2014-2015 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Would have been a perfect replacement for Cassidy ...

Not liking that Butch is still around and taking part in the Dev Camp. I don't think that his hockey knowledge, particularly in regards to the defense has ever been questioned, but I just don't like the way he handles young players and don't want him anywhere near the forward group that will be in PRO in the near future.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The bottom line is he's here to stay for this upcoming season unless some NHL coach decides he just has to have him as an assistant. Not likely now.

As much as several people here say winning is secondary to development, AHL coaches get fired for their win/loss record (which often times correlates to poor development) Not having their contract renewed is a different story (the old moving in a different direction line).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The bottom line is he's here to stay for this upcoming season unless some NHL coach decides he just has to have him as an assistant. Not likely now.

As much as several people here say winning is secondary to development, AHL coaches get fired for their win/loss record (which often times correlates to poor development) Not having their contract renewed is a different story (the old moving in a different direction line).

Looks that way.

We have been down this road before. I think it's possible to win games AND develop talent at the same time. Hopefully, now that Sweeney is GM and Cassidy has nobody above DS to go to, he will be on a short leash. Cassidy's coaching "style" is not well suited for young players IMO and the B's look like they will have a steady stream of them coming through PRO in the near future.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Like others, I like that Cassidy is working with our D but I don't want him even talking to the Fs.

Something tells me he'll be on a tight leash now that his buddy isn't at the helm, that's why Jay got the position he did. Sweeney likely knows Cassidy is a good coach overall but hasn't been happy with his handling of forwards and made some necessary changes. Cassidy will probably not pull the same crap now :fingercross

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I wouldn't be surprised to see Cassidy get the boot after this year and the job go to Pandolfo.

Perhaps they want to give Pando another year to get settled before taking over..

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Not liking that Butch is still around and taking part in the Dev Camp. I don't think that his hockey knowledge, particularly in regards to the defense has ever been questioned, but I just don't like the way he handles young players and don't want him anywhere near the forward group that will be in PRO in the near future.

Exactly.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Butch looks more comfortable than a pair of favorite jeans.

He will never be a problem again with these guys - same page

He's not dumb

Last edited:

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Butch looks more comfortable than a pair of favorite jeans.

He will never be a problem again with these guys - same page

He's not dumb

Do you really believe this prediction, or do you hope this is what happens, or are you just yankin' our chains?

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Do you really believe this prediction, or do you hope this is what happens, or are you just yankin' our chains?

Likely cautious optimism :)

What's the worst that can happen going into it with an optimistic attitude like this? Butch doesn't change his ways and is relieved of his duties? :D

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

here is what I think right or wrong but its more than my gut (I do have an a pretty good backyard/BBQ network:))

Cassidy for all my rants and his failure as the coach of the Capitals does have strengths

I think he is smart enough- I know he is smart enough to realize what is at stake here.

Sweeney has always been a second chance guy.

Pandolfo is in control here and he is a nice compliment to Cassidy/Dean as far as position players.

I am not sure about this statement because it was recent but 'who actually brought in the veterans the past few years for Providence?

Sweeney so far has a loaded roster in Providence with a bunch of kids coming in like Hickman, Cave, Accari, Blidth, Vitrano to join a half dozen holdovers like Griffith, Koko, Randall, Ferlin, Phillips etc....so they are young and I don't think the pressure is on Cassidy to so much win as develop. I therefore don't see a bunch of older players who Cassidy could clog the development of others with by leaning on to win. I think teaching and developing trumps the AHL trophy BUT that winning atmosphere is important to development. there is a balance at play here- and it should benefit Cassidy, especially if he is working as close to his boss as I expect. He should coach unplugged and be able to teach kids rather than run out Stuart and Johnson

My educated belief is Pandolfo will work well with him and I assume vice versa.

Providence will certainly want to win but they want guys that can help Boston and it looks like every roster spot is important for someone who may play in Boston.

Life is to short to wish Cassidy to fail- as far as Knight goes, I hope and expect him to to well in Minnesota and you never know he's a Sweeney guy.

I don't feel confident of my prediction Cassidy will be let go this season. Sometimes new regimes come in like Benning in Vancouver and they give it a year. But Sweeney knows Cassidy as well as anyone.

My bud who scouts said to me last year, there is a lot to like about Cassidy- he likes him. But he can be a yeller and he does play favorites at least that is the perception.

Sometimes we need to be saved from our selves.

Chiarelli landed on his feet in ruby red slippers and I believe Knight will also.

I think Cassidy has a legit chance to be an important part of this organization however, me and my boys have yet to see Sweeney acknowledge him and I don't care how hard posters try and link articles by Diiver or whatever. He hasn't.

Chiarelli out and Sweeney in ironically may be the best thing for Cassidy in a weird way- we shall see.

If it sounds like I am flipping I was at every DC practice and Cassidy was front and center and tied to Pandolfo and they seemed like on the face of it they were very good. Pandolfo comes with a reputation as a high quality person and excellent teacher. I know one of the parents yesterday told me their kid really thought very highly of Jay (never Pandolofo, which I thought was kind of cool) repeated multiple times.

Last edited:

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Cassidy is in a position where, if the boss tells him to make changes, he better damn well make them. I'm sure he wants another crack at an NHL bench, and this is the way to get there.

Clode, on the other hand, would have his phone ringing off the hook with jobs if he got fired. I wonder how open he really is to making those changes that Neely wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad