HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Buying out Richards
Boyle and Stralman walk
Allen, Miller, Fast on team
Re-sign the rest

And you are looking at 67.5M roughly (1 extra F and D). Kreider on a bridge.

Extra 2.5 to 70 (which is unrealistic due to need for buffer) doesn't take Allen's .925 to Stralman's expected deal.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah, I'm much more worried about getting everyone signed than trying to find a center from elsewhere. I understand both are needed, but we need to learn from 11-12. Don't break up the team that got you there.

The team, though better than the 11/12 team, was once again not good enough though, without Lundqvist standing on his head (again), we dont make the SCF and we're out vs Pittsburgh.. centers have to be upgraded.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
by the way I fully expect to lose Pouilot, Boyle and Stralman.. but I think Pouilot is only as good as Zucc made him so I can see Miller fitting in with Brass and Zucc just as well. Boyle would be a tough loss, but its hard paying 4th liners so much money.

As good as they were together, you have to think a better LW on that line makes it more of a 2nd line type of group than it was this year.

BarbaraAlphanse

Actually, crunching the #s, I don't see how the team adds Thornton at 6.75 or even ROR at say 5.5.

It would mean at minimum losing Boyle, Pouliot, likely Dorsett, one of Staal/Stralman (Staal in trade for ROR, Stralman walking if Thornton is acquired).

Numbers just don't fit. Unless Nash/Brass are moved. Or Brass/Zucc sign for sub-4M which I don't think is realistic.

The numbers work if everyone takes fair deals, as opposed to breaking the bank.

Amnesty Richards - Avail cap space - 23.75 mill

Boyle - 2.7/4
Stralman - 4/5
Kreider - 2.25/2
Zucc - 4.2/5
Brass - 3.7/1 - QO, defer the decision on him until it is necessary. We don't have the luxury to extend him long term right now.

That is 16.85 mill tied up in our key players. Want to bump up Boyle to 3 mill? Fine, that's 17.15 mill for our key free agents. 6.6 mill in available cap room.

J. Moore will get 1.2. There is 5.4 mill left. Allen has a contract of .925 mill. 4.5 mill left. Miller .9 million - 3.6 mill available. Lindberg .67 mill, 2.9 mill left. Trade Staal for ROR straight up, there is about 400,000 dollars left over. Trade Staal and Dorsett... there's about 2 million dollars left over.

We have cap space. D. Moore and Pouloit will likely be casualties but we have the ability to maneuver and do everything under the cap.

BarbaraAlphanse

by the way I fully expect to lose Pouilot, Boyle and Stralman.. but I think Pouilot is only as good as Zucc made him so I can see Miller fitting in with Brass and Zucc just as well. Boyle would be a tough loss, but its hard paying 4th liners so much money.

I believe we will lose Moore and not Boyle.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Yeah, I'm much more worried about getting everyone signed than trying to find a center from elsewhere. I understand both are needed, but we need to learn from 11-12. Don't break up the team that got you there.

2011-2012 team had a good core to build off. Obviously, Prust was not going to be retained with that absurd offer from Montreal. Ripping it apart was not smart.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If there is no upgrade at center, they may very well just keep the whole team together other than Richards.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Considering the debacle with ROR's contract negotiations to this point, I don't see wanting him. He's going to expect star money on his next deal, 6m+ per year. Frankly, from what I've seen, I don't know if he's worth it. I think we already have a similar player in Stepan. If the goal is to get ROR and use him and Stepan as a copy of Bergeron and Krejci, that makes sense, but it's not so simple seeing as ROR is a contract dispute waiting to happen.

I guess I'm not as high on the player that ROR is as many others are. Miller is in a similar mold, but a better skater than ROR. I'd rather look elsewhere than overpay in a trade for a guy who is going to be looking for a huge payday without really having earned it yet. He should go to Edmonton if that's all he wants.

I know people look at them as typical Sather moves, but the truth of the matter is Thornton and Spezza are still bonafide #1 centers in this league and will continue to be for at least 2-3 more seasons. There's also Eric Staal who could possibly be had in a trade who is also a true #1 Center.

Then in the FA market there's Stastny who was a more dangerous player on Colorado than ROR. If they can keep the cap hit around 6m a year, wouldn't he be a better option than ROR, especially when we have two centers (Stepan and Miller) who are similar players to ROR?

Thornton, Spezza, Staal, Stastny are all players I'd look at before ROR, knowing the player he is and how he wants to be paid and all.

This^.
1. (everybody) Please acknowledge the obvious: Kreider + MSL are best with a speed pivot who has max get up and go [healthy Kesler if available, which he is not, for example]. These two Ws drive the line. So doesn't matter if Miller is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line 3C material. Every other consideration bends, buckles and breaks to the fact that (a) he is good enough a C, and (b) he is the best C available optimally for them.
So no on moving Miller barring something extraordinary.

2. I am not opposed to ROR at any price, the man has talent, but it is an issue of what we pay.
If we move Stepan, (particularly in a deal which moves Nash's contract and nets us Seth Jones), we can look at other creative ways to consider ROR. Possibly bringing in third team help for 3 way.
But ROR, with what appears to be his $$ first attitude -- granted he's entitled to that, but we're not looking to replace the downside of Callahan's darkside --- then he would become a short term acquisition in that once his #s start to go up, he will become more difficult to afford, and to move.

If ROR falls into our lap because they have an excess and want him out of conference and we can swing for something that doesn't bust up other deals contributing to the bigger picture, fine, by all means.

But let's not get in an uproar over him.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The team, though better than the 11/12 team, was once again not good enough though, without Lundqvist standing on his head (again), we dont make the SCF and we're out vs Pittsburgh.. centers have to be upgraded.

Just like we needed a big goal scorer after 11-12. Traded 2 roster players for Nash, let some depth guys go and had a terrible bottom 6 for all of last season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The obvious cheap reclamation project is Dany Heatley on a cheap 1-2 year deal.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'm not sure. I like Pouliot in the role of 3rd line LW a lot. Liked it when we signed him. But I think he holds those particular players back.

I have to wonder what someone like a Kreider could do with them, or even a Nash (which I dont know why they never tried to get him going?).. I guess because that line was too good.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So you'd rather not improve the team so they can take the final step and actually win the Cup? In 2012, LA didn't add Carter, their second line center, until the trade deadline. They did the same thing with Gaborik this season.

This team has a ton of free agents. Stralman, Boyle, D. Moore, and Pouliot are UFAs. Zuccarello, Kreider, Brassard, and J. Moore are RFAs. There's going to be turnover no matter what.

Nobody's talking about blowing up the whole roster, but we have a single crucial weakness to address. We need to add another center roughly of Stepan's caliber or better to create the depth down the middle necessary to deal with teams like the Kings and Bruins. We don't have anyone like that in the system like that right now. ROR would represent a unique addition should we be able to acquire him. He's a 23-year-old, two-way center who's already posted 50+ points multiple times. The advanced stats like him too. If we could land him for a package built around Staal and Miller or Staal and Brassard, then we should absolutely do it.

WE NEED MORE HORSES.
Well intentioned but win now puts us at too much risk of not ultimately advancing.

Total combo of moves more important than just ROR.
Also ROR = close to Stepan, and Stepan = NOT ENOUGH vs the Getzlafs and higher.
So we need to upgrade in other areas, and try to add a guy like Draisatil for prob, year after next.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The question we should ask ourselves is who was better overall this season, and who will be better going forward?.. Stralman was AMAZING in the playoffs, but Klein was also very good and was good since the trade.. Klein is signed for 2.9M.. Do we want to pay Stralman more than that to be our 2nd RHD or is Klein better?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Agreed, but if the team replaces Richards with the options mentioned in this thread they will again not be able to replace the depth because of the cap.

depends who goes the other way for a guy like ROR (example).. Staal makes 4M.. ROR has a 6.5M cap hit.. We only add 2.5M of cap space technically.. Staal does need to be replaced, but it could work depending who goes the other way in a trade for whoever it may be.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have to wonder what someone like a Kreider could do with them, or even a Nash (which I dont know why they never tried to get him going?).. I guess because that line was too good.

It's because that line was filling the role given to them. I think Brassard and Zucc can fill a bigger role, though.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Klein isn't better but we may be forced to be economical. If NYR sign Staal long term they cannot afford to play their d-corps that much.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
How was Raymond's relationship with AV in VAN?

Not sure what kind of contract he's looking for, but could be a fit at LW on the Brassard/MZA line

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The question we should ask ourselves is who was better overall this season, and who will be better going forward?.. Stralman was AMAZING in the playoffs, but Klein was also very good and was good since the trade.. Klein is signed for 2.9M.. Do we want to pay Stralman more than that to be our 2nd RHD or is Klein better?

In a discussion about relative cost and roster building, Klein might be a better option. He also should be even better after going through a full training camp with the group. In Nashville, he was more physical than he was here. I think he just wanted to keep things simpler because the Rangers system is pretty difficult for defensemen to play. It should be interesting to see what he's like as he grows more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad