2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think that would be a draft that would piss me off. Two guys I don't really want anything to do with. I doubt we take DeAngelo on the board even in the 3rd, the guy was suspended twice for racial slurs toward his own teammates...

It still would upgrade the skill level of our pool by 1000%. I would really not mind this. As far as DeAngelo's attitude problems....you have to think it can be fix. If the Habs still believes in Reway despite all those talks of him not being that great of a teamate and all.....you have to believe that some kids are just kids and will improve. Of course, if they have some kind of interviews and find out that DeAngelo don't care and he is who he is...then you move on. But seems that he had really great interviews lately.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It still would upgrade the skill level of our pool by 1000%. I would really not mind this. As far as DeAngelo's attitude problems....you have to think it can be fix. If the Habs still believes in Reway despite all those talks of him not being that great of a teamate and all.....you have to believe that some kids are just kids and will improve. Of course, if they have some kind of interviews and find out that DeAngelo don't care and he is who he is...then you move on. But seems that he had really great interviews lately.

Reway might have had attitude problems but he was never suspended for racial slurs toward your own teammates. That's a line that you simply cannot cross. Especially not twice in the same year (IIRC). Not to mention the media attention it would get with Subban being on our team.

I don't think its a scenario we have to worry about since I don't see us having any interest in DeAngelo as a person or a player.

We can upgrade the skill in our pool all we want but we have to find NHL players. There's some serious questions about both of those players. I'd rather take a guy like Schmaltz who, while he has questions himself, has shown a great talent level and a game that -can- translate to the next level. Where Goldobin is already perimeter at the junior level, will he be even more perimeter at the next two levels? Will he quit and go back to the KHL.

We might be able to find talent in Scherbak, Milano, or Schmaltz if they are available. If not we can grab a player with a high likelihood of making the show, just a matter of upside.. Kempe, Barbashev or Bleackley.

If we are going to go boom or bust on a player with high talent levels.. Vrana or Pastrnak have shown me more in a mens league than Goldobin and Ho-Sang in the junior ranks.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think that would be a draft that would piss me off. Two guys I don't really want anything to do with. I doubt we take DeAngelo on the board even in the 3rd, the guy was suspended twice for racial slurs toward his own teammates...

I'm kinda on the fence on this whole thing. On the one hand being a Jack*** isn't illegal, if only nice people were allowed to play professional sport there would be only about 100 guys in each leagues ! On the other hand this kind of attitude does raise some serious flags about what kind of a teammate and locker room presence the guy will be unless a major attitude adjustment occurs.
I've read some reports that he really performed well in the various interviews at the combine, maybe that will be enough to quell some of the doubt of a least some of the teams.
My personal rule of thumb has always been that there are only three types of character issues that I'd consider actual '' I'm not taking this guy no matter how talented he is'' problems.
1: If the kid is dumber than a bag of rocks. Like literally, this guy could not be trusted to chew gum and walk by himself levels of stupid ( Let's call that the Keven Veilleux syndrome) .
2: If the kid already has serious alcohol/addictions problems (That would be the Daniel Ryder syndrome)
3: The kid is out of shape from the get go and so adverse to training/working hard that you have no hope he'll ever develop some work ethics ( Ian Schultz syndrome)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
ISS has Virtanen at 7 but Button puts him at 43 on his list! I know Button is out to lunch half the time, but what's the explanation for having him so low?

button see's him as a bottom 6 raffi torres type player which is why he has him that low.
remember torres went #5 overall in his draft year too and he was an exceptional skater/physical player too.

Last edited:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Here are my top 26 players in the draft in order of who I want the Habs to pick.

1-Aaron Ekblad
2-Sam Reinhart
3-Leon Draisaitl
4-Sam Bennett
5-Michael Dal Colle
6-Jake Virtanen
7-William Nylander
8-Nick Ritchie
9-Brendan Perlini
10-Haydn Fleury
11-Alex Tuch
12-Nickolaj Ehlers
13-Kevin Fiala
14-Travis Sanheim
15-Kasperi Kapanen
16-Adrian Kempe
17-Jared McCann
18-Ivan Barbashev
19-Roland McKeown
20-Robbi Fabbri
21-Nikita Scherbak
22-Sonny Milano
23-Josh Ho-Sang
24-Nikolay Goldobim
25-Connor Bleackley
26-Dylan Larkin

Go ahead and comment on who you want or who was left off my list.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Larkin is about 10 spots too low..

Also, unrelated to the above list, was their actual confirmation on what DeAngelo said? I don't believe there were any African Americans on the Sting, there were a couple Russians however..

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Here are my top 26 players in the draft in order of who I want the Habs to pick.

1-Aaron Ekblad
2-Sam Reinhart
3-Leon Draisaitl
4-Sam Bennett
5-Michael Dal Colle
6-Jake Virtanen
7-William Nylander
8-Nick Ritchie
9-Brendan Perlini
10-Haydn Fleury
11-Alex Tuch
12-Nickolaj Ehlers
13-Kevin Fiala
14-Travis Sanheim
15-Kasperi Kapanen
16-Adrian Kempe
17-Jared McCann
18-Ivan Barbashev
19-Roland McKeown
20-Robbi Fabbri
21-Nikita Scherbak
22-Sonny Milano
23-Josh Ho-Sang
24-Nikolay Goldobim
25-Connor Bleackley
26-Dylan Larkin

Get Goldobim off that list and add Goldobin! ;)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

1-Aaron Ekblad
2-Sam Reinhart
3-Leon Draisaitl
4-Sam Bennett
5-Michael Dal Colle
6-Jake Virtanen
7-William Nylander
8-Nick Ritchie
9-Brendan Perlini
10-Haydn Fleury
11-Alex Tuch
12-Nickolaj Ehlers
13-Kevin Fiala
14-Travis Sanheim
15-Kasperi Kapanen
16-Adrian Kempe
17-Jared McCann
18-Ivan Barbashev
19-Roland McKeown
20-Robbi Fabbri
21-Nikita Scherbak
22-Sonny Milano
23-Josh Ho-Sang
24-Nikolay Goldobim
25-Connor Bleackley
26-Dylan Larkin

Larkin is this year's Lazar, NHL teams drool over these kind of players. All in all it's a good list tho, i think Pastrnak and Vrana are gonna be in the top 26.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
Larkin is about 10 spots too low..

Also, unrelated to the above list, was their actual confirmation on what DeAngelo said? I don't believe there were any African Americans on the Sting, there were a couple Russians however..

I think the most likely scenario is homophobic slurs, though that's just me guessing based on my experiences playing hockey. That being said, casual homophobia seems so common in most locker rooms that it must really have been out of hand for anyone to take serious notice.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What do you guys think about Maxim Lazarev as a late round pick? I was kinda surprised that no one picked either him, Ivan Nikolishin or Radel Fazleev in the Habs annual mock draft.
All 3 of them have been doing well in the CHL and internationally for Russia. I personally really like Ivan Nikolishin.. but yea there's always gonna be the size issue, he's a hard working player tho (dad's an ex NHL'er aswell).

Last edited:

Saintpatrick*

I haven't really been following the prospect pool that much this year. 2 questions;

1. Is this a fairly deep draft this year and is moving up worth it?

2. When we traded our 2nd round pick in the Vanek deal I thought it was conditional to him signing with us. Could someone clarify this for me please

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I haven't really been following the prospect pool that much this year. 2 questions;

1. Is this a fairly deep draft this year and is moving up worth it?

2. When we traded our 2nd round pick in the Vanek deal I thought it was conditional to him signing with us. Could someone clarify this for me please

If we made the playoffs they got the second.

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
very unlikely, Timmins told a few people (like Steph Leroux) he wouldn't have drafted him at #25. May not have drafted him with his first second rounder either.

Wasn't it Rychel? There was a lot of speculation around him if I'm not mistaken.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Wasn't it Rychel? There was a lot of speculation around him if I'm not mistaken.

that would be my guess. Looks like the Habs ended up with McCarron ahead of Gauthier, so one of Poirer (though probably more targeted with the first second round pick), McCarron or Rycher would be the choice at 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad