2014-2015 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
GloryDaze4877 said:
Roussel and Hutchinson come to mind as recent examples of prospects that were considered JAG's by most. I wouldn't have mind having both in the lineup right now.

Don't really see where Hutchinson fits. You want him on Boston over Svedberg?

Hutch grew on me at the end, he really improved over time in Providence to the point I never felt like a start by him was going to be an automatic loss, but ultimately he was helped by going to an organization completely bereft of goaltending talent and getting a lot of playing time. He was never going to get that here once we drafted Subban.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Hutch grew on me at the end, he really improved over time in Providence to the point I never felt like a start by him was going to be an automatic loss, but ultimately he was helped by going to an organization completely bereft of goaltending talent and getting a lot of playing time. He was never going to get that here once we drafted Subban.

Yes, I would. Not a huge Svedberg fan, think he's a rebound machine.

I completely understand why Hutch was going to have a hard time here, with all of those goalie prospects and depth. I was just pointing out that I would not just assume a guy is going to fail because he seems like a JAG here.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Yeah, sometimes a prospect might be a good player but need to play elsewhere on a bad team to get the playing time he needs to develop. I think an example of this is Nate Thompson. Some posters still look back and angry that we signed Yelle, who was better than Thompson at the time by a country mile, even though he was cooked. He was wavied by the Bruins and then the terrible Islanders before finding a home in Tampa the following season (2010-11).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, sometimes a prospect might be a good player but need to play elsewhere on a bad team to get the playing time he needs to develop. I think an example of this is Nate Thompson. Some posters still look back and angry that we signed Yelle, who was better than Thompson at the time by a country mile, even though he was cooked. He was wavied by the Bruins and then the terrible Islanders before finding a home in Tampa the following season (2010-11).

I never thought Yelle was better that Thomson. But I watched Thomson in providence quite a bit.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Loved Nate Thompson. One of my all time favorite PBruins. I get why he couldn't crack the lineup at the time the Islanders ended up grabbing him, but boy would he fit this team right now.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I never thought Yelle was better that Thomson. But I watched Thomson in providence quite a bit.

Then why was he a healthy scratch on the terrible Islanders team? Why did he only put up 14 points in 114 games he played? Sometimes you can be the right player at the wrong time. Not to mention, that 2008-09 Bruins team was extremely young and a vet who won a few cups was another reason Yelle got the spot.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Then why was he a healthy scratch on the terrible Islanders team? Why did he only put up 14 points in 114 games he played? Sometimes you can be the right player at the wrong time. Not to mention, that 2008-09 Bruins team was extremely young and a vet who won a few cups was another reason Yelle got the spot.

I'm not sure why he couldn't score more but I'm sure playing for a crappy team might have something to do with it. Islanders were really bad back then until now. Not sure that is a good excuse for his benching. Front office and coaching maybe. I just remember him being a hustler and didn't take shifts off. I don't remember yelle doing much here in Boston.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm not sure why he couldn't score more but I'm sure playing for a crappy team might have something to do with it. Islanders were really bad back then until now. Not sure that is a good excuse for his benching. Front office and coaching maybe. I just remember him being a hustler and didn't take shifts off. I don't remember yelle doing much here in Boston.

Neither do I. :shakehead I too liked Thompson.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Nevermind Thompson (who I also liked gave my son pucks at more than one PRO game :D), that was the year that Sobotka had a great training camp and was sent down in favor of Yelle. He didn't have to clear waivers, but Nate did.

Don't even get me started on that. I have a bigger man crush on Vladdie than I do Knight :laugh:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Nevermind Thompson (who I also liked gave my son pucks at more than one PRO game :D), that was the year that Sobotka had a great training camp and was sent down in favor of Yelle. He didn't have to clear waivers, but Nate did.

Don't even get me started on that. I have a bigger man crush on Vladdie than I do Knight :laugh:

One of my favs...hopefully we get some War in Boston soon make up for the loss of Vladdy. Neelynugs reminds me of Vladdy everytime with his crazy profile pic. :cry:

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=558264

I was there with Nate at the beginning...what a bad, bad move by Claude.

Yelle led to losing Thompson physically and Sobotka mentally. Lies damn lies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
^ Glad to see you back, Dan! You've been been missed!

The previous Prov thread was a doozy without you!
:laugh:

I'm glad you missed me:heart:..I read this thread at work and thought the same thing.

It's as if I sold a successful business and then it gets run into the ground and I have to come back here and straighten it out.

Reading some of the posts I realize there are a lot of misinformed and pink hat Bruins fans who think they started in 2008 but I'll do my best to get this thread back on track.

I cant believe the swill that was posted in my 10 days on assignment

an aside- you read all the Harry Potter books?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I tried to keep the business up and running. But there's only so much a gal can do! :laugh:

As for the Harry Potter question: Yes. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to three things. Harry Potter, Star Wars and X-Men,

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I tried to keep the business up and running. But there's only so much a gal can do! :laugh:

As for the Harry Potter question: Yes. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to three things. Harry Potter, Star Wars and X-Men,

I'm great on HP and like X-Men but never got into Star Wars.

I want to do the Universal trip to see Harry Potter.

I know you asked about why Don Sweeney lets our boy accumulate DNPs but Cassidy can circumvent him and has. Cassidy and Chiarelli were both born in Ottawa only months apart. They were both very good players growing up in the mean canals of Ottawa. Chia did captain the Harvard hockey team so we are talking a pretty talented guy. He brought Cassidy here, and also had him in Ottawa where Cassidy had an excellent run with their AHL teams before going to Washington.

the thing that is apparent in Boston is their are some strong relationships and Chia and Cassidy is one of them.

I still think it can work between Cassidy and Knight.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I hope they can work together. We both know what his skills are. I hope Boston can reap the benefits of it in due time. Trying to remain positive here!

My brother and sister have gone to HP in universal and loved it. I'm afraid of planes so I dont go. I'm a car/train person. I'd probably start crying uncontrollably once I got there. The Potter is very special to me.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Per Divver: Morrison recalled from SC for the weekend. Koko and Morrow making the trip, but Lindblad is not.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Providence keeps Spooner and Koko they could get on a huge roll.

And it'll give me good reason to start going to games again. God, it got brutal going to games and seeing Koko, Ferlin, and Warsofsky as the only guys worth watching. Freaking having to watch consecutive shifts of Spencer Asuschak and then Ethan Werek was torture.

This Providence team when healthy has some exciting guys to watch.

Can't wait for Arnesson, Cehlarik, and (hopefully) Blidh next year as well. All guys I have high hopes for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad