2014 Training Camp Thread

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Mancina has been cut too as per Steinberg. Makes sense though, he wasn't going to make the team and is ineligible to play in the AHL.

Surprised Fram hasn't been cut too, I do believe he has a year of junior eligibility left.

Fram had some baaaaad giveaway in the Dinos game. I was sitting right behind the net as he kept firing it right onto Dinos sticks in front of his own goalie, couldn't believe it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Fram had some baaaaad giveaway in the Dinos game. I was sitting right behind the net as he kept firing it right onto Dinos sticks in front of his own goalie, couldn't believe it.

I think they should just sign him, if they can. He's a young dude, and D is where the Flames need the most prospects. Lots of time to improve his decision making either in juniors or the AHL.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Mancina has been cut too as per Steinberg. Makes sense though, he wasn't going to make the team and is ineligible to play in the AHL.

Surprised Fram hasn't been cut too, I do believe he has a year of junior eligibility left.

Fram actually has two years of junior eligibility remaining since he was born in 95'.

I thought he was a real standout at development camp but has definitely struggled over the past week to make the same impression. He is a kid who we should all be keeping an eye on this upcoming season since I think it's likely he gets another long look next year (if not already signed).

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Trevor Gillies is garbage in every sense of the word. If he gets a contract I'll have a hard time buying anything Brad "high character" Treliving says anymore. Even if it's just an AHL deal.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Trevor Gillies is garbage in every sense of the word. If he gets a contract I'll have a hard time buying anything Brad "high character" Treliving says anymore. Even if it's just an AHL deal.

Must feel like after 12 games in our org he's not the dirty player he was in the past, fairly pathetic sample size for a guy who didn't learn from 9 and 10 game NHL suspensions.
We got him last year after the ECHL suspended him... He wasn't good enough to avoid "gooning" it up in the ECHL?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have to say I'm not a fan of having Gillies in our organization or anywhere near our kids. I understand the reason for the need of having someone like him but there are other options out there. I do believe some players can change, but his history is quite disgusting.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Smid bashin' on the Oilers :laugh:

D Ladislav Smid, acquired last season from the Edmonton Oilers, is about to have his first training camp with the Flames, but figures after going through practices last season, he's aware of what to expect. "The team has its own identity and it's hard work. When I came here from Edmonton, and nothing against Edmonton, but the practices here are just on a different level. It's like a game. It's getting you ready for the game and it's not as big of a transition from practice to game."

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This isn't the first time Edmonton has been bashed about their practice. Trotz singled them out too when they acquired Dubnyk, seeing many flaws in his game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fram actually has two years of junior eligibility remaining since he was born in 95'.

I thought he was a real standout at development camp but has definitely struggled over the past week to make the same impression. He is a kid who we should all be keeping an eye on this upcoming season since I think it's likely he gets another long look next year (if not already signed).
1 year remaining without being an overager. This coming season would see '94 born players be overagers.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Dubnyk was terrible to begin with.

Every goalie that has gone to Glendale came back a better goaltender.

Bryz was just a backup in Anaheim, became a legitimate starter
Smith was atrocious in Tampa Bay, became a legitimate starter
Greiss looked solid in Glendale too.

Dubnyk had an off year, but I really think Burke can get him back as a 2A behind Smith.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Backlund with a strained abdominal (day-to-day). Also day-to-day are Poirier, Wotherspoon, Potter, Bennett and Gillies. Gillies has the flu.

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
Things I saw today after watching the games

David Wolf is a beast, he could legit push for a spot in calgary, he is a wrecking ball out there, with and without the puck, someone comes and tries to check him while he has the puck, NOPE! he lays them out flat, he is always skating and moving his feet, has some nifty moves and its like the puck is magnetized to him, he always has it or is dishing passses. he levelled Hunter Smith... juss saying

McGratten was noticeably quicker than I remember, has some good breakouts and played the cycle game well

Sena Acolatse was used a lot, I think they are looking for him to really step up in ADK, he played well

Kanzig is a little awkward, but with his size im sure he'll learn

JG was JG

ill try and write some more tomorrow, and write some down so when I get home I dont forget it all

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Backlund with a strained abdominal (day-to-day). Also day-to-day are Poirier, Wotherspoon, Potter, Bennett and Gillies. Gillies has the flu.
i0vuh9PC0Hqtp.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
From the highlights I've seen, Wolf looks like a total beast, like a Lucic out there. He's beyond solid, and it looks like he has some skill to. He could very well make this team, I absolutely think he will called up at some point at the very least.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Backlund out 2 weeks?

Roger Millions
‏@RogMillions
It looks at least two weeks for Mikael Backlund with an abdominal injury. Why not wait for regular season? #Flames

other injury tweets

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames · 14h
Backlund (abdominal strain), Wotherspoon (shoulder), Poirier (shoulder) & Potter (shoulder) won't scrimmage but w/ skate on their own today.

Backlund, Wotherspoon, Poirier, and Potter are all day-to-day.

Gillies (flu) and Bennett (groin) are day-to-day.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Apparently Backlund's injury happened training back in Sweden. It doesn't sound to, to serious but Hartley wants him ready so he'll sit. At least we know he's in good shape and he knows the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad