Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Third round was definitely reasonable. If we're using TSN/Mac as the gold standard, they had Rodrigue as the top G at 49 and he went at 62. Then they had Skarek at 56 and he went 72.

Reactions: Kovalev27

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yep... I don't expect to see him until September next year.

I sometimes wonder if the Rangers even liked any of the usual names we hear that were available around when we picked in the 2nd. That being said, I think we did well enough in the entire rest of the draft that this doesn't bother me much.

That's the thing. It's basically like saying that their alternative (to Lindbom) selection would've been Keane, Pajuniemi or Ragnarsson anyway.

So if Gorton and Co. knew that the skaters they liked would be available in later rounds, and conversely, were not sure if Lindbom would, then logically they were right to make him their selection in the 2nd round. It also says that they didn't like other goalies or other skaters.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I didn't like the Lindbom pick, but what evidence do you have to support the claim that the Rangers drafted him based solely on one tournament? I mean, come on. The Rangers make their fair share of poor picks, like any other team, but I don't think it's for lack of scouting the players.

As for why you draft Lindbom, it's because no one is a sure thing until they're actually performing at the anticipated level. Shesterkin is as close to a sure thing as there is, but that doesn't mean it's impossible that he busts. Now that doesn't mean you go drafting raw, young goalies in the second round, but it's fine for the team to keep the cupboard stocked. Had they picked the kid in the fourth or later I would have been fine with it.

Because that is the only reasonable explanation for taking him so high. The rest of his year was average at best. He was not considered the top goalie or even the top euro goalie for that matter. He almost definitely did not warrant a second round pick. The only thing that made him stand out was that U18 tournament.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Because that is the only reasonable explanation for taking him so high. The rest of his year was average at best. He was not considered the top goalie or even the top euro goalie for that matter. He almost definitely did not warrant a second round pick. The only thing that made him stand out was that U18 tournament.
Getting worked up over those rankings is pointless. Just go looked at the previous track records of NA and Euro goalie rankings, and the rankings hardly are a predictor of anything. If anything, they show that predicting goalie success is incredibly difficult and ISS has a terrible track record.

Igor was the 7th Euro ranked goalie and that's with a dominant U18s and MHL draft season. These rankings are hardly gospel.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I agree which is why you don’t rush to draft an unheralded goalie in the top 40 picks of that draft.

Unless you fell in love over a tournament.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I agree which is why you don’t rush to draft an unheralded goalie in the top 40 picks of that draft.

Unless you fell in love over a tournament.
The Halverson pick in the 2nd not too long ago should've scared them off, there was legit talent on the board left at this point and a handful of decent goalie prospects already in the pool. They pissed away a few seconds recently and needed to make this one count. Not sure how this pick can be defended like it is.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The Halverson pick in the 2nd not too long ago should've scared them off, there was legit talent on the board left at this point and a handful of decent goalie prospects already in the pool. They pissed away a few seconds recently and needed to make this one count. Not sure how this pick can be defended like it is.
I don’t think anyone likes it, but it’s far from the end world. I mean, they added a buuunch of prospects in the last few months and he was the 4th pick they made in the draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Let's nip this 4th round talk in the bud again.

There is no evidence to suggest that he'd be available in the 4th. We had certain guys rank him as a 4th round talent, but there's no evidence to suggest he would've been available, then.

Once McKenzie's list came out, that much was obvious. He had him as a top-60 pick for a reason. McKenzie is only going to rank guys in the top 60 if he has multiple team sources telling him that they are interested in that player in the 2nd round. Is he infallible? No, not in the least. But McKenzie had multiple people that actually work in the NHL for teams (and close to the draft process) saying that he would be taken in the 2nd round.

Do I like the pick? No. I never did. However, all of the evidence points to him as either a 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder.

This board is having a really hard time accepting that the team actually values some of the picks/prospects they have and that they're not just making picks from knee jerk reactions or whims.

Andersson wasn't a panic pick.

Lindbom wasn't based on a whim or a single tournament.

Kravtsov being picked doesn't mean the Rangers didn't like other prospects as well.

There were no magical deals the Rangers turned down at the deadline for better prospects/picks.

Etc., etc., etc.

This is how we end up with rumors and innuendos that have to be chased down 10 years later.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Shestyorkin grew up in Moscow and now lives in STP which are the 2 most international cities in Russia.
Get ready for an HF special: reading too much into something of little consequence!

It feels as if the quote being in English underlies his international aspirations. And by international aspirations I don’t only mean olympics/WC, because the national nature of those events would more likely inspire his national language aka Russian. Igor’s got big plans and I love it.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
When the King retires, Igor can become the Czar, not a second before. Other than that, obviously better than Prince Chad, no need to hope.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I’m not sure, but I think it’s overplayed how little English some of them know.

Yeah I'd assume that guys who think they'd be heading international at some point would probably have pretty good language skills, especially guys who have a few years between the draft and coming over. It wasn't a question about so much about whether he could speak English; more why would you bother when you, your team, the fans and likely the guy doing the helmet job all speak/read Russian. Maybe English is just easier to print and that quote looks better in English

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I'd assume that guys who think they'd be heading international at some point would probably have pretty good language skills, especially guys who have a few years between the draft and coming over. It wasn't a question about so much about whether he could speak English; more why would you bother when you, your team, the fans and likely the guy doing the helmet job all speak/read Russian. Maybe English is just easier to print and that quote looks better in English

I think people also need to realize that guys like Shestyorkin are born in the late 90s, grew up in the age of the internet, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, where the world was already more and more aimed at becoming a global society.

This isn't like Kovalev, Zubov, Bure etc who did not learn any English until they were moving to NA.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Probably worth noting that the "dream" that the quote refers to is meant to be realized in North America. Could be added significance to using English.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

To clarify, I wasn't stating that you were questioning whether he could speak english. I was just stating that I think many really underestimate how much English these guys actually know. Obviously its different to know English words, phrases, to read English and to actually interact day to day in English in your work environment, but all these Russian guys learned English in school to begin with. And its near impossible to consume popular culture nowadays and not see some English on a daily basis.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know a couple native Russians and they have told me it's very difficult to learn English since the pronunciations and structures are so dissimilar. So even if they "know" a lot of the language it's still very difficult to use. They also said that foreign languages are compulsory but you have a choice and don't have to choose English. It's like kids on the US taking Spanish, unless they move to a Spanish-speaking country for a year they don't really know the language or can't really use it.

They also told me that Russian TV has no English-speaking channels and even English-spoken movies are dubbed. However these guys have been gone for 20 years, so I don't know if this is still accurate. They estimated however that among their generation maybe only 10% of people could actually communicate properly in English. That's probably increasing, but again these two guys have been gone for a while. They also said when they grew up it also really depended on what city (if any city) you lived and went to school in.

We were literally having this conversation last week (it was part of a larger political discussion) so it's fresh in my mind, LOL.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know a couple native Russians and they have told me it's very difficult to learn English since the pronunciations and structures are so dissimilar. So even if they "know" a lot of the language it's still very difficult to use. They also said that foreign languages are compulsory but you have a choice and don't have to choose English. It's like kids on the US taking Spanish, unless they move to a Spanish-speaking country for a year they don't really know the language or can't really use it.

They also told me that Russian TV has no English-speaking channels and even English-spoken movies are dubbed. However these guys have been gone for 20 years, so I don't know if this is still accurate. They estimated however that among their generation maybe only 10% of people could actually communicate properly in English. That's probably increasing, but again these two guys have been gone for a while. They also said when they grew up it also really depended on what city (if any city) you lived and went to school in.

We were literally having this conversation last week (it was part of a larger political discussion) so it's fresh in my mind, LOL.

With globalization, information and technology advancements things have changed significantly everywhere around the world and Russia is no exception. Among young people in urban regions English is something of a necessity or a common tool for communication with peers.

Reactions: nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad