2014 MLB Season Thread

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Max 20 million dollar bid and then a couple dozen teams get to negotiate. Someone will vastly overpay and the Yankees, unfortunately, won't match.

Since the player has a say now, I doubt he comes out East when he can go out West and be closer to home.

I wish we had a Matsui here in his prime to entice guys like this. Man do I ever miss Hideki Matsui. Just the consummate professional and a hell of a hitter in his prime.

Maybe a washed up Ichiro will be enough...

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
He signed with Jeter's and Tex's agent, so hopefully there's an advantage there.

I saw. Thought Close has big name players everywhere. I just hope he's not another Kei Igawa. Which I know is a ridiculous concern that cost us Darvish...but it's always there.

I mean, if you're the Yankees and you didn't pony up for Yu freaking Darvish...why now? Desperation? Last time that got us a batting practice pitcher.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It was initially supposed to be 211 games

He appealed and this ruling reduced it to 162

As JM said, he'll appeal again likely to the federal court

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol A-Roid bringing out both guns in his statement, calling some of the evidence falsified and saying this was the first salvo in baseball trying to get guaranteed contracts abolished in the 2016 CBA negotiation.

Nobody including baseball ever thought it would stay at 211 anyway, that was just an arbitrary number based on the # of games left last season. With the appeal process baseball knew he wouldn't serve a single game at the end of last year. The key was whether it got reduced below 162 or not.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
lol A-Roid bringing out both guns in his statement, calling some of the evidence falsified and saying this was the first salvo in baseball trying to get guaranteed contracts abolished in the 2016 CBA negotiation.

Nobody including baseball ever thought it would stay at 211 anyway, that was just an arbitrary number based on the # of games left last season. With the appeal process baseball knew he wouldn't serve a single game at the end of last year. The key was whether it got reduced below 162 or not.

Yes, they just want him suspended through the end of this season. MLB wins here given the suspension is still more than even a second time violator.

And as for suing in court, my guess the MLB CBA stipulates an arbitration process (which he went through). My guess is it gets tossed.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
The other big winner today, at least from a financial perspective, is the Yankees, who will save $27.5 million in 2014. They now have a very good chance to keep their payroll under $189 million even if they sign Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka.

Do It

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
Selig is such a hypocrite. Should have punished the Yanks for that terrible contract.

Meanwhile, Frank McCourt is forced to sell the Dodgers because of financial ruin, but his friendship with the Wilpons keeps them in charge of the Mets.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Selig is such a hypocrite. Should have punished the Yanks for that terrible contract.

Meanwhile, Frank McCourt is forced to sell the Dodgers because of financial ruin, but his friendship with the Wilpons keeps them in charge of the Mets.

isnt he retiring soon?

and I bet if a small market team gave A Rod that contract, he would've nixed it.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
$22 million per year for someone who has never pitched in the MLB. I know his numbers in Japan, but that's insane.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I'm fine with it - for two reasons: (1) The Yankees are the Yankees again, **** 189 whatever and (2) we needed the pitching and this kid is supposedly the goods.

The Yankees clearly just didn't want Cano here though. I think they always speculated he was on the juice (Levine's e-mails/texts to A-Rod and Cano's connections to BioReference, friendship to A-Rod/Melky) and they weren't going to make the same mistake twice.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
$22 million per year for someone who has never pitched in the MLB. I know his numbers in Japan, but that's insane.

It's the way of the market, unfortunately. He was considered the best pitcher available by everybody and he is only 25 so he is still very much in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad