over the last 20 odd games and continues it consistently (an issue for him in the past for various reasons) then he isn't just realistic, he's a lock.

Yes. My only fear is that maybe he's a streaky player. I'm really excited for him, and I love watching him play.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It would be a shock at this point in time, but he's certainly a reasonable conversation piece.

don't get me wrong..as a hawks fan i'd love to see him make the team :nod:

re your goal situation - leaving aside the #3 spot, are you guys all pretty certain that miller and quick are guaranteed to make the team? also...re 1/2 spot...how does USA Hockey work on that sort of thing (I don't know a lot about the politics/mentality involved in your own federation)...are they more democratic and will they wait to see who looks best...or is miller likely to be the #1 unless Quick convinces them otherwise?

by way of contrast...i think there's disagreement on the boards how Hockey Canada will handle things. I think most Cdn fans assume Price and Luongo will be there...but i see people saying that Price is likely to be #1 b/c he'll likely be better than Luongo. I, on the other hand, think that no matter what Luongo will be given the first shot at #1 b/c Hockey Canada simply works that way.

^^ isn't meant to bore you w/ the minutiae of the Cdn situation - but simply as an example of why i'm wondering how the dynamics of USA Hockey work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad