2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
Wonder how people would change their player evaluation if Ho-Sang had a Russian name.

I actually think Ho-Sang reminds me a bit of David Perron. The kind of talent that probably won't slip out of the 1st round despite serious questions about immaturity.

The thing about Perron was that he had all the skill in the world but was, in essence, so uncoachable in midget/junior that he had to toil in lower leagues until he finally got his act together in his draft year. His meteoric rise from Junior AAA, to the Q, to the pros in the span of two years was impressive, but likely would not have happened but for his own abrasiveness. But despite all that, Perron still had that compete level and fire that drove him to succeed, and once his brain caught up to the rest of his skillset, he flourished as an NHLer.

While Ho Sang doesn't have the same reputation off the ice, I see alot of immaturity in the way he played the game (the kid has grown up in the Youtube generation after all and was more celebrated for his stick handling than anything else). The strides he's taken in shoring up his defensive game lead me to conclude he has the ability to develop that area. Same for his off ice conditioning, which was probably never pushed on him as hard as his skill development was while growing up.

I'd still be uncomfortable if the Habs called his name on draft day, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to a successful NHL career.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
article_a5780686-2e87-4a15-a6a4-7ba4199ed064.jpg

this gives you a good idea of what our pick is worth and what we could potentially get for it

the best realistic value we could get for our pick is san jose's #51 + #53
buffalo's #31 + #61 would be +200 value over our #26, their #49 + #61 would be fair value
nashville's #42 + #72 is also fair value

if you watch this: http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722857 you can hear Jarmo Kekalainen mentioning the draft value chart when they refused a trade

so yea.. you guys shouldnt expect to get #31 + #39 or even #49 back for our 1st

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

this gives you a good idea of what our pick is worth and what we could potentially get for it

buffalo's #31 + #61 would be +200 value over our #26, their #49 + #61 would be fair value

if you watch this: http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722857 you can hear Jarmo Kekalainen mentioning the draft value chart when they refused a trade

that's nfl btw

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

At least when Jarmo is the GM of Columbus, how much true value is represented by the 3000 players taken for their purposes. The Tyler Wright vs Pavel Bure and Wright's pick can be construed in many ways, as can the other deductions, depending upon the team drafting. The Habs having their own ideas that can be constructed over all drafts going to the 1963 draft and thousands more not including players that went the college route, very difficult to judge, more a guideline to follow each draft under pressure rather than accuracy under scrutiny IMHO.:nod: It's the old don't get caught with your pants down routine, either carry them with you or don't get caught.lol

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I didn't, I read a good article somewhere that measured the complete value of NHL picks in draft trades in the past decade or so. I'll try to find it for you.

The problem being that each year the values of players change and don't match the graphs as people/athletes don't usually.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

This means nothing....this would depend on a million different variables...what players are in the draft....every single one....which have been taken already...who your gm is...how smart your gm is....you cant just put a number on this....if theres an elite player and trevor timmins thinks its not worth it to listen to this chart to move up.....MOVE UP

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This means nothing....this would depend on a million different variables...what players are in the draft....every single one....which have been taken already...who your gm is...how smart your gm is....you cant just put a number on this....if theres an elite player and trevor timmins thinks its not worth it to listen to this chart to move up.....MOVE UP

Kinda agree with you. You cannot take a chart and apply it for every year. Do people seriously believe that the #1 pick this year is equal in value than the #1 next year. Or anybody from the top 5? And then, a head scout might love WAY more a guy than the value indicates etc. And then there is of course how great or bad those guys are, the human factor.

Kekalainen has to be one of the best minds in the business and while he might have been interested to know what the chart says, it can't be his only way of thinking.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Goldobin in the 1st. Then, everybody becomes dumb and let us pick DeAngelo in the 3rd. I really can't believe that DeAngelo could drop pass mid 2nd round. I prefer you miss while picking an elite player than you miss by not picking him for other reasons unless he killed someone....

Honestly....there will be because other players will be there....but DeAngelo needs to get some serous considerations late 1st round. Beginning of the 2nd round is fine too based on size. Wonder how much people think the guy could move at the forward position.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Goldobin in the 1st. Then, everybody becomes dumb and let us pick DeAngelo in the 3rd. I really can't believe that DeAngelo could drop pass mid 2nd round. I prefer you miss while picking an elite player than you miss by not picking him for other reasons unless he killed someone....

Honestly....there will be because other players will be there....but DeAngelo needs to get some serous considerations late 1st round. Beginning of the 2nd round is fine too based on size. Wonder how much people think the guy could move at the forward position.

It seems to be a weak draft for D. Do you think that will factor into how high Sanheim may go? Or do you think others ranked in the 2nd round could sneak into the 1st if someone wants a D?

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
ISS has Virtanen at 7 but Button puts him at 43 on his list! I know Button is out to lunch half the time, but what's the explanation for having him so low?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I think that would be a draft that would piss me off. Two guys I don't really want anything to do with. I doubt we take DeAngelo on the board even in the 3rd, the guy was suspended twice for racial slurs toward his own teammates...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
It would be interesting to know who Bergevin was targeting at #19 last year especially since Mueller was just drafted.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
It seems to be a weak draft for D. Do you think that will factor into how high Sanheim may go? Or do you think others ranked in the 2nd round could sneak into the 1st if someone wants a D?

Surely, there might not be top-end D available, but quite a few D with untapped potential like Pettersson, Thomas, Mayo, Irving, Jacobs, Siebnaler, and quite a few others. I think that this year won't be a year to remember....but I believe that it will still serve a purpose to fill up teams with a #4-#6 d-men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad