2014 Mock Draft by Team Board Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That's a horrible example on Nylander's shot.

This one is kinda bad quality but you get the idea

This one is good too.

Ya i've seen all the videos up of Nylander and I still don't see how anyone says his shot is better than Ehler's. His hands yes, but I don't see his shot being any better.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Nylander/Ehlers could be made they're both very similar. Both undersized, both fast, both have good shots etc..When all else equal, go with the center.

If you want a skilled, big winger I'm Virtanen all the way. People have these weird thoughts that because Ritchie is big he's the next Lucic or something.

To me I see Ritchie as already injured, with concussion history. Older then most of his draft class, and severely out weighs them, and by all accounts more of a "soft" body type as well. It's not hard to use your frame when you're older, and bigger then the 16/17 year old peers. Other then his shot he really doesn't pose a skill set that sets him above the rest of the pack, and has been called inconsistent. But because of his size people get a "Lucic" hard on which couldn't be furthur from the truth.

Virtanen is also a power forward in the making, except he posses skills that set him above the rest, most of which are at or above NHL quality. His shot, skating and work ethic are NHL quality. If he put up more assists this year he would be considered to go top 3. But make no bones about it he's a big, physical sniper who scores. You don't draft Virtanen to be a setup man, you draft him to put the puck in the net.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Nylander/Ehlers could be made they're both very similar. Both undersized, both fast, both have good shots etc..When all else equal, go with the center.

If you want a skilled, big winger I'm Virtanen all the way. People have these weird thoughts that because Ritchie is big he's the next Lucic or something.

To me I see Ritchie as already injured, with concussion history. Older then most of his draft class, and severely out weighs them, and by all accounts more of a "soft" body type as well. It's not hard to use your frame when you're older, and bigger then the 16/17 year old peers. Other then his shot he really doesn't pose a skill set that sets him above the rest of the pack, and has been called inconsistent. But because of his size people get a "Lucic" hard on which couldn't be furthur from the truth.

Virtanen is also a power forward in the making, except he posses skills that set him above the rest, most of which are at or above NHL quality. His shot, skating and work ethic are NHL quality. If he put up more assists this year he would be considered to go top 3. But make no bones about it he's a big, physical sniper who scores. You don't draft Virtanen to be a setup man, you draft him to put the puck in the net.

Ya if you're drafting Virtanen you're gambling that he turns into a 30-40 goal power forward but I don't see the Canucks going Virtanen over Ritchie if they are going for the big forward.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Without doing any research or actual thinking (so basically a typical post :P), the first name that popped into my head was Rick Nash.

Interesting...Nash was a 1st overall pick. Had 72pts in 54 games in his drafts year vs 74pts in 64 games for Ritchie. Ritchie had 39 goals to Nash's 34 goals. Close to the same size as Ritchie. 6'4 215lbs vs 6'3 230lbs. Being compared to a 1st overall draft pick and perennial team Canada Olympian is a good sign, don't think Ritchie has as good of 1 on 1 skills as Nash but definitely plays a more physical game than Nash.

Bobby Ryan?

Bobby Ryan seems like another decent comparison. Bobby's only listed at 210lbs but they play a sort of similar big guy skilled game. Again though being on the same level as a 2nd overall draft pick is a dam good sign.

Ryan Johansen is the closest in weight/height and skill in the last few years (2010), though I'd argue Johansen has more skill than Ritchie and plays a more important position.

Johansen is quite a bit smaller and definitely plays a more skilled puck possession puck distribution vs Ritchie's more attacking style game.

Looking back at history and seeing how rare of a skill set Ritchie has makes him a must pick at 6, especially when the closest comparison guys to him are Nash, Ryan or Johanson

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Ya if you're drafting Virtanen you're gambling that he turns into a 30-40 goal power forward but I don't see the Canucks going Virtanen over Ritchie if they are going for the big forward.

Why don't you see Virtanen over Ritchie?

Virtanen is faster
Virtanen is a better scorer
Virtanen has a better shot
Virtanen has a more consistent compete level
They're probably equally physical, and Ritchie already has concussion problems.

This is my way of thinking Virtanen>Ritchie

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Don't get me wrong I'd love Ritchie on this team. I'm just tired of failed draft picks and I'm really hoping for a winner here. Just trying to weigh the negatives and positives

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Don't get me wrong I'd love Ritchie on this team. I'm just tired of failed draft picks and I'm really hoping for a winner here. Just trying to weigh the negatives and positives

Except that it doesnt matter who you draft if you dont develop them properly. Schroeder and Hodgson were by far the BPA when we drafted them and we thought they were going to be the corner stone of this franchise. Look where it turned out. Where you get drafted is just a number. Virtanen could look better today but thats irrelevant. Which is why i stopped caring who we draft at 6. Because i know its all about how they develop and learn. What they do pre draft is worthless. Anaheim took Lindholm at 6 when he was ranked 15. He turned out fine.

arsmaster*

I like Virtanen more, but I think his ability to see the ice isn't as good as Ritchie's.

For that reason I think Ritchie makes a better pick at 6th overall, but I definitely wouldn't cry if we took Jake. He's a punishing player to play and is incredibly hard to stop.

The power, skating and shooting that Virtanen possess is closer to MacKinnon than Ehlers skill set is IMO.

I don't see what makes Virtanen any more of a gamble than anyone else in the top 10. They've all got issues.

I mean people talk about work ethic for others, but when you shoot the puck like jake does, you've clearly spent some time perfecting your craft.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Except that it doesnt matter who you draft if you dont develop them properly. Schroeder and Hodgson were by far the BPA when we drafted them and we thought they were going to be the corner stone of this franchise. Look where it turned out. Where you get drafted is just a number. Virtanen could look better today but thats irrelevant. Which is why i stopped caring who we draft at 6. Because i know its all about how they develop and learn. What they do pre draft is worthless. Anaheim took Lindholm at 6 when he was ranked 15. He turned out fine.

This is 100% true, but I still think you want to pick the guy who is already showing signs of being a good player. Development is a big part, but there's a reason more 1st rounders are in the NHL than any other round.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Why don't you see Virtanen over Ritchie?

Virtanen is faster
Virtanen is a better scorer
Virtanen has a better shot
Virtanen has a more consistent compete level
They're probably equally physical, and Ritchie already has concussion problems.

This is my way of thinking Virtanen>Ritchie

Ritchie is bigger
Ritchie is a better play maker
Ritchie has better hockey sense
They're probably equally physical but Ritchie is bigger therefor will have more of an impact

This is my thinking of Ritchie > Virtanen

They're scoring ability is quite comparable yet Ritchie is bigger, has better hockey sense and is a better playmaker.

arsmaster*

Ritchie is bigger
They're probably equally physical but Ritchie is bigger therefor will have more of an impact

They're scoring ability is quite comparable yet Ritchie is bigger, has better hockey sense and is a better playmaker.

To add, not disagreeing either way....Virtanen is one year's development behind, and is almost a full 9 months younger.

Probably effect the size, and I think speaks to why Virtanen is a little more raw...some see this rawness as lack of hockey IQ, and it seems this is now fact. I see the issues, but I don't believe it's purely a hockey sense issue.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Ritchie is bigger

Ritchie is also quite a bit tougher than Virtanen...

----

----

Virtanen is typically fighting guys at 6'1, 180'ish lbs... when Ritchie fights he's roughing up 6'5, 210+ giants.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Nylander got like no votes on our last poll.

what changed everyone's opinion?

did he do something recently or what? wtf is going on here :dunno:

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Ritchie is also quite a bit tougher than Virtanen...

----

----

Virtanen is typically fighting guys at 6'1, 180'ish lbs... when Ritchie fights he's roughing up 6'5, 210+ giants.

This....watching the hightlight packages of Virtanen and Ritchie the goals they score are almost identical. Get the puck in a scoring area...release deadly wrist shot. Skate in one on one against defender....release deadly wristshot.

Ritchie just has a few more assets that make him more valuable. He's bigger, nastier and better playmaker

Edit: watching those videos makes me want Ritchie that much more....he can throw, and with both hands

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Gotta go with Ritchie. So rare to see a player of his caliber and skill set with that size and a bit of a mean streak all in one. He could workout all summer, lose 10 lbs and still be quite a bit larger than Kassian (who I desperately want to see play with him on the world's scariest line).

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
lol so you show Nylander's worst one and Ehlers best one? All credibility just went out the window.

How is that in any way "Nylander's worst one"? :laugh: Hell or even Ehler's best one.

Please show me video of how Nylander has this better shot than Ehlers... cause i'm looking and not finding...

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
A lot of people point to Ehlers 165lb frame and think it's a big negative. For me that just highlights what a great talent he is that he can be so effective before he's had the chance to fill out. The guy has an absolute rocket of a shot, while having 'forearms, wrists and legs like sticks'. Scary to think how hard he will shoot the puck once he fills out to the 190 or so pounds he's going to play at as a pro...

It's always been a 3 horse race for me between Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie - would probably take them in that order.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Nylander got like no votes on our last poll.

what changed everyone's opinion?

did he do something recently or what? wtf is going on here :dunno:

Ya Nylander is leading the U18's in points... though most seem to have been against Slovakia and Germany (looks like 9 points of his 11 points were in those 2 games).

I think a few people have gotten to watch a game with him (?) not sure though, as mentioned elsewhere coverage of the U18 worlds has been horrendous.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Ya Nylander is leading the U18's in points... though most seem to have been against Slovakia and Germany (looks like 9 points of his 11 points were in those 2 games).

I think a few people have gotten to watch a game with him (?) not sure though, as mentioned elsewhere coverage of the U18 worlds has been horrendous.

I wouldn't put too much stock into that considering he's been playing with men all season. under 18 would be a joke for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad