GDT: 2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - Rounds 2-7 9:00 AM NHLN

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm saying this only because I think he's one of the top 3 prospects but I want the Deutchland Dangler. Give me Leon!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I don't know enough about individuals, but I know that after Ekblad, it's supposed to be all forwards for quite awhile. So one of those guys.

Interesting note: Our top 10 prospects according HF's recent article are, by position:

D
LW
LW
LW
C
D
C
LW
LW
G

We badly need young RWs. A top line C is obviously a need, but if we take a wing, RW would be much preferred. The problem? No top 10 projected RWs. All C, LW, and D.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I'd be happy if the preds drafted any of the following

Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Ehlers
Ritchie
Nylander

Unless Bennett or Reinhart somehow fall hard or we win the lottery they are all solid C/W prospects with huge offensive upside. Would really like to see us try and trade up to a late first and go after someone like Ho-Sang, though he could also potentially fall to us early in the second round as well. Really, I just want to see the team be aggressive about going after young offensive talent with our blue line and GK good to go for quite awhile.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Reinhart would be a dream come true, and a lot of rankings have him falling a bit. We could really use a C. Doubt he falls to us unless we REALLY tank.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
right now we are 6th in the draft order. we have 6 more points than the #5 Isles, and we just got our all world goalie back. Even if we bring uo a bunch of kids, I foresee Carolina ending up worse than us in the standings.

I think the 7 spot is about the best we can hope for. Who do you draft gurus see being available at 7?

Maybe this is the year that lightning strikes for our franchise and we win the draft lottery.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I don't know enough about individuals, but I know that after Ekblad, it's supposed to be all forwards for quite awhile. So one of those guys.

Interesting note: Our top 10 prospects according HF's recent article are, by position:

D
LW
LW
LW
C
D
C
LW
LW
G

We badly need young RWs. A top line C is obviously a need, but if we take a wing, RW would be much preferred. The problem? No top 10 projected RWs. All C, LW, and D.

Kasperi Kapanen-RW

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Nick Riitchie looks to be a fast riser. Big, skilled dude with attitude.

Nylander and Dal Colle look good too.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
With Fish likely to retire you have to think DP will be forced to go with a center. Even if the rest of the year is poor I don't see us picking better than 6 and Reinhart and Bennett will be gone so Nylander looks to be the one. Heck Why not pick another Swed. Any outside Reinhart Ekblad will take some time to develop. Our luck Ekblad falls like last year and DP does the old best player available thing.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
With Fish likely to retire you have to think DP will be forced to go with a center. Even if the rest of the year is poor I don't see us picking better than 6 and Reinhart and Bennett will be gone so Nylander looks to be the one. Heck Why not pick another Swed. Any outside Reinhart Ekblad will take some time to develop. Our luck Ekblad falls like last year and DP does the old best player available thing.

In which case we run 3D and 2F :laugh:

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
If we don't win the lottery and to get Sam Reinhart then I hope they pick Nylander if he is still there. That kid is going to be good.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
If we don't win the lottery and to get Sam Reinhart then I hope they pick Nylander if he is still there. That kid is going to be good.

Reinhart apparently dropped to 4th in one of the most recent rankings ... I'd love for us to actually pick up Nylander, apparently he has the best Hockey IQ and is blazing fast

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
To put this draft in perspective, I've seen more than once that the top ranked prospect (be it Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, or whomever) would likely have gone 5th or 6th in last year's draft.

That's not to say we won't get a quality player in the top ten, but there's really not a superstar talent in this draft.

My hunch says that if Nylander is there, we take him. We like our Swedes, and he's got a really nice offensive skillset.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
To put this draft in perspective, I've seen more than once that the top ranked prospect (be it Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, or whomever) would likely have gone 5th or 6th in last year's draft.

That's not to say we won't get a quality player in the top ten, but there's really not a superstar talent in this draft.

My hunch says that if Nylander is there, we take him. We like our Swedes, and he's got a really nice offensive skillset.

Seems like a Poile move.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Nobody thought Girioux was going to be a star at 22nd. Or Kopitar at 10. Or Benn, Lucic, Krejeci, etc in later rounds.

It's been 15 years. We have to find a way to draft offense.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nobody thought Girioux was going to be a star at 22nd. Or Kopitar at 10. Or Benn, Lucic, Krejeci, etc in later rounds.

Agreed. There was no reason not to take a risk on an Eberle in the last 15 years.

The more forwards the draft the higher the odds of him being a 60+ point player. We just need to be keep drafting forwards.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Haydn Fleury will be the pick:shakehead

Im gonna get jumped on for this but wont be the worst thing in the world we have allot more forward depth on prospects then we do on d. As we only have 1 d prospect worth talking about at this point. Though we do have a good young d core. If rather one of the high offence center prospects with our first but we should take a d with the 2nd round. We need to reload on the long term d

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Im gonna get jumped on for this but wont be the worst thing in the world we have allot more forward depth on prospects then we do on d. As we only have 1 d prospect worth talking about at this point. Though we do have a good young d core. If rather one of the high offence center prospects with our first but we should take a d with the 2nd round. We need to reload on the long term d

Agreed. We need high end forwards and depth on d. Take a F in the 1st, then lock up D later.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

I understand your point, to an extent (Lucic was projected as a first round pick and went high in the second, Kopitar was seen as a top 5 pick that fell to 10 due to his unconventional country of origin--Poile also said a couple months after that draft that Kopitar was a player they liked and tried to trade up to pick, but LA took him a little higher than they expected)

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00