2014-2015 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac Rinaldo*

what can people tell me about vatrano? i can't find anything comprehensive on him

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
what can people tell me about vatrano? i can't find anything comprehensive on him

From Kirk's blog:

Brandon DeFazio and Frank Vatrano provide the ability to score goals on the wings for Providence as neither figure to be favorites to earn spots in Boston out of camp. Vatrano, who hails from East Longmeadow, Mass., has a wicked shot and made a lot of strides in improving his conditioning. He’s someone to keep an eye out as a player who played just one full season at UMass before deciding to make a run with the hometown team.

https://scoutingpost.wordpress.com/category/boston-bruins-prospects/

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Vatrano is built like a fire hydrant.

That's all I got

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I will give you the Reader's Digest version of Vatrano because I have a meeting with a customer this morning. Western Mass kid (East Longmeadow, MA) whose parents own a local Italian restaurant (could it get any more stereotypical). I don't know the family, but know a lot of people whose kids have played with and against him growing up. He's been on the fast track since he was young, playing against older kids on the local elite teams until he went to the Jr Bruins (and even then I think he was a year younger). His trademark is a laser shot and a super quick release to go along with it, and from what I understand, he's always had a great shot, even when he was little.

As he got older went into the USNTDP and played for the U17 and U18 teams. He had pretty good numbers in the WJC's as well. Committed to BC and somewhere in this time frame, the wheels came off a bit. From what people have told me, he's a great kid, but not the best student. He also worked at the family restaurant in the summers and was not a gym rat. One guy told me after a summer of pasta he didn't look like an elite hockey player, but then would skate himself back into shape in the Fall. If he was capable of doing that, he obviously has a ton of natural ability. I was told that he had some Clearinghouse (org that kind of oversees athletes headed into D1 programs and makes sure their academics are all up to speed) issues, but was admitted to BC.

I don't believe he played a game for BC yet when there were some issues raised about the veracity of his SAT scores and he was asked to leave the school. He transferred to UMass Amherst, where I was able to watch him play on multiple occasions. He was built like a fire hydrant and is one of those guys with a "nose for the net". His skating was good, not great, but the shot was as advertised. Cannon, and he gets it off extremely quickly. Even when he doesn't look like he's in position to take the shot I have seen him blow it past goalies. Had 18g/10a in 36 games as a "freshman" in Hockey East, before (not really a surprise) signing a Pro deal with the B's.

I heard that the Bruins told him after his short stint in PRO that he needed to be more dedicated to his off-ice regimen and he apparently took it to heart. I got to see him play 3 or 4 games in a local charity tournament a few weeks against and assortment of pros, D1 kids, and Major Junior players and he was dominant. Looked like he shed a bunch of weight, his skating was noticeably better and he was much quicker. He was playing the point on the PP and was able to chase down a kid coming out of the box that can fly and is a pretty good player in the Q. The shot was still impressive, and he was getting it off from everywhere.

He is going to be up against a lot of good young competition this year in PRO, but he could be one of those "sleepers". He had the ability to play well against great competition a few years ago at the WJC's and it looks like the fitness component is there now as well. Would love to see him on the wing of a "pass first" center in PRO, think he is capable of putting up some good numbers.

Gotta go, but hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad