Proposal: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals X - The Trade Shoe Dropped - FALLOUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Would anyone move the 1st (say 8th overall), a 2nd, and one of Turris or Zib for the 2nd overall?

I know a trade like that would probably never happen (maybe the Oilers would consider it for more depth and a more proven 2c) but it would be fun to speculate.

Hoffman-Zib/Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Eichel-Stone

I would.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Would anyone move the 1st (say 8th overall), a 2nd, and one of Turris or Zib for the 2nd overall?

I know a trade like that would probably never happen (maybe the Oilers would consider it for more depth and a more proven 2c) but it would be fun to speculate.

Hoffman-Zib/Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Eichel-Stone

No for many reasons, but #1 being if someone other than the bottom two teams wins the lottery, we get the 3rd overall pick...If this is after the lottery, I'd probably consider Turris - 1st - 2nd, I'd like to keep Zib.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I thought the list was too but he could have still done some homework. How much are the rosters and cap space before the season and now? He could have a good inkling of who to put on there before the season started too.

It's true, but man, that would have been some interesting thinking given how good they were looking to be to start the season.

Like a hockey year prenup. Excited for success, preparing for failure.

Guess it would show proper diligence towards a yearly aspect of you contract.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Asset management. If a team is interested in taking him for a 3rd or 4th round pick this year, you gotta do it. I really like him as a bottom 6 guy but given the way every team is stressing advanced stats, I think he's gonna get a way bigger contract than people expect, and he will deserve it.

Don't stop there though. Still gotta ship out one more body on D and Greening or Smith (preferably both).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

For those like me having trouble blowing up that tiny pic to something legible, could you confirm it says something along the line's of

"Wally on Condra TSN1200: He doesn't want to go, but unfortunately it looks like he won't survive the deadline"?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's true, but man, that would have been some interesting thinking given how good they were looking to be to start the season.

Like a hockey year prenup. Excited for success, preparing for failure.

Guess it would show proper diligence towards a yearly aspect of you contract.

I'm guessing agents might help out with the lists. They do the research (look at what teams have in cap space, what teams have a potential need) and then provide a recomendation to meet the clients desire.

If his desire is to stay where he is, this is the result. Kinda like when you tell your realestate agent that you want to be in a area with good schools, on a bus route and close to a grocery store. They then provide you with listings.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As a D, you have to be a good skater to play your off side.

If you are right handed playing the left side, and you get the puck in the corner and try to skate it up the ice, the opposition can quickly force you to either make a pass on your backhand or chip it off the boards. You need to be able to skate to open up a lane. If you're on your forehand that's a lot easier.

True. I would also say you really need to be a good skater to be a good defenceman. Unfortunately, some of the Senators Ds are not good skaters. :(

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I know moves are fun, but really, other than enjoying the idea of offing some "dead weight" for late round picks, there really doesn't seem to be a reason to make a move.

I really don't want to part with any of our young players right now, especially when we have evidence in front of us X2, of what happens when you are patient with your prospects.

I'd prefer that we see what Puempel and Prince can do, I don't want them traded, and I don't want another milquetoast player brought in to take up a roster spot.

People love a move for the sake of it, but personally I don't want to see anything major. If someone wants Smith, Greening, or Condra. perfect.

If Phillips and/or Neil want a shot at a cup, fine, their choice.

If someone wants Legwand, Gryba, or Weir, I'm ok with that as well, but the reality is most of these guys have limited value, if any around the league, and some have more value to us than a trade would net us.

I'm not sure what people realistically expect other than some small moves to open up roster spots for more kids next year.

I also prefer to see what the younger prospects will do than watch the old declining vets play. I don't care what Phillips or Neil want to do; if the team can get a second round pick for either of them I would make the trade in order to improve the team in the future (i.e., for picks or prospects). Trading Legwand is high on my list too. I don't think Gryba or Wiercioch would be a big loss, although I think Wiercioch still has potential to be better so I would retain him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yea we don't need to make any moves at deadline unless it's us shipping out players or acquiring a top 3 W or top 3 defender.

I disagree. This is the time to ship out those who are not in the plans for future years, i.e., declining vets for prospects and picks.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I though all such lists had to be submitted before the season started.

Terrible plan. Yandle has been crap-tastic each time we've played them, and Zib is already on his way to being the better player of the two.

The first red flag should be trading our budding 21 year old centre who has started breaking out, for a decent puck moving D who's team views him as expendable.

Look like a sure fire way to ruin what we've been doing for the last couple years. Happily this will never happen.

If the list wasn't required to be made before the season, this looks like a giant management/conractual screw up.

I agree with you. Trading a potential first liner age 21 for a soon to be 29 year old Dman is not my preference.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Hoffman-Zib/Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Eichel-Stone

Fo McDavid, yes.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I disagree. This is the time to ship out those who are not in the plans for future years, i.e., declining vets for prospects and picks.

The problem is that all of the vets have at least another yr left on their contracts & for that reason most teams don't want to take on the additional yr. Next yr, will be a different story I think, as Phillips, Legwand & Neil will be UFAs & IMO will be more enticing for teams going into the playoffs looking for rentals. The following yr, Anderson, Michalek & Greening will be in their last yr & again more enticing for teams looking for a rental player for the playoffs. By that time they may not be worth more than a 3rd rd pick or worse.

Whether that is a good thing for the Sens or not remains to be seen, but I expect they will replace one or two guys this yr (Condra maybe). They will probably replace three guys next season & another three guys the following season. At some point our young guys will have learned to play the right way & hopefully the prospects will be in a position to show they belong or traded to improve the team at a time when the team should be in a contending position.

In 3 yrs time I expect the lineup to look something like this below, if UFAs are traded for picks & not players. Now the question is whether it is a contending team or not & if not, than trades for players is a must over the next few yrs.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Prince - Lazar - Lindberg
Bittner - Paul - Rantanen/Dunn

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci
Wikstrand - Wideman/Harpur

Lehner - Hogberg/Dreidger or Hammond

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Zuccarello might be a good add for the left side. Seems like NY is having trouble resigning him

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The problem is that all of the vets have at least another yr left on their contracts & for that reason most teams don't want to take on the additional yr. Next yr, will be a different story I think, as Phillips, Legwand & Neil will be UFAs & IMO will be more enticing for teams going into the playoffs looking for rentals. The following yr, Anderson, Michalek & Greening will be in their last yr & again more enticing for teams looking for a rental player for the playoffs. By that time they may not be worth more than a 3rd rd pick or worse.

Whether that is a good thing for the Sens or not remains to be seen, but I expect they will replace one or two guys this yr (Condra maybe). They will probably replace three guys next season & another three guys the following season. At some point our young guys will have learned to play the right way & hopefully the prospects will be in a position to show they belong or traded to improve the team at a time when the team should be in a contending position.

In 3 yrs time I expect the lineup to look something like this below, if UFAs are traded for picks & not players. Now the question is whether it is a contending team or not & if not, than trades for players is a must over the next few yrs.

Puempel - Turris - Stone

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci

Forwards look deep but i feel it might beneficial to get a star forward. Defense isnt much to brag about. Goaltending is a huge question mark.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Puempel - Turris - Stone

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci

So much worse then now? Great!

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013

Puempel - Turris - Stone

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci

I would like to see Lazar work on his offensive game in the AHL next year, at least for the start. Give JGP more ice, and try to entice SDC back from KHL. Ship out Michalek, BigRig & Neil asap. Also Leggy.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Winnik can return a 2nd, I hope Condra can return a 3rd round pick. Not sure there's been much of a difference between the two this season.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Is Tlusty (to Jets) = last year's Jussi Jokinen waiver miss?

Tlusty's career high is 38 points(in shortened season)
Jokinen flirts with 60 points every few years and bounces from 40-50 points typically

Tlusty just isnt that good. I think he's comparable to chiasson in the amount he'd help us.

There is some upside for maybe 20 goals 40-50 points but i dont think its likely and hes not cgoing to consistently reach those points.

Jokinen should have been picked up but i understand they didnt want his salary.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm guessing agents might help out with the lists. They do the research (look at what teams have in cap space, what teams have a potential need) and then provide a recomendation to meet the clients desire.

If his desire is to stay where he is, this is the result. Kinda like when you tell your realestate agent that you want to be in a area with good schools, on a bus route and close to a grocery store. They then provide you with listings.

Yup, just another neat little niche of the hockey world :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Toronto retained 50% on Winnik

That counts for a lot

Sure, but they were only paying him $1.3mil/year to begin with, and already played 60 games. The Leafs are eating a grand total of $351k in that deal.

I'm not sure if the 2nd rounder takes that into account. That's probably what the 4th rounder was for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad