2014 MLB Season Thread

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Giancarlo Stanton signed for the Marlins for a record $325 million over 13 years with a full no-trade and can opt out at 30.

That is $50 million more then A-rod's stupid contract.

Wow

Edit: It isn't "official" yet, but apparently just about done.

Jaysfanatic*

Jeffrey Loria didn't spend that much total on payroll from 2003 to 2010.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
A little late to the party but Russell Martin really got 5 years and 82 million from Toronto?! Sweet jesus he's a 30+ catcher (going to be 32 before he plays a game under this deal) that had a well-timed offensive surge last season.

Jaysfanatic*

A little late to the party but Russell Martin really got 5 years and 82 million from Toronto?! Sweet jesus he's a 30+ catcher (going to be 32 before he plays a game under this deal) that had a well-timed offensive surge last season.

The Jays have hitters, they don't need him to be an offensive threat. There is more to baseball than just playing offense. If he stays around his career average of .257 he'll be fine and the fact that he's an elite pitch framer, and defensive catcher furthers his value. Martin takes very good care of himself, works out a lot like Jagr and is a huge leader in the clubhouse. Factor in there's no salary cap and money doesn't matter and it's a good deal, nay, a great deal for a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 21 years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

My barometer is way off when it comes to baseball contracts. J.J. Hardy got a 3 year, 40 mil extension last month and I was surprised when I started hearing that it was a decent deal. My first thought was that Hardy didn't strike me as a 13 mil/year type of guy. Seems like a lot of teams are making a ton of dough now with renewed TV deals, so the value system is a bit skewed.

Ie, Zack Duke just got a 3 year, 15 million dollar deal after just one good season a converted relief pitcher.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My barometer is way off when it comes to baseball contracts. J.J. Hardy got a 3 year, 40 mil extension last month and I was surprised when I started hearing that it was a decent deal. My first thought was that Hardy didn't strike me as a 13 mil/year type of guy. Seems like a lot of teams are making a ton of dough now with renewed TV deals, so the value system is a bit skewed.

Ie, Zack Duke just got a 3 year, 15 million dollar deal after just one good season a converted relief pitcher.

It's not even so much the $16 million a year that's eye-popping (although his last contract was 2 years, 8 million so this is a BIG jump), it's the five years for a 32-year old catcher that's particularly outrageous.

And yes I know he's a good defensive catcher, so are a bunch of one-dimensional guys who hit .220 and you can get a lot cheaper. His three previous years he hit .237, .211 and .226 - before this year the only difference between him and the one-dimensional defensive guys was his power. You're not paying $16 million just for a guy to be defensive and hope his bounceback last year wasn't a contract year abberation.

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Stanton is good but not 325 million dollars good. Trout might tip 400 at this pace. Shockingly enough the marlins payroll over the last four years didn't even touch 325

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Giancarlo Stanton signed for the Marlins for a record $325 million over 13 years with a full no-trade and can opt out at 30.

That is $50 million more then A-rod's stupid contract.

Wow

Edit: It isn't "official" yet, but apparently just about done.

Stanton is good but not 325 million dollars good. Trout might tip 400 at this pace. Shockingly enough the marlins payroll over the last four years didn't even touch 325

Well if Russell Martin's going to get $16 million a year then Stanton should get $25 million a year at least.

But yeah those superlong contracts never seem to work out, A-Rod, Kevin Brown, Sabathia, Pujols...

Jaysfanatic*

It's not even so much the $16 million a year that's eye-popping (although his last contract was 2 years, 8 million so this is a BIG jump), it's the five years for a 32-year old catcher that's particularly outrageous.

And yes I know he's a good defensive catcher, so are a bunch of one-dimensional guys who hit .220 and you can get a lot cheaper. His three previous years he hit .237, .211 and .226 - before this year the only difference between him and the one-dimensional defensive guys was his power. You're not paying $16 million just for a guy to be defensive and hope his bounceback last year wasn't a contract year abberation.

LMAO! If you think that Russell Martin is just like any other catcher with one dimension then you know nothing about Russell Martin. Good grief.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
LMAO! If you think that Russell Martin is just like any other catcher with one dimension then you know nothing about Russell Martin. Good grief.

I mean he is like any other catcher a guy that plays solid defense and can hit anywhere from 220-260 and hit 15-20 hrs a year. He had a good year in a contract year. You aren't going to get the 290 average martin. Prior to this year the last time he hit over 270 was back in 2008

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
I'm fine with the Yankees not spending. Start a foundation of young players for ****s sake.

These veterans who we spend on who are passed their prime is getting old and pointless if they can't make it to October.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm fine with the Yankees not spending. Start a foundation of young players for ****s sake.

These veterans who we spend on who are passed their prime is getting old and pointless if they can't make it to October.

Are they though? Is there a number of young players in the minors to get excited about?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What on earth has gotten into Billy Beane the last year and a half? Throwing stupid money at Jim Johnson (the same organization that didn't pay for closers) and now Butler, trading Donaldson, trading his cleanup hitter in-season..

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Is it Spring Training yet? It's been a longggg time since I've had higher hopes for the Mets than the Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad