Salary Cap: 2014/2015 New York Rangers roster & salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers certainly need players who can keep up of they are building around speed (see Richards, Brad). But they don't need 12 Carl Hagelins. When you have a one dimensional roster it can be easy to get shut down.

Right. If you had one line that was fast all the way across, that would increase the diversity of your lineup, but I don't think it's a necessity. It would be a nice luxury.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
In regards to the Defense for next season...

If Stralman walks, how would everyone feel about just slotting Allen in his place? Or perhaps using Allen as a trade chip for someone to play the right side (since Allen is left handed?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I will also add, just because your team has an identity...doesn't mean you need 12 forwards who ALL have the same strengths.

In my opinion the best rosters have a gameplan/identity they build around...but also have some diversity. I know that sounds like an oxymoron. To me it's about roles, at times even over raw talent. Like every player on the Hawks can move the puck, or at least are good enough at it to not be a detriment. Yet they still have found a fit for Bryan Bickell who has been damn effective.

The Rangers certainly need players who can keep up if they are building around speed (see Richards, Brad). But they don't need 12 Carl Hagelins. When you have a one dimensional roster it can be easy to get shut down.

Agreed. Not all of our players are suited to score off the rush. Nash and Hagelin in particular seem to be more effective when they get the puck in and cycle. ROR would fit in very well with those two, while Stepan, Kreider and MSL have much better luck off the rush. Gives you two potent scoring lines with two different styles of offense.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Agreed. Not all of our players are suited to score off the rush. Nash and Hagelin in particular seem to be more effective when they get the puck in and cycle. ROR would fit in very well with those two, while Stepan, Kreider and MSL have much better luck off the rush. Gives you two potent scoring lines with two different styles of offense.

That sounds even better to me.

Hagelin-ROR-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
? - Brassard- Zucc
Fast-Moore-Dorsett (something like that)

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I could definitely see him playing either between Nash and Kreider.. or maybe even between Zucc and MSL (I think its time to move Zucc up) to add some size to that lineup.. either one would work for me.

Id rather keep zucc and MSL separate.. I'd go with

Hags-Step-Nash
Kreider-ROR-MSL
???-Brass-Zucc
Boyle-Moore-carcillo

Trade Dorsett for a draft pick sign carbomb for cheap

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Over-payment is fine but, why in the 7 hells would you trade one of the few depth players who decided to step his game up huge for the playoffs? Hagelin is a player you win with and there is no reason at all to trade him if they are trying to win 'Cup.

Fair point.
Answer: only combo that seems certain to work, too much for FL to turn down. Substituting Hags with even a quality alternate like Brassard, don't see them surely doing it. But Hags would be killer for them on any of their lines.

It's a hit we have to take, gotta give to get.
It's a high price, but you're replacing wear and tear on Girardi + contract with Ekblad + ELC.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How many would move Kreider for him since we have a lot of wingers and Center is a glaring need?.. You basically get the same points (Kreider will probably be a 25-25 guy) but a more important position.

No.
And people talk about me being flavor of the month!

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF
we ever considered moving Kreider for a C, we'd be looking at Barkov or a package for Stamkos, like that.
Not ROR:amazed::amazed:
sorry, I don't mean to be overly critical but for giving up Kreider for less: :shakehead

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
No.
And people talk about me being flavor of the month!

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF
we ever considered moving Kreider for a C, we'd be looking at Barkov or a package for Stamkos, like that.
Not ROR:amazed::amazed:
sorry, I don't mean to be overly critical but for giving up Kreider for less: :shakehead

so Kreider is worth Stamkos, but you'll trade Girardi and 7 other assets for the #1 pick

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The problem with Evander Kane is you're probably going to wind up paying for his upside, not what he's accomplished thus far. His contract is a bargain if he can regain 30 goal form, but if he's a 20g 40pt player and you're playing a 30G price, that might be a tough one to swallow.

The tools are there, but the maturity is not.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Actually, crunching the #s, I don't see how the team adds Thornton at 6.75 or even ROR at say 5.5.

It would mean at minimum losing Boyle, Pouliot, likely Dorsett, one of Staal/Stralman (Staal in trade for ROR, Stralman walking if Thornton is acquired).

Numbers just don't fit. Unless Nash/Brass are moved. Or Brass/Zucc sign for sub-4M which I don't think is realistic.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Actually, crunching the #s, I don't see how the team adds Thornton at 6.75 or even ROR at say 5.5.

It would mean at minimum losing Boyle, Pouliot, likely Dorsett, one of Staal/Stralman (Staal in trade for ROR, Stralman walking if Thornton is acquired).

Numbers just don't fit.

How much are you paying Zucc, Brassard and Kreider?

Thesensation19*

#1 - Buy out richards
# 2 - Re-sign Zuccarello, Brassard, Moore, Stralman. With the cap expected to rise a whole lot this summer, I believe we can resign all of these guys pretty easily. Stralman may give us the biggest issue.
#3 - Ryan O'Reilly might be bought out. Mike Richards too. And Stastny is a free agent. Though Thornton with Nash is awesome or even adding Spezza (all players who would be better than Richards), we do have to look into the guys who wont cost us a trade.

Very interesting free agency coming up.
Also very intruiging news is that Ulf Samuelson might be out and go into head coaching. Though I love where this staff went and I want to see the growth of the team this way, I do not think Ulf is a very good defensive coach lol. I blame AV as hes the head coach but were looking at a team that I think still rushes the puck in the back end. Cant clear the zone when necessary. And still has issues in positioning. Most the former points but still. It be interesting to see who they would appoint to defensive coach.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Numbers just don't fit. Unless Nash/Brass are moved. Or Brass/Zucc sign for sub-4M which I don't think is realistic.

There's no way IMO Zucc should get a 300% raise on one good season.. remember Stepan and people who wanted to pay him like Mcdonagh based on 48 games? same with Brassard, he's never hit 50 points once,paying him over 4M is absurd.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

Rangers are in a tough spot. Their only hope is some sort of reclamation project on the cheap.

xChrisTilDeathx

May 25, 2014
Florida
All these solutions are guilty of doing too much. Its the reason why it took us 20 years to get to the cup. In hokey its more about line cohesion and playing as a group. Resigen everyone you can and cut the fat. The only thing we need to do is look at who is costing us. I.e. Richards and Nash. Buy out Richards and try and trade Nash for a proven goal scorer IN THE POST SEASON. The last thing we want to do is split this team up and try to plug in possibilities in the free agency market where well think they'll fit in.

Other than that resign everyone, let them get another crack at it, and bring up the kids from the wolf pack.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
could be low on some of these (boyle/stralman mostly)... but I think they are fair value.. we could also free up some salary if we could trade Dorsett. This is with a Staal + a prospect or pick for RoR trade.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.250m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Derick Brassard ($3.700m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m)
Brian Boyle ($2.700m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Kevin Klein ($2.900m) / Anton Stralman ($3.750m)
John Moore ($1.500m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,565,000; BONUSES: $350,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $535,000

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Yeah, I'm much more worried about getting everyone signed than trying to find a center from elsewhere. I understand both are needed, but we need to learn from 11-12. Don't break up the team that got you there.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
by the way I fully expect to lose Pouilot, Boyle and Stralman.. but I think Pouilot is only as good as Zucc made him so I can see Miller fitting in with Brass and Zucc just as well. Boyle would be a tough loss, but its hard paying 4th liners so much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad