2014 QMJHL Draft prospects

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
I'm not saying he's a sure thing but he's been very impressive. I've watched him a couple times before IceJam and then watched him at IceJam. He was the guy that stood out most for me. He has decent size, very good skill, but what sets him apart is his work ethic. I think he goes higher than what you expect. And yes, the draft will decide itself but I mean it's only 5 months away so I feel like I can throw my two cents in.

I didn't tell you where I expected him to be drafted :) How can he go higher than what I expect.... :)

I get your opinion and I respect it. I - personally like the kid from what I have seen. In terms of quantifying his work ethic...kind of hard to do. At that level, most kids work hard during games, but, without knowing the kid outside of hockey and knowing the family, it's hard to say the work ethic sets him apart. Perhaps you know him personally and that's fine, you have that knowledge.

I'll give you an example - a few years ago, Gallant on PEI looked great, worked enough during games to get noticed, but, anyone that watched games where lots of scouts were not in attendance would have seen that he did not work very hard. The total package looked great - skills, size, hockey sense....but there was nothing to close the loop and bring it all together. He fell in the draft and now, a few years later only at 17 is still playing midget AAA, and was released (not traded) by the team that drafted him. His 15yr old season in Midget AAA, he easily outclassed Kameron Kielly.....but, anyone that watched more than a handful of games would have seen the consistency and "true" work ethic of both players. The fact the coach leaned on Kielly more than Gallant, etc. All small things that can go unnoticed if you don't watch many games.

All this to tell you, there are too many variables to predict where someone gets drafted and what scouts are thinking about or looking at. Another example of what I'm trying to explain - the kid is from Central newfoundland. I can guarantee you, only 7-8 Q teams will be realistically looking at him as a top 3 round pick for that reason only. Nothing to do with talent, upside, or anything as such. If he doesn't make the team, where does he go play? If he goes back to NFLD, will he progress? Will he be willing to go to RN, or Val D'or, or BC, or Chicoutimi...Gatineau, etc.

lots and lots of variables that people toss away when they make a blanket statement such as "will be drafted in top 5"

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I didn't tell you where I expected him to be drafted :) How can he go higher than what I expect.... :)

I get your opinion and I respect it. I - personally like the kid from what I have seen. In terms of quantifying his work ethic...kind of hard to do. At that level, most kids work hard during games, but, without knowing the kid outside of hockey and knowing the family, it's hard to say the work ethic sets him apart. Perhaps you know him personally and that's fine, you have that knowledge.

I'll give you an example - a few years ago, Gallant on PEI looked great, worked enough during games to get noticed, but, anyone that watched games where lots of scouts were not in attendance would have seen that he did not work very hard. The total package looked great - skills, size, hockey sense....but there was nothing to close the loop and bring it all together. He fell in the draft and now, a few years later only at 17 is still playing midget AAA, and was released (not traded) by the team that drafted him. His 15yr old season in Midget AAA, he easily outclassed Kameron Kielly.....but, anyone that watched more than a handful of games would have seen the consistency and "true" work ethic of both players. The fact the coach leaned on Kielly more than Gallant, etc. All small things that can go unnoticed if you don't watch many games.

All this to tell you, there are too many variables to predict where someone gets drafted and what scouts are thinking about or looking at. Another example of what I'm trying to explain - the kid is from Central newfoundland. I can guarantee you, only 7-8 Q teams will be realistically looking at him as a top 3 round pick for that reason only. Nothing to do with talent, upside, or anything as such. If he doesn't make the team, where does he go play? If he goes back to NFLD, will he progress? Will he be willing to go to RN, or Val D'or, or BC, or Chicoutimi...Gatineau, etc.

lots and lots of variables that people toss away when they make a blanket statement such as "will be drafted in top 5"

Just for starters, I don't know the kid. He's just a player from Nfld and I'm an observer from NS.

Quantifying work ethic is hard to do but it is the most noticeable thing about him imo. He just has a notch of compete level that goes beyond his peers and it's been evident in the 6 games that I've seen of his and is the most talked about thing from those who watch him a lot. I read an article about him after IceJam and it spoke about his commitment to a high work ethic. When you combine that with his size and skill, it's a very good combination. Not to mention that he has the stats to back it up. Of course, these aren't always precursors as to what he will become but I think he's very much on the right track.

I'm not saying that he *will* go top-10, because anything can happen. This is just a personal prediction. But I think it would be a mistake if he fell. I wouldn't complain if he fell to the Mooseheads though :).

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Just for starters, I don't know the kid. He's just a player from Nfld and I'm an observer from NS.

Quantifying work ethic is hard to do but it is the most noticeable thing about him imo. He just has a notch of compete level that goes beyond his peers and it's been evident in the 6 games that I've seen of his and is the most talked about thing from those who watch him a lot. I read an article about him after IceJam and it spoke about his commitment to a high work ethic. When you combine that with his size and skill, it's a very good combination. Not to mention that he has the stats to back it up. Of course, these aren't always precursors as to what he will become but I think he's very much on the right track.

I'm not saying that he *will* go top-10, because anything can happen. This is just a personal prediction. But I think it would be a mistake if he fell. I wouldn't complain if he fell to the Mooseheads though :).

Great discussion! I like his size and skill - of that there is no debate!! And, as I do with all kids. I do sincerely wish them success :)

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011

I think what Patmac is saying is that he is a top-10 talent. He is not 'mock drafting' - any team serious about drafting in the top 6 rounds will have done ( better have done ) thier homework which includes finding things out that casual and professional observers will not pick up by just watching him play. if someone found out something then they pass on him, its that simple. And if he drops to #30 pick so be it, it doesn't change the on-ice observances.

I am going to agree that his on ice ethic is amazing and it got better with each viewing IMO. He is very committed on the ice to get better.

TL&DR Ranking is different than Mock Drafting

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I think what Patmac is saying is that he is a top-10 talent. He is not 'mock drafting' - any team serious about drafting in the top 6 rounds will have done ( better have done ) thier homework which includes finding things out that casual and professional observers will not pick up by just watching him play. if someone found out something then they pass on him, its that simple. And if he drops to #30 pick so be it, it doesn't change the on-ice observances.

I am going to agree that his on ice ethic is amazing and it got better with each viewing IMO. He is very committed on the ice to get better.

Just an aside, a possible 2015 draft choice, This Adam Dawe kid has 28 points in 18 games. Pretty impressive considering hes a 1999 born.
TL&DR Ranking is different than Mock Drafting

Speaking of homework.... He plays for the Central Ice Pak, The Mooseheads just signed Josh Fitzgerald out of there. They obviously have eyes on the team.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
It's probably because you've only seen people from your region, but some people on here overvalue players from the Atltantic region. Given that there are a lot of people on this board that come from there obviously.

Some of the top guys from Québec:

Campoli, Girard, Dubois, Lauzon, Guilbeault.

There is also a player that should garner a lot of attention at the draft, Thomas Grégoire, who is the younger brother of Baie-Comeau's and Montréal Canadiens' 6th rounder Jérémy Grégoire. I don't think he'll go in the 1st round, but he should go in the 2nd.

I'm curious to hear about Fitzpatrick. I know Sherbrooke has a lot of interest in grabbing him, do you guys think he could get drafted as early as 1st overall(Sherbrooke is 18th right now)?

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
It's probably because you've only seen people from your region, but some people on here overvalue players from the Atltantic region. Given that there are a lot of people on this board that come from there obviously.

Some of the top guys from Québec:

Campoli, Girard, Dubois, Lauzon, Guilbeault.

There is also a player that should garner a lot of attention at the draft, Thomas Grégoire, who is the younger brother of Baie-Comeau's and Montréal Canadiens' 6th rounder Jérémy Grégoire. I don't think he'll go in the 1st round, but he should go in the 2nd.

I'm curious to hear about Fitzpatrick. I know Sherbrooke has a lot of interest in grabbing him, do you guys think he could get drafted as early as 1st overall(Sherbrooke is 18th right now)?

I am from the Atlantic region and agree that some players get overrated. But saying that I am sure some of the Quebec player's get the same evaluating from people in there region.

As far as Fitzpatrick goes I have seen him play several times this year and he is the real deal. I never agree with taking a goalie 1st overall but he should be a high pick.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
I am from the Atlantic region and agree that some players get overrated. But saying that I am sure some of the Quebec player's get the same evaluating from people in there region.

As far as Fitzpatrick goes I have seen him play several times this year and he is the real deal. I never agree with taking a goalie 1st overall but he should be a high pick.

I agree completely on Fitzpatrick. Even moreso, considering that the crop of goalies in quebec this year is very weak.

8711hockey

Jan 1, 2014
word is Jean GLEIZES of the Toronto Marlboros minor midget team is qmjhl draft eligible. he was thought to be ohl property to my understanding. could be a steal for whatever team takes him.
33-11-16-27 in the gthl. not bad

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Campoli has been invited to the USNDP camp. When I see something like this I have to believe he has already committed as they wouldn't waste the spot on the kid unless he wanted to come play for the USNDP. I didn't even know he had any American in him.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I suspect it's just his agent (Pat Brisson) keeping his options open so he has leverage.
He does it with all of his potential top pick clients (includes the likes of Crosby, MacKinnon, and Nic Roy).

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I think Maher will go top 10 honestly. Looked really, really good at the icejam. Him and Dawe stood out for Central. I'm definitely not the only one to walk away with that impression either.

He tore newfoundland a new one all season long. My Brother said he's one of the best players he's ever played against. Watching him all year was a treat

Crosby12345

Mar 19, 2014
Is he a late player? I heard some great things about this guy like he's great speed which is supposed to be almost as Mackinnon at same age? is he going to be 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick? maybe going to be a surprise in this draft?

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
Is he a late player? I heard some great things about this guy like he's great speed which is supposed to be almost as Mackinnon at same age? is he going to be 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick? maybe going to be a surprise in this draft?

If he did not get an invitation to the quebec u17 Excellence challenge - chances are he is not first or second rounder. There are about 44 kids ahead of him.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
lmao Mitch Balmas won Rookie of the Year in NSMMHL but wasn't named to the All-Rookie team...

Evan Fitzpatrick was named to the First All-Star Team but wasn't named to the All-Rookie team...

What the hell?

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
:laugh:
Where can we find a list of the players invited to that challenge?

I do not think the list is out yet. Kids have until April 8 to respond to invite. I suppose that once all the invites have been recieved back by HQ, that the list will be released

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Hockey NS releases 2014 Challenge Cup Roster

I wont copy paste the article, the formatting is horrible.

Goalies
Evan Fitzpatrick
Mark Grametbauer

Defenseur
Nicholas Ormon
Luke Green
Hunter Hurlburt
Morgan Nauss
Christopher Goreham
Matt Sartoris

Forwards
Ryan MacDonald
Alex Arab
Jacob Hickey
Declan Smith
Noah Archibald
Keith Getson
Matt Green
Johnny Foley
Brett Crossley
Michael O’Leary
Mitchell Balmas
Barrett Dachyshyn

Notably, Riley Pickard is not on the roster, but ill assume he is the alternate.

I would have also taken Tradesmen player Dylan Morley, a very strong power forward type that adds a lot of grit to his finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad