2014-2015 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Cassidy is in a position where, if the boss tells him to make changes, he better damn well make them. I'm sure he wants another crack at an NHL bench, and this is the way to get there.

Clode, on the other hand, would have his phone ringing off the hook with jobs if he got fired. I wonder how open he really is to making those changes that Neely wants.

While stubborn, I`m not sure Claude is in any way, shape or form afraid to open things up and be aggressive.

For Claude it`s always been about playing right defensively, which will afford opportunities offensively which, as we have seen often under Claude, results in teams who have been consistently among the strongest in the GF column

Biggest issue that I have seen, team hasn`t had the horses to play an up tempo game, sure there`s been one or two burners, but if they are flying and the rest are walking.....

can`t soar like an eagle when your working with turkey`s:D

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cassidy is in a position where, if the boss tells him to make changes, he better damn well make them. I'm sure he wants another crack at an NHL bench, and this is the way to get there.

Clode, on the other hand, would have his phone ringing off the hook with jobs if he got fired. I wonder how open he really is to making those changes that Neely wants.

This is true, but maybe DS has decided you can catch more flies with honey than ****? I'm all for second chances, but I'm not sure I like this. You know how once in awhile you hear a story about someone who is a teacher, but hates kids? This has that feel to me. I think there are coaches that work well with young players and those that don't, and I'm not sure it's something you learn. It has to be there from the start, even if the boss is telling you to do it.

Maybe I have this pegged wrong and Cassidy does like most kids, and is just a guy that plays extreme favorites. Let's wait and seen how he deals with these youngsters when the cat is away.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
here is what I think right or wrong but its more than my gut (I do have an a pretty good backyard/BBQ network:)) Cassidy for all my rants and his failure as the coach of the Capitals does have strengths. I think Cassidy has a legit chance to be an important part of this organization however, me and my boys have yet to see Sweeney acknowledge him and I don't care how hard posters try and link articles by Diiver or whatever. He hasn't. Chiarelli out and Sweeney in ironically may be the best thing for Cassidy in a weird way- we shall see.
If it sounds like I am flipping...

Amazing how serial flippers are able to turn-on-a-dime and reestablish new keyboard position almost at will. Cassidy was such a failure in Washington that he somehow managed a second place finish and, of course, the Capitals crybabies quickly decided they wanted no part of effort. By the way, Chiarelli stated that Sweeney and Cassidy would regularly speak several times a week, you know, like a good Assistant-GM and minor league coach, and they know each other well. So what's to acknowledge. Pandolfo was a local ex-player looking for work, and they obliged, after all, that's the Boston way; Ferguson will likely be the next Providence GM, more experience and lives closer.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Amazing how serial flippers are able to turn-on-a-dime and reestablish new keyboard position almost at will. Cassidy was such a failure in Washington that he somehow managed a second place finish and, of course, the Capitals crybabies quickly decided they wanted no part of effort. By the way, Chiarelli stated that Sweeney and Cassidy would regularly speak several times a week, you know, like a good Assistant-GM and minor league coach, and they know each other well. So what's to acknowledge. Pandolfo was a local ex-player looking for work, and they obliged, after all, that's the Boston way; Ferguson will likely be the next Providence GM, more experience and lives closer.

Amazing how people who don't have a clue about how some things actually played out can just make assumptions from behind their keyboard. You can paint it any way you want, but Cassidy's stint in Washington was an abject failure. Coaches can be hard-*****, but the players need to respect them even if they don't like them. That didn't happen with the Caps, and from some of the stuff I heard the last couple of years in PRO, Cassidy still hasn't learned how to deal with players, particularly young ones, in a positive manner.

If that is the case, I don't want him coaching a team that looks like it's going to be very young.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Amazing how people who don't have a clue about how some things actually played out can just make assumptions from behind their keyboard. You can paint it any way you want, but Cassidy's stint in Washington was an abject failure. Coaches can be hard-*****, but the players need to respect them even if they don't like them. That didn't happen with the Caps, and from some of the stuff I heard the last couple of years in PRO, Cassidy still hasn't learned how to deal with players, particularly young ones, in a positive manner.

If that is the case, I don't want him coaching a team that looks like it's going to be very young.

Spooner looked better last year in Boston than he did the year before. Pastrnak looked like he had improved from playing in providence. Ferlin looked pretty good in a limited role. Kevan miller looks good when he's out there.

Cassidy might be tough to play for in some cases for some players, but part of being an employee is dealing with bosses you don't like very much. Anytime I've had a bad boss who got on me for things I didn't think we're necessary what I did was exactly what he wanted, got better at my job and got him off my case and onto someone else's. Production silences the tough employers, or at least it gets their attention focused on someone else

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
here is what I think right or wrong but its more than my gut (I do have an a pretty good backyard/BBQ network:))

Cassidy for all my rants and his failure as the coach of the Capitals does have strengths

I think he is smart enough- I know he is smart enough to realize what is at stake here.

Sweeney has always been a second chance guy.

Pandolfo is in control here and he is a nice compliment to Cassidy/Dean as far as position players.

I am not sure about this statement because it was recent but 'who actually brought in the veterans the past few years for Providence?

Sweeney so far has a loaded roster in Providence with a bunch of kids coming in like Hickman, Cave, Accari, Blidth, Vitrano to join a half dozen holdovers like Griffith, Koko, Randall, Ferlin, Phillips etc....so they are young and I don't think the pressure is on Cassidy to so much win as develop. I therefore don't see a bunch of older players who Cassidy could clog the development of others with by leaning on to win. I think teaching and developing trumps the AHL trophy BUT that winning atmosphere is important to development. there is a balance at play here- and it should benefit Cassidy, especially if he is working as close to his boss as I expect. He should coach unplugged and be able to teach kids rather than run out Stuart and Johnson

My educated belief is Pandolfo will work well with him and I assume vice versa.

Providence will certainly want to win but they want guys that can help Boston and it looks like every roster spot is important for someone who may play in Boston.

Life is to short to wish Cassidy to fail- as far as Knight goes, I hope and expect him to to well in Minnesota and you never know he's a Sweeney guy.

I don't feel confident of my prediction Cassidy will be let go this season. Sometimes new regimes come in like Benning in Vancouver and they give it a year. But Sweeney knows Cassidy as well as anyone.

My bud who scouts said to me last year, there is a lot to like about Cassidy- he likes him. But he can be a yeller and he does play favorites at least that is the perception.

Sometimes we need to be saved from our selves.

Chiarelli landed on his feet in ruby red slippers and I believe Knight will also.

I think Cassidy has a legit chance to be an important part of this organization however, me and my boys have yet to see Sweeney acknowledge him and I don't care how hard posters try and link articles by Diiver or whatever. He hasn't.

Chiarelli out and Sweeney in ironically may be the best thing for Cassidy in a weird way- we shall see.

If it sounds like I am flipping I was at every DC practice and Cassidy was front and center and tied to Pandolfo and they seemed like on the face of it they were very good. Pandolfo comes with a reputation as a high quality person and excellent teacher. I know one of the parents yesterday told me their kid really thought very highly of Jay (never Pandolofo, which I thought was kind of cool) repeated multiple times.

I saw this quote from Pandolfo when he was discussing Iafrate playing in Providence this year.

“I think any defenseman that goes into Providence is going to learn a lot quickly,â€Jay Pandolfo said. “Bruce Cassidy and Kevin Dean do an unreal job down there. I played a long time, and going down there this year, I learned a ton from those guys.â€Â

If Pandolfo can provide the same level of development coaching for the forwards it sounds like a winning combination.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...ns-development-camp-joonas-kemppainen-speaks/

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
here is what I think right or wrong but its more than my gut (I do have an a pretty good backyard/BBQ network:))

Cassidy for all my rants and his failure as the coach of the Capitals does have strengths

I think he is smart enough- I know he is smart enough to realize what is at stake here.

Sweeney has always been a second chance guy.

Pandolfo is in control here and he is a nice compliment to Cassidy/Dean as far as position players.

I am not sure about this statement because it was recent but 'who actually brought in the veterans the past few years for Providence?

Sweeney so far has a loaded roster in Providence with a bunch of kids coming in like Hickman, Cave, Accari, Blidth, Vitrano to join a half dozen holdovers like Griffith, Koko, Randall, Ferlin, Phillips etc....so they are young and I don't think the pressure is on Cassidy to so much win as develop. I therefore don't see a bunch of older players who Cassidy could clog the development of others with by leaning on to win. I think teaching and developing trumps the AHL trophy BUT that winning atmosphere is important to development. there is a balance at play here- and it should benefit Cassidy, especially if he is working as close to his boss as I expect. He should coach unplugged and be able to teach kids rather than run out Stuart and Johnson

My educated belief is Pandolfo will work well with him and I assume vice versa.

Providence will certainly want to win but they want guys that can help Boston and it looks like every roster spot is important for someone who may play in Boston.

Life is to short to wish Cassidy to fail- as far as Knight goes, I hope and expect him to to well in Minnesota and you never know he's a Sweeney guy.

I don't feel confident of my prediction Cassidy will be let go this season. Sometimes new regimes come in like Benning in Vancouver and they give it a year. But Sweeney knows Cassidy as well as anyone.

My bud who scouts said to me last year, there is a lot to like about Cassidy- he likes him. But he can be a yeller and he does play favorites at least that is the perception.

Sometimes we need to be saved from our selves.

Chiarelli landed on his feet in ruby red slippers and I believe Knight will also.

I think Cassidy has a legit chance to be an important part of this organization however, me and my boys have yet to see Sweeney acknowledge him and I don't care how hard posters try and link articles by Diiver or whatever. He hasn't.

Chiarelli out and Sweeney in ironically may be the best thing for Cassidy in a weird way- we shall see.

If it sounds like I am flipping I was at every DC practice and Cassidy was front and center and tied to Pandolfo and they seemed like on the face of it they were very good. Pandolfo comes with a reputation as a high quality person and excellent teacher. I know one of the parents yesterday told me their kid really thought very highly of Jay (never Pandolofo, which I thought was kind of cool) repeated multiple times.
Thanks for the thoughts, and I hope all this plays well in Providence this season.
There are a lot more kids coming who need guidance & knowledge, and I hope that Butch changes from being a teacher who hates kids, as GD so aptly put it. I also hope that Sweeney & Neely keep a very, very, very close eye on him.
In a league with a salary cap, drafting & development are the oxygen & lifeblood of a franchise. Without them, a franchise will wither & die. Right, ChiaPet?

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA

Uhh…what?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So what's the providence roster looking like for next year?

Koko
Philips
Cave
Acciari
Griffith
Ferlin
Randell
Blith
Camara
Kemppainen
Hickman
DiFazio
Vatrano
Czarnik
Hargrove

Miller
Trotman
Morrow
Breen
Cross
Arnesson
Casto
Iafrate

Smith
Subban
McIntyre

?

Last edited:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So what's the providence roster looking like for next year?

Koko
Philips
Cave
Acciari
Griffith
Ferlin
Randell
Blith
Camara
Kemppainen
Hickman
DiFazio

Miller
Trotman
Morrow
Breen
Cross
Arnesson
Casto

Smith
Subban
McIntyre

?

Vatrano and czarnik as well

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Off the top of my head...

You missed Hargrove up front and Iafrate on D.

Difazio will have a tough time cracking the lineup in providence. He might be down in the ECHL. Same goes for Hargrove or Hickman. Kemppaine I would think gets a look in boston to start.

Vatrano-koko-Griffith
Acciari-Phillips-ferlin
Camara-czarnik-Randall
Blidh-cave-Hickman
Hargrove
Difazio

Morrow-Trotman
Arnesson-miller
Cross-Castro
Breen
Iafrate

I suspect one of Trotman morrow or miller to be with boston but the d looks pretty good with those pairings. Deep team this year. Will get even deeper when HEINEN grzcelyk and o GARA turn pro towards the end of providences season

bruin10014

Nov 14, 2006
Difazio will have a tough time cracking the lineup in providence. He might be down in the ECHL. Same goes for Hargrove or Hickman. Kemppaine I would think gets a look in boston to start.

Vatrano-koko-Griffith
Acciari-Phillips-ferlin
Camara-czarnik-Randall
Blidh-cave-Hickman
Hargrove
Difazio

Morrow-Trotman
Arnesson-miller
Cross-Castro
Breen
Iafrate

I suspect one of Trotman morrow or miller to be with boston but the d looks pretty good with those pairings. Deep team this year. Will get even deeper when HEINEN grzcelyk and o GARA turn pro towards the end of providences season

You forgot Sexton on your list and he played rather well towards the end of the season and the playoff with Camara and Randell. DiFazio has AHL experience I assume he was brought in as a vet who has over 200 games of AHL experience and has scored over 20 goals in a season.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
DiFazio will be a regular, which I'm sure will upset some here, but the dude had over twenty goals and twenty assists on a Calder Cup finalist and got a cup of coffee for it in the big show. I think he'll be a great addition to this club.

I imagine that once some of these guys get into camp, a few may need a trip to the Stingrays to get used to the pro game. Still love how loaded this team is and a lot of competition for spots. Should be a good season.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
DiFazio will be a regular, which I'm sure will upset some here, but the dude had over twenty goals and twenty assists on a Calder Cup finalist and got a cup of coffee for it in the big show. I think he'll be a great addition to this club.

I imagine that once some of these guys get into camp, a few may need a trip to the Stingrays to get used to the pro game. Still love how loaded this team is and a lot of competition for spots. Should be a good season.

How much does the AHL live package run for? I'm assuming it's less if you just subscribe to Prov vs the whole league? Might be an interesting year to follow a little closer.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How much does the AHL live package run for? I'm assuming it's less if you just subscribe to Prov vs the whole league? Might be an interesting year to follow a little closer.

AHL Live in all honesty, is a waste of bandwidth, much less time/effort/$ because not all arenas have said capability, imo, it's easier to listen to a particular team or go to a few games for the price you'd pay to subscribe, but it's $16.99 depending on the subscription, and then the Playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

great points GG....as excited as I am for Acciari, Vatrano, Cave, Blidh and others a lot of undrafted and late round picks it may take some time

I want them to win the Calder Cup but would rather see if Justin Hickman or Frank Vatrano can handle it over some 27 year old good AHLer with no chance to play in the NHL more than as a last option due to extensive injuries

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Who says DiFazio has no chance to play in the NHL? He played two games last year. Vancouver jokes aside, someone liked enough of something to give him a look. I don't think he should be ahead of Randall but if guys step up in camp, then so be it.

I mean, Zac Rinaldo is on the Boston roster. Nuff said.

Until the Boston roster falls into place, a lot of moving parts at work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad