2014 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Trade Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetbluejackets

Nov 10, 2007
When will HFBoards Columbus respect the blue jackets?

Good gracious, reading the reaction here, you'd think this team sucks and needed to rebuild itself into a post-deadline contender by making sweeping changes.

This is a good team, folks. They've survived missing Gaborik for half the season and Bob for 4-5 weeks. They can certainly survive staying together for the stretch run.

:sarcasm on:

Take your spin elsewhere. We didn't get Crosby with all his salary retained by PIT so today was a total bust.

We didn't get a 1st and top prospect for our oft-injured $7MM man. Jarmo got fleeced and is a moron.

:sarcasm off:

Perhaps this team actually trusts it's own player pool (NHL and AHL fill ins) to the point where we didn't need to make a big splash for help? I know it's a new concept for us, but just maybe?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
When will HFBoards Columbus respect the blue jackets?

Canada still doesn't, so why should we? ;)

For my part, I think the team will be fine; I'm just disappointed that the market was that bad and saddened that Jarmo decided to proceed anyways. I've heard his reasons for doing so, but... ennnh.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
every single team competing with us got better, and we did nothing in a total buyers market, thats what makes me mad. i knew we would get garbage for gaborik, but to do nothing amidst our competitors getting better is awful.. losing confidence with jarmos ability to trade, totally whiffed on gaborik both ways around

Come down off the ledge. Our competitors are:

Ahead of CBJ in standings as of 3/5

Philadelphia - loses Meszaros, | gains Downie, MacDonald (even)
NYR - loses Callahan | gains St. Louis, Diaz (better)
Toronto - no change

Behind CBJ in standings as of 3/5

Detroit - loses Eaves | gains Legwand (even)
Washington - loses Erat, Neuvirth | gains Halak, Penner (slightly better)
New Jersey - loses Loktionov | gains Ruutu (even)
Ottawa - loses nothing | gains Hemsky (slightly better)
Carolina - loses Ruutu | gains Lokiontov (even)

Other than NY, I really don't see any significant improvements that scare me, particularly from teams behind us in the standings. Behind us, Washington stands to gain the most with Halak and Penner, but I don't know that I believe their problems are fixed by those two guys. One could argue that Philly became a little worse....

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
And if you didn't know of Gaborik's play before he landed in Columbus, one would have to say we came out even as well.

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Come down off the ledge. Our competitors are:

Ahead of CBJ in standings as of 3/5

Philadelphia - loses Meszaros, | gains Downie, MacDonald (even)
NYR - loses Callahan | gains St. Louis, Diaz (better)
Toronto - no change

Behind CBJ in standings as of 3/5

Detroit - loses Eaves | gains Legwand (even)
Washington - loses Erat, Neuvirth | gains Halak, Penner (slightly better)
New Jersey - loses Loktionov | gains Ruutu (even)
Ottawa - loses nothing | gains Hemsky (slightly better)
Carolina - loses Ruutu | gains Lokiontov (even)

Other than NY, I really don't see any significant improvements that scare me, particularly from teams behind us in the standings. Behind us, Washington stands to gain the most with Halak and Penner, but I don't know that I believe their problems are fixed by those two guys. One could argue that Philly became a little worse....
no ones on any ledge, i still think this team will make the playoffs because gaborik added nothing.. but not sure how you can argue that this trade deadline wasnt a failure in regards to asset management and not taking advantage of a buyers market

disagree with your analysis.. our 3 main competitors (rangers, caps, flyers) got better. philly gets one of the top shot blockers in the game, nyr gets a recent art ross winner, and the caps get a #1 goalie.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
OMG, like totally fer sure...

This board is like a bunch of 13 year old girls who can't be satisfied. This is a very good team. Where is the group that was hell bent on not making any moves? I mean we did very little and didn't disrupt the core which was a big concern for some. We didn't move anything we needed. I don't get the negative vibe right now.

Most of the work done was done without Gaborik (and I like him). We have some depth issues on D so we pick up a bottom pair guy which tells me Tyutin and Murray are likely short term injuries. While I can't figure out why we needed another bottom 6 guy like Frattin looking at the return for the other high end guys I think the Gabby trade will be fine. For anyone who thinks he's still an impact player I think you should really look at the level of play from him. He looked scared to play recently. I know he had a lot of time off but his skating and shooting haven't been on display in Columbus since acquired.

I'm fine with today and won't say anything more about it. Oh, maybe one more thing.... I think the RAngers fall on their face after moving yet another key locker room guy. I know MSL is good but I just don't see them as better. The Caps are a mess, NJ is old and unlikely to compete down the stretch, Philly didn't improve and continues to have a sieve of a defense and Mason in goal. Montreal could be the darkhorse if Vanek fits in. I really don't see any major changes in the general group around us.

OK, now that's it. Enjoy your misery and let's go Jackets!

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't care if the CBJ did nothing today, and I especially did not want to give up anything that blew up the core or the future. Success on this front, as Gabby was not core or part of the CBJ future.

With the injuries, I was looking for a cheap veteran defenceman who could fill in if needed. Check.

Personally, I would have kept Gabby or I was hoping for a first in exchange. Didn't get it, but I guess a 2nd and maybe a third is the next best thing. Frattin is just a project that maybe could become an asset or may not. Seeing what Vanek and Moulson went for, I'm not upset about it.

No home run today, but no hitting into a double play either, as far as I am concerned. More like taking a strike in order to wait for a better pitch on the next throw. I'm fine with rolling the dice on this group sans Gabby.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
OMG, like totally fer sure...

This board is like a bunch of 13 year old girls who can't be satisfied. This is a very good team. Where is the group that was hell bent on not making any moves? I mean we did very little and didn't disrupt the core which was a big concern for some. We didn't move anything we needed. I don't get the negative vibe right now.

We're sitting around laughing at all the arguing and waiting for the next game to start. I had no idea how today was going to go down, but I had a feeling Gaborik would be gone. It just seemed to make sense since what we accomplished most of this season was without him. It would've been nice to get something better back for him but the dude can't seem to stay on the ice. Other than that, pretty meh on the whole trade deadline day, which seems to be what happens every year. Hype, HYPE, HYPE... disappointment.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I am conflicted by today's activity. For what we got I would have kept Gabby. Haven't heard Jarmo's reasoning yet but I'm sure its great.

Other teams seemed to do better but sometimes at a cost that we didn't want to pay? If that was the case I can live with it. I definitely didn't want to trade top prospects for a rental to try and get into the playoffs because I just don't see a prolonged run should we get in.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I am conflicted by today's activity. For what we got I would have kept Gabby. Haven't heard Jarmo's reasoning yet but I'm sure its great.

Other teams seemed to do better but sometimes at a cost that we didn't want to pay? If that was the case I can live with it. I definitely didn't want to trade top prospects for a rental to try and get into the playoffs because I just don't see a prolonged run should we get in.

#CBJ Jarmo Kekalainen on Gaborik trade: "we had to protect the future of the franchise. We looked all options. This was the best option."

#CBJ Kekalainen on Gaborik: "With the unfortunate injuries, he never got on a roll. He wasn't going to stay here after this year."

More #CBJ Kekalainen on Gaborik: "You can have a big name and a big career but it can be hard to find a fit somewhere. He just didn't fit."

Kekalainen: "Gaborik wanted it to work and we wanted it to work. But it didn't, and we both had to move on." #CBJ
Kekalainen on the state of #CBJ: "As of today, we're a playoff team. We like our team and believe in our team. Our chemistry is great."
#CBJ Kekalainen: "There were a good number of teams, all Stanley Cup contenders, who were interested in Gaborik."

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I have surmised that the trade was less about what we got and more about getting Gabby out of here.

I think he is a skilled player, but........Whether it was to dump some of the expense, a mismatch of the team culture, lack of enregy in Jarmo's mind, I dont know. But that's where I've landed. And if that's the reason, I am going to trust Jarmo, JD and Richards on that call.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What the hell does "protect the future of the franchise" mean? Was Gaborik harming someone?

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What the hell does "protect the future of the franchise" mean? Was Gaborik harming someone?
Glad I'm not the only person questioning this statement. Vanek goes for a conditional pick and a nobody prospect in Europe and Moulson is traded for a UFA 4th liner. Trading a similar player/pick that Montreal and Minnesota gave up would not be even a bump in the road for this team.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo said that line about 5 times during his presser and I still have no earthly idea what he meant by that.

When I initially read it my first reaction was ownership and financial reasons, but I thought that didn't make any sense. IDK. Whatever I guess

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wasn't Dalton Smith a 2nd rounder? We gotta protect the future of the franchise!

thebus2288*

I just don't understand how some of you can be upset about what we got back for Gaborik. Then other people are upset we didn't add some big name guy for a smaller package than they thought they would go for. You guys realize the values of these guys are related right?

Just because you receive the "best" player in a trade doesn't mean your team will be better. Same thing for the team losing that "better" player. We don't have to look very far as both of the Ranger trades IMO the team getting rid of the better player actually were better off after. Vanek to the Islanders. How'd that go for them? It'll all come down to chemistry and how much it affects each team. And that's another big reason it looks like Gaborik was moved now, maybe he was holding the team back a bit.

Last thing...I think Frattin is way better than people are giving him credit for. Type of play fits the team perfect, is still pretty young, and has shown he can score some goals. No possible way he's worse than Umberger right?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Wasn't Dalton Smith a 2nd rounder? We gotta protect the future of the franchise!
In that 2010 draft, it appears we will only get two players out of it, Johansen and Prout. Four of our picks were unsigned/traded (Smith(2nd), Straka(2nd), Corbeil (4th), and Archibald(5th). Prout was a 6th, and the only other guy in that class is Austin Madaisky, an ECHL defenseman and Martin Oullette, who is unsigned right now and given our goalie depth, probably won't be signed. Yikes

No possible way he's worse than Umberger right?

With how he's been playing the past month or so, I can only hope he' a quarter of what RJ Umberger is.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
#CBJ Jarmo Kekalainen on Gaborik trade: "we had to protect the future of the franchise. We looked all options. This was the best option."

#CBJ Kekalainen on Gaborik: "With the unfortunate injuries, he never got on a roll. He wasn't going to stay here after this year."

More #CBJ Kekalainen on Gaborik: "You can have a big name and a big career but it can be hard to find a fit somewhere. He just didn't fit."

Kekalainen: "Gaborik wanted it to work and we wanted it to work. But it didn't, and we both had to move on." #CBJ
Kekalainen on the state of #CBJ: "As of today, we're a playoff team. We like our team and believe in our team. Our chemistry is great."
#CBJ Kekalainen: "There were a good number of teams, all Stanley Cup contenders, who were interested in Gaborik."

Thanks stew

I don't get the protect comment. Was Gabby Richie Incognito to Boll's Jonathan Martin? :laugh:

thebus2288*

Glad I'm not the only person questioning this statement. Vanek goes for a conditional pick and a nobody prospect in Europe and Moulson is traded for a UFA 4th liner. Trading a similar player/pick that Montreal and Minnesota gave up would not be even a bump in the road for this team.

You guys are taking it the wrong way. Why do you think these guys are being moved for "nobody" players? Its possible that these guys have the potential to stir up some sort of issues either with players, coaches or even upper management, no? Maybe what he means is that he doesn't want our young guys(Cam,Johan and others) to mimic what they see from guys like Gabby and Vanek. Its possible this was already going on.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The way i take the protecting the franchise comment is that if Gaborik were to get hurt, or continue to float and not produce at all(notice how i said if) than come end of the season whether we made the playoffs or not we would get nothing for him. This way we get a roster player, and 2 picks in a "deep" draft. This past draft we got Heatherington and Bjorkstrand with our 2nd and 3rds. Idk i think Frattin will fit in with the blue collar style the club has flourished under. Its when we try to get pretty that we struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad