2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Interresting conversation about McCarron. If I understand, McCarron need to improve a lot next year, and maybe the next one too, to convince us that he can be a good NHL player.

It's telling me that the Habs don't have, for now, a lot of talented players in the prospect pool to build a future strong team like LA, Chicago, Anaheim, Boston, etc.
We have some excellent young players already in the team (Subban, Price, Galcheniuk, Paccioretty, Gallagher, and maybe Bournival as a role player), so we have a good basis. We have some good prospects almost there (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Tokasky, Pateryn). We also have some deep for the bottom 6 and no. 5-6 or 7 D (Crisp, Holland, Vail, Gregoire, Ellis, etc.) but not a lot of sure elite talents (top 6, top 4D). Some got potential (McCarron, Hudon, De La Rose, Andrighetto, Bozon, Thrower, Dietz, etc.), but they are still long shots and only time will tell if they will be good enough for the NHL, or at the best, role players.

So what do we need for the next draft? The best players availables, yes. But we definitily need top 6 talent, with size if possible, and it will probably be the same for the draft of 2015.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Speed and skill. Size is a bonus but overratted.

I tend to agree with your overall assessment but given the number of undersized players with skill currently is our pool I'd say that there should be a size consideration. Not saying that size trumps skill and work ethic but that we probably shouldn't be drafting someone who is less than 5'10".

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Those speedy smurfs from LA are making a good case for not drafting big players :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I tend to agree with your overall assessment but given the number of undersized players with skill currently is our pool I'd say that there should be a size consideration. Not saying that size trumps skill and work ethic but that we probably shouldn't be drafting someone who is less than 5'10".

While we do have a number of small and skilled forward prospects, I don't find that we have many exceptionnal skaters, if any. That's my main problem with our current crop.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I still dream of a offensive power forward for this years draft. This is definitely agood year to find one in the top 20. We need a trade up (I don't include the top6-7 of every mock draft = cost too much...).

Nick Ritchie
Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini
Alex Tuch
Adrien Kempe

or even :
Kevin Fiala
Nikita Sherbak

If Timmins could have a pick between 10 and 20...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I still dream of a offensive power forward for this years draft. This is definitely agood year to find one in the top 20. We need a trade up (I don't include the top6-7 of every mock draft = cost too much...).

Nick Ritchie
Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini
Alex Tuch
Adrien Kempe

or even :
Kevin Fiala
Nikita Sherbak

sherbak looks really interesting to me, from everything I've seen. I'm just not sure why so many have him ranked in the 20-30 range. He looks better than that, imo. Maybe someone else in here can fill me in.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
sherbak looks really interesting to me, from everything I've seen. I'm just not sure why so many have him ranked in the 20-30 range. He looks better than that, imo. Maybe someone else in here can fill me in.

I don't know but maybe it's the Russian factor :dunno: It's a stupid reason to not draft a player imo. If he or Barbashev drop to us that would be great.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
What happened to Pepin this year? He seems to have dropped a lot over the last year.

He was very liked last season, mainly because of his physical play and his size. But he began this season with over 20 pounds... of fat. He doesn't work hard in the gym and on the ice. He is very inconsistent. He doesn't have a good hockey sense. But he is physical and he has size and you can't teach that... well, the size at least. He has a good shot too. He is a little bit the Byfuglien of the Q, talented (at least the wrist shot) lazy fatso. I would take him in the 6th/7th round if he is still there... maybe in the 5th. He is a big disappointment, but I knew last year that he wouldn't go top-2 rounds because he has a poor hockey sense.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
He was very liked last season, mainly because of his physical play and his size. But he began this season with over 20 pounds... of fat. He doesn't work hard in the gym and on the ice. He is very inconsistent. He doesn't have a good hockey sense. But he is physical and he has size and you can't teach that... well, the size at least. He has a good shot too. He is a little bit the Byfuglien of the Q, talented (at least the wrist shot) lazy fatso. I would take him in the 6th/7th round if he is still there... maybe in the 5th. He is a big disappointment, but I knew last year that he wouldn't go top-2 rounds because he has a poor hockey sense.

Thanks! He seemed to have a lot of hype coming into the Q, drafted 2nd overall. But his lack of dedication has really hurt him.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

Nick Ritchie
Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini
Alex Tuch
Adrien Kempe

or even :
Kevin Fiala
Nikita Sherbak

I think there is Anton Karlsson that could be available where we pick, if we do not trade up.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I think there is Anton Karlsson that could be available where we pick, if we do not trade up.

Could be a good pick if we are looking for a good energy guy for the 3rd or 4th line.
Not a bad pick. But if we are looking for a top 6, not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad