2014 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Trade Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not a good day for CBJ hockey. No real help for the team. As others have mentioned (including myself); teams were active and most deals looked pretty modest in return.

As I said; we decided to run with what we have.

Can't say I like it. We could have used more help on defense than Sgt. Schultz.

I'm fairly grumpy right now.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
was a buyers market for sure today - probably could have added a decent player for picks.

also, Schultz is a rental, which means JD flat out lied.

jetbluejackets

Nov 10, 2007
holy jumpin' people...

better record with Gabby out than with him in.

Obviously were not interested in re-signing him

Open up 7 mil in cap space for the off season

getting 2 decent picks is never a bad thing

Step back from the ledge...nothing has changed

Last edited:

forktie

Jan 31, 2007
the 'Bus
We are currently sitting in a playoff spot, and we did it missing Bobrovsky for a month and without Horton for 3 months, and without Gaborik pretty much the whole time.

I am not sure what I would have had Jarmo do differently other than maybe tried to land a defenseman with a little more offensive upside.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
was a buyers market for sure today - probably could have added a decent player for picks.

???

Perhaps JD thought the injuries changed things, or perhaps the concept of "rental" he was thinking of was no marquee rentals, whereas depth defenders are okay. Lay off the animosity.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

A bit strong. Perhaps his evaluation of what was needed was changed by what he saw on the ice? The rental cost a fifth. Inconsequential.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
A bit strong. Perhaps his evaluation of what was needed was changed by what he saw on the ice? The rental cost a fifth. Inconsequential.

like i said, i'm fine with the Schultz deal, but i'm kind of tiring of his "bricks" and "we'll only add a player if they help us long term" schtick.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You have to be a bit puzzled that Vanek only cost Collberg and a 2nd. Basically 2 2nds. If that's all it takes, then I think Vanek's made a bad name for himself, and his stock took a serious hit with the Olympic drinking scandal. A lot of teams, Columbus included, would easily trade a pair of 2nds for a top line left wing. The fact that they didn't proves they don't trust him.

IHeartZherdev*

I think this team is confident, and they like each other. If anything they'll take it as a vote of confidence.

by taking away a star winger who was very popular in the room and replacing him with two scrubs? no way this goes over well in the room.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm fine with the Schultz deal, and I'm fine with trading gaborik. But why did you clear all the cap space just to sit on it? What good did that do? If you want the cap to go Into the FA with, hold on to gabby and then lose him for nothing at the end of the year. Sure that doesn't help us in the future and we don't get a pick (or picks), but you still get a lethal scoring threat. Now we have like 25 bolls and comeaus.

bizzz*

Probably the worst dead-line in the team history. Are the Jackets going to pay Gaborik for playing in LA? The Jackets moves just don't make any sense what so ever. That was a buyers market, but the Jackets were selling and got only a rental defenseman.

Washington gets Halak and Penner.
Detroit gets Legwand.
Montreal gets Vanek and Weaver.
New Jersey gets Ruutu.
Philly gets MacDonald.
NYR get St.Louis (and lose Callahan though).
Ottawa gets Hemsky.
The Jackets trade Gaborik away and get Nick Schultz.

Howson should be laughing somewhere in Edmonton.

IHeartZherdev*

like i said, i'm fine with the Schultz deal, but i'm kind of tiring of his "bricks" and "we'll only add a player if they help us long term" schtick.

Matt Frattin and Nick Shultz will never be outworked! They sit in the press box the right way!

Won't repost my entire rant from the Gabby thread but here are JD/Jarmo's additions to the NHL roster so far:

Blake Comeau, Jack Skille, Matt Frattin, Corey Tropp, Illari Melart, Curtis McElhinney, Nick Shultz, Nathan Horton

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I understand, but I'm not sure what path I'd want him to be touting instead of that. They've been saying all week that they were open to whatever would make the team better. Clearly, we can disagree on whether they did that. The moves today just leave me empty. I enjoyed having a player of Gaborik's status and reputation on my home team, even if he didn't appear to add much to their performance.

I'll get over it.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Attachments

• schultz.jpg
    schultz.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 0

RickS

Sep 19, 2005
Is it possible that JK tried to make other trades and the other teams said "no" or that they wanted more than what the Jackets were willing to trade?

IHeartZherdev*

I don't think Nick Shultz is a big enough upgrade on D to be worth taking away playing time/experience from Prout/Erixon/Murray/Goloubef.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad