2014 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Trade Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Matt Frattin and Nick Shultz will never be outworked! They sit in the press box the right way!

Won't repost my entire rant from the Gabby thread but here are JD/Jarmo's additions to the NHL roster so far:

Blake Comeau, Jack Skille, Matt Frattin, Corey Tropp, Illari Melart, Curtis McElhinney, Nick Shultz, Nathan Horton

crazy to see that as even Horton has been disappointing..

his drafting is probably his strong suit, though.. and his picks have looked very good so far.

IHeartZherdev*

crazy to see that as even Horton has been disappointing..

his drafting is probably his strong suit, though.. and his picks have looked very good so far.

Yeah - draft picks take awhile so way to early to judge. But seeing how close this team is to playoffs very disappointing to see he hasn't been able to add a single meaningful player to help get us in, aside from Gabby, who he just dumped

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Jarmo just said that last year's Gaborik trade didn't work out, he takes full responsibility. Time to move forward

jetbluejackets

Nov 10, 2007
Wasn't that the point of my "rant"? Thanks for reinforcing what I was saying.

FYI, this part was kind of silly. He's an UFA; this changed nothing about our cap situation next season.

wasn't talking about anyone specifically, well maybe CBJBrassard and those stating how awful this deadline was..

Point about the cap situation is now we don't even have to worry about budgeting him in there.

we were an above .500 team without him in the lineup, and we'll be an above .500 team without him on the team.

Kurtis5939

Feb 7, 2011
Pensacola, FL
The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded D Matt Taormina and F Dana Tyrell to the Columbus Blue Jackets for F Jonathan Marchessault and F Dalton Smith.

got this from a Facebook group, idk how reliable it is.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
wasn't talking about anyone specifically, well maybe CBJBrassard and those stating how awful this deadline was..

Point about the cap situation is now we don't even have to worry about budgeting him in there.

we were an above .500 team without him in the lineup, and we'll be an above .500 team without him on the team.

Regardless of what we did or didn't do; we didn't have to "worry" about budgeting him. If the goal was to free up space for a depth D-Man; Sgt. Schultz wasn't the man we should have been targeting.

Regardless of your spin, this was not a good trade deadline. Not good at all. We did not help the team in any meaningful way.

jetbluejackets

Nov 10, 2007
Regardless of what we did or didn't do; we didn't have to "worry" about budgeting him. If the goal was to free up space for a depth D-Man; Sgt. Schultz wasn't the man we should have been targeting.

Regardless of your spin, this was not a good trade deadline. Not good at all. We did not help the team in any meaningful way.

Not talking about this year, I'm talking about going into the off-season's cap hit.

We obv had no interest in resigning Gabby, and we've been a better team without him so far, not my opinion, it's a fact that someone posted before. It's seems as if GMJK felt that way too, and treated Gabby as if we were out of the playoffs...unload for what you can so you don't get stuck with nothing.

I too am underwhelmed with this deadline, but do not believe we are a worse team after it....true, we're not better on paper, but if you hadn't noticed, we've been on a pretty good roll since Jan 1

bizzz*

btw, the Worst Rumor of the Day Award goes to the guy who said JJ might get traded.

With the way the front office has handled this dead-line I won't be surprised if the traded JMFJ for a couple of fourth liners or 3rd rounders.

bizzz*

Not talking about this year, I'm talking about going into the off-season's cap hit.

We obv had no interest in resigning Gabby, and we've been a better team without him so far, not my opinion, it's a fact that someone posted before. It's seems as if GMJK felt that way too, and treated Gabby as if we were out of the playoffs...unload for what you can so you don't get stuck with nothing.

I too am underwhelmed with this deadline, but do not believe we are a worse team after it....true, we're not better on paper, but if you hadn't noticed, we've been on a pretty good roll since Jan 1
Can people just stop saying that nonsense?
The Jackets just won 3 in a row and Gabby was a big part of the last two game winning goals.
The record this team posted at beginning of the season has nothing to do with Gaborik. Bob, Joey, Johnson - all of them haven't been good back then.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Considering how relatively well the last 60 days have gone on the ice, I don't necessarily think that this is a bad thing. I would rather them leave well enough alone and 'dance with who brung ya' than make a move just to make a splash.

It is disappointing, but I went into today without a burning desire to pay huge costs and potentially disrupt that they have going. Frankly, I would've kept Gaborik on the hopes that he could contribute enough to lead to a couple of wins rather than unload for picks. GMJK seemed pretty adamant about moving him so it seems there's a little more to it than what we know. Shocking, I know.

The Schultz thing doesn't bother me at all. It's the equivalent of resigning Aucoin for a month or so and I remember a lot of people around here being happy with the stability he offered down the stretch last season. I know I was, and I expect the same kind of performance out of this guy - whether it's a push to the young guys to maintain a higher level or a stabilizing force, he's going to have a positive influence, IMO. Sure, we could plug in Erixon or Goloubef, but if they're in because there's no one else healthy, they're not properly motivated, IMO. I like the addition of another option as much as I like the addition of experience and size.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, that sucked. Not that it's likely to greatly affect the team, but I was hoping for better.

Then again, I think the only GM selling a forward that actually got good value was David Poile.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded D Matt Taormina and F Dana Tyrell to the Columbus Blue Jackets for F Jonathan Marchessault and F Dalton Smith.

got this from a Facebook group, idk how reliable it is.

Stats suggest that they're both reasonably decent AHL scorers, but that's all. Which is about what one would expect.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
When will HFBoards Columbus respect the blue jackets?

Good gracious, reading the reaction here, you'd think this team sucks and needed to rebuild itself into a post-deadline contender by making sweeping changes.

This is a good team, folks. They've survived missing Gaborik for half the season and Bob for 4-5 weeks. They can certainly survive staying together for the stretch run.

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
every single team competing with us got better, and we did nothing in a total buyers market, thats what makes me mad. i knew we would get garbage for gaborik, but to do nothing amidst our competitors getting better is awful.. losing confidence with jarmos ability to trade, totally whiffed on gaborik both ways around

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Stats suggest that they're both reasonably decent AHL scorers, but that's all. Which is about what one would expect.

Clears a spot for Wennberg or Rychel next season. I could see Schultz getting a 1 year deal next season here.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
When will HFBoards Columbus respect the blue jackets?

Good gracious, reading the reaction here, you'd think this team sucks and needed to rebuild itself into a post-deadline contender by making sweeping changes.

This is a good team, folks. They've survived missing Gaborik for half the season and Bob for 4-5 weeks. They can certainly survive staying together for the stretch run.

Agree.... ;) Not to mention in the playoffs as of today....

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Dave Maetzold ‏@DMaetzMedia 3m
Learning Frattin will wear #23 and Schultz #15 for #CBJ

The return of Alex Selivanov and Duvie Westcott! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad