Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I posted an interview from a couple of months ago where the goalie coach said the same exact thing. He also has not signed an extension yet, which gives more credence to the theory.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Cool post. Yakov Smirnoff and making fun of the way Russians speak English. Very topical! :rolleyes:
Sorry I offended you, don’t take it personally it’s just a silly joke. I didn’t even know who Smirnoff was, just used an old stupid internet meme I’ve seen specifically on the boards here and reversed it. Accents/broken English are offensive? Bad taste?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I remember being surprised that Valiquette didn't seem to be terribly high on him.

After that Dallas game he should never be able to critique a young, up and coming goalie whom has more talent at 23 than this dude EVER HAD.

I love Val’s views most of the time, even though he is clearly taking douche lessons from Duguay.

I’ve been waiting for this kid for years and I want to see what he’s got in the best league in the world.

EDIT***

Are we seriously sensoring a feminine hygiene product?

COME AWNN!!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sorry I offended you, don’t take it personally it’s just a silly joke. I didn’t even know who Smirnoff was, just used an old stupid internet meme I’ve seen specifically on the boards here and reversed it. Accents/broken English are offensive? Bad taste?
Probably just me being overly-PC, so, I guess no harm, no foul.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wonder why, did he specify?

If I recall, it was something about positioning compared to a goalie was getting lucky because of reflexes and being able to get a body part on the puck.

Then he talked about how the KHL game is different, more of an east-west game, and that goalies don't often see a lot of reminds how high traffic shots.

I think what made things worse is that Vally has tendency to give off a weird, somewhat unlikable vibe at times. So even if what he's saying has validity, there's almost this instinctual urge to resist.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If I recall, it was something about positioning compared to a goalie was getting lucky because of reflexes and being able to get a body part on the puck.

Then he talked about how the KHL game is different, more of an east-west game, and that goalies don't often see a lot of reminds how high traffic shots.

I think what made things worse is that Vally has tendency to give off a weird, somewhat unlikable vibe at times. So even if what he's saying has validity, there's almost this instinctual urge to resist.
I mean, that sounds correct, no? It doesn't mean he won't be good here, but the style and types of shots he sees are probably fairly different.

Also I guess it's just me but I never got an unlikeable vibe from Valliquette.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It seemed pretty baseless. More than anything he seemed bitter about his KHL experience and tried saying that what happens over there is essentially unreliable to predict NHL performance.

Here's Valiquette on Shesterkin: Valiquette Breaks Down Rangers Goalie Prospect Shestyorkin - MSGNetworks.com

I don't agree with Vally at all. However, the suggestion that Vally somehow seemed bitter about his KHL experience? Eh, that seems like a bunch of bullshit to me. He didn't really say much at all about his KHL experience. He talked about the differences between the KHL and NHL briefly, but nothing more. I sense bitterness from someone who doesn't like a guy shit-talking one of his favorite players. Unless there's some other video I'm not seeing?

Anyway, even if his point was that KHL production is an unreliable predictor of NHL production, he's not really wrong. It's true for every league that's not the NHL. How well guys will translate is pretty volatile.

Last edited:

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I wonder if his view goes along with our management's one... Usually you see our analysts being management's mouth.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wonder if his view goes along with our management's one... Usually you see our analysts being management's mouth.
I suppose it's possible, however the one thing that I've always appreciated about Vally (and I think others, as well) is that he's pretty independent-minded. He never seems like a mouthpiece; the stuff he says always strikes me as authentic.

As to the "luck" element with Shesterkin--can't buy it. Sure, he uses Hammond as an example of how you can be lucky over 20+ games. But Shesterkin has been dominant through multiple KHL seasons, in the VHL, MHL, international competitions, junior tournaments, etc. Basically everywhere he has played, he has excelled. So I don't see it as a luck/succeeding in a certain environment thing. He's just really good. Will it translate? I feel very strongly that it will, but who knows.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Thanks for the info. I don’t get that vibe from him but I can understand how others might, he’s occasionally got this little smile/look that says ‘it may feel like we’re having a discussion, but we both know who’s really right here’.

I don’t really watch KHL to know play style (stereotypes not included) but his point though sounds like a good one. Positioning and reading the play are all a goalie has when facing a multi-screened bomb/deflection from the point. If that’s off then you’re screwed in the NHL. Wonder what Igor’s advanced metrics show in that regard...

I remember Hank’s first few games spelling Weekes, and Sam and JD were gushing at his east-west quickness. I also remember an early interview with Lundqvist where he said the biggest differences between the NHL and elsewhere is (of course) the speed of the game, but he also said NHL players attempt, and were much more successful at, the cross seam east-west pass, hence his deeper style of play. That period was immediately following the ‘04 lockout with tons of interference and obstruction penalties called which might have influenced the play and his opinion. Interesting because it’s kind of the opposite of what Vally said.

Knowing how Hank handled the NHL locked out players on Sweden the season before gave me complete confidence that his abilities would translate. Would have loved to see Igor do the same at the Olympics last year.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I suppose it's possible, however the one thing that I've always appreciated about Vally (and I think others, as well) is that he's pretty independent-minded. He never seems like a mouthpiece; the stuff he says always strikes me as authentic.

As to the "luck" element with Shesterkin--can't buy it. Sure, he uses Hammond as an example of how you can be lucky over 20+ games. But Shesterkin has been dominant through multiple KHL seasons, in the VHL, MHL, international competitions, junior tournaments, etc. Basically everywhere he has played, he has excelled. So I don't see it as a luck/succeeding in a certain environment thing. He's just really good. Will it translate? I feel very strongly that it will, but who knows.
Might be how I read it, but Vally wasn’t saying he’s lucky and that’s why he’s excelled. He’s saying his weaknesses will get magnified 10 fold in the NHL where screened shots and traffic in front are significantly more common. By lucky, he means he’s lucky that he hasn’t had to face that all that much (relatively) and get exposed. But Igor is still so young and raw that even if what Vally said was/is true, I’m confident his positioning will improve with time and Allaire’s guidance.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I remember being surprised that Valiquette didn't seem to be terribly high on him.

Valley has the same concerns I have. Zero competition for him. Hasn’t carried the bulk of games for SKA and hasn’t done much when not playing for SKA. Also I know so many here scream bloody murder at me for saying it but he’s undersized. It’s an issue he’ll need to overcome. Quick Hank and now Raanta are the only 3 starters in the NHL under 6’1 or shorter.

Obviously very talented but ALOT to prove. Valley has Georgiev ahead of him right now.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I wonder where the word "theme" came from. It probably was a translation of the word "tyema" which means "topic".
Theme is more poetic, almost philosophical, I like it. Igor’s future in the NHL is more than a topic, it is a discussion to have through the night over a good bottle(s) of wine.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad