2014 Mock Draft by Team Board Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Don't get me wrong I still want him, and I have my personal ranking at ehlers-> Nylander -> Ritchie but I do find it funny what a few good games will do around here.

I fall into the group that wants to go back to the skill game like the hawks, or wings. Transition, and puck possession, not bump and grind or dump and chase.

I am in a group that wants a good blend of young talent. The Canucks have lots and lots of big guys coming and besides Shinkaruk and Jensen almost no elite scoring or play-making anywhere in the system.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I am in a group that wants a good blend of young talent. The Canucks have lots and lots of big guys coming and besides Shinkaruk and Jensen almost no elite scoring or play-making anywhere in the system.

To be fair, most of our "big" guys don't project as top6 forwards

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I would like Nylander or Virtanen, personally.
But the new Canucks management seems to be in love with the Boston/Anaheim style...so if Ritchie is still on the board, I am certain they will take him.
I don't understand the love for Ehlers. I am skeptical of point totals in the Q, which is not a tough league (compared to the OHL and WHL). And he won't have a Jonathan Drouin to help him on the PP, here, either.

LOLKarlsson*

But the new Canucks management seems to be in love with the Boston/Anaheim style...so if Ritchie is still on the board, I am certain they will take him.
I don't understand the love for Ehlers. I am skeptical of point totals in the Q, which is not a tough league (compared to the OHL and WHL). And he won't have a Jonathan Drouin to help him on the PP, here, either.

With the loss of Drouin (they play 5 on 5 together too sometimes. A lot at the beginning of the season, and they'll load up sometimes too when they want to score), Ehlers will not just lose a great player, but have to face stiffer competition(he's on the second line). His production will almost certainly go down next year. Question is how much?

I'm very, very hesitant with him too. Would not take him in the top 10 without having another season under his belt with top line minutes and competition. Plus, he's just a complimentary player, and there are brooding pwf's (ritchie) and more talented scorers that actually drive a line (Nylander) availaible. And I feel his game will translate less well to western NHL hockey than all other guys in the top 10.

Ehlers just makes zero sense at all with the 6th pick. At least to me.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Voted Ehlers first time, voted Ritchie second time, now I'm on Nylander

He's bigger than Ehlers, amd more skilled, with a better shot and better hands. Not sure what Ehlers has on him, other than the fact that he benefited from playing with Drouin all year

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I'm Vancouver in a mock draft and I picked Nylander. I'm sure with Linden and canning Gillies and possibly Torts they'll be looking for a slam dunk. Willie has the most upside and he has some mentors with the Sedins

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

He's bigger than Ehlers, amd more skilled, with a better shot and better hands. Not sure what Ehlers has on him, other than the fact that he benefited from playing with Drouin all year

So basically jumping on each bandwagon? lol.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

I'm not sure how you're doing this comparison... but Ehlers and Nylander are essentially the same size...

From what I gather Nylander is not as fast or agile as Ehlers. I haven't watched Nylander much at all so i'll have to defer to others on how the offense stacks up, but it seems like Ehlers is much much more of a shooter than Nylander... seeing as how Ehlers often puts up 4+ shots/game...

Also Ehlers doesn't play with Drouin regularly except on the PP and Short-Handed. There's been a lot of games in the playoffs where Mooseheads fans have said Ehlers has been the better of he and Drouin.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
I'm not sure how you're doing this comparison... but Ehlers and Nylander are essentially the same size...

From what I gather Nylander is not as fast or agile as Ehlers. I haven't watched Nylander much at all so i'll have to defer to others on how the offense stacks up, but it seems like Ehlers is much much more of a shooter than Nylander... seeing as how Ehlers often puts up 4+ shots/game...

Also Ehlers doesn't play with Drouin regularly except on the PP and Short-Handed. There's been a lot of games in the playoffs where Mooseheads fans have said Ehlers has been the better of he and Drouin.

He's got 10 pounds on Ehlers, not a big difference but it's there.

From what I've seen, Nylander is just as fast and agile as Ehlers. Very shifty player, and he loves to shoot. He's got great handles too. The reason he probably doesn't get as many shots is because he plays against better competition. His biggest fault is his defense, but it's one of those things that if he works at it, he'll be fine.

IMO Nylander has a better shot than Ehlers, is at least as fast/agile, and has the same, if not better handles.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Krecji, krug, Hamilton, Smith, soderberg,Eriksson, bergeron...The Bruins are not a team that all players are rough and tough. Far from it.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Still?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
People seem to think the Bruins win because they're "tuff"...really they win because they have depth and good goaltending.

They're not tough.

They're just allowed to commit murder on ice and get away with it.

From decapitating opposing players using the stanchion to neutering them, you name it, they'll do it.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
He's got 10 pounds on Ehlers, not a big difference but it's there.

From what I've seen, Nylander is just as fast and agile as Ehlers. Very shifty player, and he loves to shoot. He's got great handles too. The reason he probably doesn't get as many shots is because he plays against better competition. His biggest fault is his defense, but it's one of those things that if he works at it, he'll be fine.

IMO Nylander has a better shot than Ehlers, is at least as fast/agile, and has the same, if not better handles.

Do you have an example of this?

I've only seen about 10 Nylander videos and i've never seen him take a shot as powerful as Ehlers' right-side one-timers on the pp....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad