GDT: 2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - Rounds 2-7 9:00 AM NHLN

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Arvidsson was my favorite player in the SHL this season. I think he will be a solid NHL player if he is given a shot. Arvidsson was draft eligible last year and went undrafted. He followed that up with a strong season in the SHL with Skellefteå. Putting up 40 points in 50 games as a 20 year old. He is a smaller player (5'9", 180 lbs) but more than makes up for it on the ice. He is good both offensively and defensively. His skating and hands allow him to be an offensive threat at any time. He is also a player that turns it up when it matters (16 points in 14 games in this years playoffs).

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden

Good pick!

One of the fan signs in the video says "We have snowmobiles". The chant in the end is "Viktor Arvidsson is so f great, Viktor Arvidsson cha la la la la"

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

Good pick!

One of the fan signs in the video says "We have snowmobiles". The chant in the end is "Viktor Arvidsson is so f great, Viktor Arvidsson cha la la la la"

I hate judging off of highlights, but...woah. Some nasty plays in there. He looks incredibly fast, and I love that he uses a fake shot a lot. As a goalie, I always struggle with those and think they're underutilized, so that's good to see.

Again, it's a highlight reel, but I also like the forechecking. He created a few turnovers and buried them.

His celebrations are great too. Reminds me of Yakupov in that regard. Kinda nice to see some fire.

Teekko

Mar 5, 2011
Vancouver
Joonas Lyytinen - D

2013-2014 KALPA FINLAND 30 3 6 9
2013-2014 KALPA JR. FINLAND-JR. 24 7 17 24

Looks like an offensive dman

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Lyytinen is a very good pick. Super skinny but was able to play in SM-Liiga already. Good skater and nice puck skills. Kinda like Ellis but left shot.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Aho, Tkachev and Kase available still, 3rd-4th rounders by some coming into the draft. Would be nice to snag one in the 6th.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Lyytinen is a very good pick. Super skinny but was able to play in SM-Liiga already. Good skater and nice puck skills. Kinda like Ellis but left shot.

appreciate the info! not the biggest fan of ellis so hopefully this guy adds some size :laugh:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The #Preds select Aaron Irving at #162 as their last pick, unless a trade goes down they are done.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The jury is out on the MDZ trade although the value was likely even.

That said, the trade acquisitions have been top notch post-lockout.

UFA .... not so much.

Seth Jones and Fiala are too very solid picks in back to back years. Exciting tandem. Fiala looks really good, and the scouting report is unlike any prospect we have. Speed, hands, IQ, skill, skill, skill.

We need to see how well (ok, if) MDZ pans out and how Stalberg performs under Lavy to assess the recent moves. Cullen did what Cullen does .. nothing flashy, but solid play most nights. Nystrom did well on a 3rd line. Hendricks ... well, he's gone and that roster spot is open for a kid who can do more than kill penalties.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
just think... one more loss and we're sitting here with an ehlers or ritchie instead of a fiala. no disrespect towards fiala cause i like him but that hot streak at the end got us out of the second tier of talent imo. overall, I'm pleased with our draft as it seems poile took a few risks in changing our drafting tendencies. although after the first round, i don't know too much about the prospects other than minimal. so I'm trusting poile and our scouts. now on to free agency.. and it might sound crazy but id still like to add 2 top 6 forwards. we got neal but we got rid of hornqvist. lots of work still to be done. go all out for spezza or stastny. i prefer stastny for the obvious reasons of giving up zero assets and he would be signed long term.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

Good pick!

Oh man. Ohhhhhhhh man. Arvidsson looks like a talent. Fast, good hands, and a wicked shot. He won't have the time and space he did in Sweden, but I'm not sure that will detract from his game much. He seemed right at home along the boards and in high-traffic areas. I'm not sure his size will be much of an issue; he's small, but he isn't weak. He reminds me a lot of Tyler Ennis.

I hope we can get him over here soon.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
just think... one more loss and we're sitting here with an ehlers or ritchie instead of a fiala. no disrespect towards fiala cause i like him but that hot streak at the end got us out of the second tier of talent imo. overall, I'm pleased with our draft as it seems poile took a few risks in changing our drafting tendencies. although after the first round, i don't know too much about the prospects other than minimal. so I'm trusting poile and our scouts. now on to free agency.. and it might sound crazy but id still like to add 2 top 6 forwards. we got neal but we got rid of hornqvist. lots of work still to be done. go all out for spezza or stastny. i prefer stastny for the obvious reasons of giving up zero assets and he would be signed long term.
One or two more wins in the right games (vs Dallas late in the season for example) and the team sneaks into the playoffs on a hot streak. It was that close to a dramatic difference in drafting either way.

I don't really see a big difference in drafting strategy this year from recent summers. Last year it was BPA when Jones fell to us with 5 forwards taken including Girard now under contract. The year before was Aberg, Sissons, Vesey, Leipsic, Stepan out the gate .. five forwards in a row. Before that was and Shalla as two of our first three picks ... Watson as our 1st rounder in 2010. '09 was a year that produced four forwards that made NHL rosters so far (Beck, Latta, Bourque, Smith) while our top forward pick waits in Milwaukee (Budish).

The Preds catch message board hell for allegedly only drafting goalies and (small) defensemen when the reality is a bit different.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Arvidsson looks like a hell of a talent

I love all our picks

I love Neal

I hate Spezza, but that's ok cause I'd rather have Stastny!

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Scott Cullen ‏@tsnscottcullen 51m
I don't know all 210 players drafted, not by a long shot, but by stats/profiles, I like the looks of STL, NSH, TB, VAN, LA, CBJ drafts.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I Just wanted to say the Preds had a great draft. Fiala will be a star, Dougherty is a personal favourite of mine and Kirkland will be a solid top 9 player. Then I really liked the Neal trade for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad